Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need some nutrition help with working out

So I started working out on Monday. I feel sore but amazing. I havent worked out since I lost about 100 lbs so its amazing how much more I am able to do. I don't eat a lot of food. Basically three half cup meals which I sometimes do not finish and a nut/seed/fruit (very healthy) snack after dinner. I have come to accept I need to ad a shake and for those who know me know I hate drinking calories. My question is do I drink shake before or after workout? My trainer said to eat something an hour before which sometimes works with my meal time. If not I have a greek yogurt. I can not afford to see a nutritionist so was wondering what kind of ideas you all have and what do you do?

Thank you in advance. Hoping to fly past 100 at next weigh in on Tuesday.

My trainer said same thing "eat 1 hr before working out and them Protein Shake after".

I have been playing with this going into a strenuous workout empty, and the using Protein afterwards and I totally destroys me for the day. My best results have been light protein before, and then heavier protein after.

What about fruit and nuts before? Like an half an apple and some sprouted almonds? Would the fruit be too much sugar before?

What about fruit and nuts before? Like an half an apple and some sprouted almonds? Would the fruit be too much sugar before?

Try it and see what happens. I have better success with Protein over fat and carbs. But I really wouldn't over think this, unless you are doing long, hard sessions you probably won't have to do anything special

My belief is I work out to "Burn Fat"...which is stored energy I have put away for that time of famine....

So I do not believe in eating before working out otherwise I would burn what I ate, not what I have stored away...

But, you can't work out without energy and a little metabolism boost....

I run 5 miles 5 times a day, before 6am....plus weights 2-3 days.

Also, I have to avoid eating after I workout no matter how my body is screaming for it.....I always have a "Revovery" shake afterward....

My belief is I work out to "Burn Fat"...which is stored energy I have put away for that time of famine....

So I do not believe in eating before working out otherwise I would burn what I ate' date=' not what I have stored away...

Also, I have to avoid eating after I workout no matter how my body is screaming for it.....I always have a "Revovery" shake afterward....[/quote']

First of all what recovery shake do you use? Second my trainer said basically what you did about burning what is stored but she said have small Protein snack no sooner than an hour before. I don't eat many calories so I am worried about having enough. Trust me my yogurt has 80 calories and 12 Protein. I burn close to 300 calories in cardio and every other day will be doing weights (not too much) as well.

My brother is training for a 50k trail run for his 50th birthday and he drinks a recovery shake after his runs. It is the first time I ever heard of them. Can you please tell me wat is the difference?

Thanks

So I do not believe in eating before working out otherwise I would burn what I ate' date=' not what I have stored away...

Also, I have to avoid eating after I workout no matter how my body is screaming for it.....I always have a "Revovery" shake afterward....[/quote']

Omg who has time to so this? Not trying to be rude but....... Do you work? Do you have children a family? I couldn't imaging 5 mile 5x a day. He'll my job takes 9 hrs away then dinner for my family another 1 hr maybe 1 1/2 then it's hubby time. Then it's shower and bed around 1030. To be up at 530 and start all again!!

Omg who has time to so this? Not trying to be rude but....... Do you work? Do you have children a family? I couldn't imaging 5 mile 5x a day. He'll my job takes 9 hrs away then dinner for my family another 1 hr maybe 1 1/2 then it's hubby time. Then it's shower and bed around 1030. To be up at 530 and start all again!!

Hate to tell you this but a lot of people do it. If it is important enough you make the time. Maybe you need to include your family in your exercise program

The Gym opens at 5 am....there is quite a crowd there...mostly professionals, Dr,'s , Lawyers, School Teachers, people who commute to the city....

A five mile run takes me a little less than 45 minutes, not counting stretches and a warm up.....

I use their sauna, whirl pool, then shower, shave, put on good clothes , get a recovery shake from their "juice Bar", .then off to work....I'm out of there by 8....then off to work where I'm on my feet all day in clinic seeing patients.......

I'm 61 years old, kids have already finished college....it's just my wife and I....no big dinners because I don't really eat a meal.....

Working out boosts your energy, self esteem and confidence...afeelining of invincibility almost...bring it on!

When I don't work out, I miss it....I can feel th difference....

If I miss more than one consecutive day I feel like s*** all day!!! Moody, no energy, no umph!