Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone

Guest felicia

Guest felicia

HI, I'm a Brit and was banded on 3/1/04. I weighed 289lbs. BMI 41.5. So far, 20lbs down. I've had one fill and have another one scheduled for next week. I am still eating far too much but feel better than I have for years. I am going to the gym and have started a Pilates class. I think that my mind set has changed which has helped tremendously. Before the op, I would have 'head dreams' which I thought would never become reality but now I know they can. I will be able to ride my beautiful Andalusian stallion, I will be able to wear cool clothes in the summer, I will be able to shop in Marks & Spencer. I will be comfortable in a cheap airline seat!

These forums help me to keep positive and have faith in myself which is hard after years of failing.

I told my colleagues about the op and they were generally supportive but I didn't tell my parents until afterwards as I knew they would think it a waste of money. They are controlled people and can't understand how anyone could 'let themselves go' as I have.

Thankyou for this site - it is wonderful!

WOW Felicia just 2 1/2 weeks out and you've already had a fill!! I was banded 2/20/04 and my doctor won't do a fill for at least 6 weeks. Congrats on your loss so far...keep it up!!

Linda

Guest felicia

Sorry, I put the date in the 'British' way! I was banded on the 3rd January, so I haven't done that well really. I'm sure the next fill will help as I don't feel much restriction at all at the moment. My surgeon, Mr. Dexter, is very understanding though and said that he isn't concerned if I don't lose any weight until my band is at the correct restriction.

Hi, I had my band done (along with my sister) on 2/24/04. I can't believe you were allowed to have a fill already! My doctor leaves the band empty for at least 6 weeks"for our protection." But I'll tell you it is very discouraging. The weight I lost in the first 2 weeks is coming back, even though we're sticking to the meal plan. Also, no exercise except walking for 6 weeks. We must have a very conservative doctor. It is a comfort that he is so careful, but this pre-fill stage is hard.

Hi Felicia, welcome! Sounds like your doctor is right on target with conventional practices and has his head on straight. I like that HE told you not to worry if you aren't losing weight prior to a fill. Usually we only hear that from fellow bandsters.

candy, your doctor sounds just like mine. Where were you banded? It's always worth repeating that the prefill stage is NOT ABOUT WEIGHT LOSS, although when we lose some weight right after surgery it's so easy to think this is the start of a steady downward slide. But then reality sets in and it is a bit hard.

Don't let yourself get too hungry! That's even more important in the healing stages, and it's a good principle for all of us to remember. Stick with your doctor's instructions but don't worry about calories now.

Welcome to Bandlandia!!