Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2nd fill yesterday no restriction

Went in for my second fill yesterday and I feel hungrier than before the fill. He asked me if I thought I needed a fill and I said a little. I'm able to eat a lot less but its not lasting 3 hours.

When he put the fill in and I drank for the fluoroscopy he thought it was too much so he pull some out. He had me drink again and thought it was tight enough.I have heard the saline in the band can redistribute when Fluid is pulled out or pushed in. I don't know maybe my swelling hasn't hit yet. All I know is after my first fill I didn't progress off liquids for at least 3 days and mushies the rest of that week. Today I've done all mushies Breakfast and lunch (24 hrs out from the fill).

Maybe I need to email my nurse next week after the holiday.

I'm down 20 lbs according to my WLS doctors scale and I've held at this weight three weeks (1 week out from my last fill). I'm tracking my food and holding calories down to 1000-1200 a day and getting 2 miles or Zumba in 2-3 times a week.

I'm going to really work on my exercise. This week I'm walking DC with my family so that'll help!!!

How'd y'all feel after your second fill?

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

Until my 3rd fill, I didn't even feel like I had a band. I ate just as I had previously. Didn't lose but maybe 3-4 lbs in the 4 mths following my surgery.

It's normal to need 2+ fills to actually feel restriction. And I DO feel restriction (well, I did until I got my band unfilled a couple mths ago). Until you feel restriction, it's just another diet (thanks B52). I decided I was thru with diets, calories counting, etc. I underwent surgery so I wouldn't have to diet again. I guess I could've lost more during that post op time, but I wasn't willing to count anything. I waited until my band actually started working and then let it work for me.

Sometimes it takes a few fills for it to work. Have patience. It WILL work!

Marci

The band wasn't doing nothing for me until the third fill. Since then I've lost a bit of weight, but I still don't feel the restriction that others are experiencing. Next time i see the APRN I will probably go for another fill to see what it does. I'd rather be losing weight without having the band restriction making me ill for a bit of over indulgence.

During surgery my surgeon put 5.4 in the band (was only supposed to put 4) and I felt restriction. It did seem to loosen after a while. I went in for my first fill which put me at 5.9, and I lost 11.2 lbs that month. I just got my second fill yesterday which put me at 6.4 ( I have a 10 cc band) and I'm still on liquids. They have me do liquids for 2 days, then soft foods on the 3rd day, so I'm not sure about the restriction yet, but I know it's going to be there for sure. I was eating much less than I normally would, so I know I'll be even eating less now. I'm down 42lbs since March 13th, so obviously it's different for everyone! Good luck and I hope it happens for you soon!!

I've notice that the "restriction" feeling after a fill seems to subside with time, usually within a few weeks. I wonder if the initial restriction is due to the stomach swelling as a reaction to the band tightening? My APRN wants me to follow a liquid and soft food diet for two days after a fill, so I suspect that there is some swelling or other reaction to a recent fill.

I had my 1st fill this past Monday & I have no restriction. Im able to eat like b4 the band. Jus a slight problems with breads. I try to talk myself into feeling full or not needing more food to be satisfied. But I can definitely eat & like u said it's not lasting 4hrs+. Idk what to do cuz I don't want to gain any weight back. Think I need a 2nd fill. I have 3.5cc in now.

My nd says to give it up to 2 weeks to maybe feel different

All the above posts GREAT ADVISE!! unfortunately it takes time.....slow fills seem to better, being :"too tight" NOT FUN. :( I did notice that once I had a fill I too felt restriction later not immediately..and then yes it seemed to gradually wore off in the coming weeks until I got to a good fill or what some refer to as a sweet spot. My understanding is that once the saline is in the band it doesn't go out or dissipate, If they put in 5cc they expect to remove 5cc If not then they suspect a leak.

I agree with what the others have said above. It's fairly normal to not feel restriction until after several fills. Keep going to the doctor and getting fills, and eventually you WILL feel something! (When you feel restriction, there's no mistaking it!)

That being said...it is possible that your doctor is missing your port area and not getting the saline into your band. That happened to me....for the first 6 months (approximately 8-or-so fills) I felt NO RESTRICTION. This is because the physician's assistant SUCKED and wasn't injecting the saline properly. Going this long without restriction is unusual; if it continues after, say, 4 visits and you still don't feel any restriction, insist on a consultation with your surgeon to see what he has to say. No restriction after several visits could be an indication that any number of things have gone wrong (bad injections; a leaky band; malfunctioning port; etc.)

So....yes, it's normal after 2 visits, but just be aware that you should be feeling restriction SOON! And don't be afraid to speak up and talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns!

I just got my 4th fill yesterday and I'm finally in the green zone. With fill 1, 2 & 3 I was basically able to eat whatever I wanted. Smaller portions with fill 3 and steak was a no go, however, with fill 4 I can only handle a very small amount. I'm already down one pound lol. Hey ill take it! I have a 10cc with a 7.3 fill. bread and I are parting ways. See ya later carbs!! Im hoping this shelf is off my ass by July! Today I'm 252.

Now that I'm in the green zone my cravings for carbs have decreased because I get full with Protein. It took me 8 fills to get here. 10.5 in a 14cc band

Thank y'all for the encouragement. I so was hoping for at least a couple days of no appetite right after the fill. I'm one week post fill #2 and filling a little more restriction. Actually had my first stuck episode. I was eating Breakfast (on vacation and we were late getting to the free breakfast). Decided to eat some of my kids waffle and the second bite sent me running for the bathroom. Ouch!! I kept trying to bring it up, but couldn't. How do y'all PB? Hoping I won't do that again, but if I do I'd like to know what to do.

Vacation has screwed with my eating habits!! Hoping to get back to work with this new restriction.

it may take a few fills. I didn't start feeling restrictions till my third fill which was 3 months later after the surgery. its annoying waiting one month per fill... be patient.. you will soon feel restrictions.

bodyweight.png?ts=1370546556

Barbie, thanks. I am feeling full quicker and the weight loss is slow but at least it's going down. I know losing more slowly is helping with the skin too.

3rd fill is on 6/27 and I think I'm going to ask for another small one. I just want to get where I'm losing more than 5lbs in four weeks. Im staying with it and journaling every nibble. Had a lot of walking last week for our vacation that has helped me be more active which I know I need more consistently. Ugh, why do I battle making time to exercise. The days go by so fast. Well that's something I need to focus on.