Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Endorsment for Running....

First,let me say, I have been at my goal weight for a year now, thanks entirely to the band and nothing I did on my own. Believe me, I have been on many

diets over the past 30 years and was never successful at any of them.

But I have not lost any weight since meeting my goal, I fluctuate the same 5 lbs up and down, and always land back to my "Normal Weight"

However,:

I started a running program last spring.....first starting out with the C to 5K program,(struggles all the way) then the C to 10K program.

I now run 5 miles per day, 5 days a week, along with 3-5 sprints to finish it off.

I have always felt that my body has been continuously changing somehow, even though I have not lost any weight.

Long story short...I have dropped 2 clothing sizes since starting to run for exercise, even though I have not lost any weight.

I have also noticed that a lot of the loose hanging skin, especially around my waist and inner thighs has tightened up and is starting to vanish...

What they say about running is true...it will tone up your entire body, tighten up your skin, from head to toe, and change the way your body looks altogether.....

Just FYI.....

The naysayers that insist cardio wastes you away a doesn't lead to fat loss are talking sh*t. Running is the bomb!

Yeah yeah, we do need strength work and once you're fit you can really slack off and still be jogging with our heart rate really low and not get much benefit fat loss wise but if you run regularly an eat well, you wont be fat!

I remember reading an article where it was said that people who run regularly will never gain weight.

I know that is a stretch, and probably someone's opinion ( there's a lot of that going around).....

But I do "Get it". I am not afraid to enjoy ice cream, beer, etc, without gaining any weight.

I know that running will cover a multitude of sins.....

I remember reading an article where it was said that people who run regularly will never gain weight.

I know that is a stretch, and probably someone's opinion ( there's a lot of that going around).....

But I do "Get it". I am not afraid to enjoy ice cream, beer, etc, without gaining any weight.

I know that running will cover a multitude of sins.....

(cant run with you (yet b52) but i am walking as best i can...agree, it def helps/tones you up... always enjoy your posts. they inspire me to keep going..

I say great job all around, thanks for sharing, hugs

I agree with you about running, and can't wait to start again. I have a couch25k question though. Did you just say, well, I guess that's 60 seconds, or that must be 90 seconds? The training program that I listened to had synthasised (SP) music and I couldn't stand it. Did you start outdoors or on a tread mill. I'm ready to start, able to do 40 minutes on the eliptical or training bike, but I'm not sure how I want to start. Any suggestions?

Running is the best (most in shortest time) calorie burn - period ! I started by walking , 3 doors down the hall in apt complex and increased a little each day. It's important to walk as you would run - purposefully... Use the hips, pick your feet up shoulders back and MOVE not just stroll.

January 12th at Disney WorldI will RUN my second 1/2 marathon (have also done multiple Triathlons) so yes running Does Work.

Hope in Your Future is Power in Your Present!

Lee

There are some great c25k apps out there where u can listen to your own music or even no music and the voice comes on telling you when to switch.

I started my c25k last February and have since done 5 or 6 races. I have actually lost count. It could be more like 7. Lol. I have a winter 5k coming up on the 22nd. My husband has run the last 3 races with me (that does make it 7!) and we have decided to train for our first half marathon for fall 2013!!!

Running is the best and runners are the most welcoming people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.

First let me tell you I am not the most techie person in the world. I have a small, shuffle type player, I can't imagine taking my phone on a run with me. I need a tech trainer first, then a running coach! :)

I agree with you about running, and can't wait to start again. I have a couch25k question though. Did you just say, well, I guess that's 60 seconds, or that must be 90 seconds? The training program that I listened to had synthasised (SP) music and I couldn't stand it. Did you start outdoors or on a tread mill. I'm ready to start, able to do 40 minutes on the eliptical or training bike, but I'm not sure how I want to start. Any suggestions?

A good audio program will time everything for you....tell you when you should walk, tell you when to start running.

The C25K program I had was 9 weeks long, 3 sessions per week.

Started by walking 5 minutes, running 2 minutes, alternating. It then picked up from there.

Also, a 9 week program took me 12-14 weeks to complete...I hit many road blocks and would go back and repeat the weeks until I got it right, then moved on.

I belong to another lab band group, and there were people there that started the C25K program and quit after the first 2-3 weeks.

I have to say, I did not just decide to jump in a do it out of the blue....I was going to a gym for years, and using the elliptical with an audio program called "Cardio Coach"

After a year of that, monitoring my heart rate and working in a level 3-4, I felt it was time to step it up a notch, and was ready to start running....also I lost a lot a weight. I simply could not run when I was heavy...all that fat rising and falling with every stride was too high impact, and annoying........

I concur! I trained for and ran a 1/2 marathon last summer . I started a year before with C25K and then used Jeff Galloway's marathon training- he promotes intervals which really gave me the feeling I *could * do this . The thought of jogging 13.1 miles non stop seems daunting, but to think, oh jog for 2 1/2 min, walk for 1 min, that's easy!!

Anyhow, I'm still about 40lbs from my goal, and the weight loss has slowed significantly , BUT the running has really changed my body. I still hear from people how I look like I'm still losing so much weight, etc. Even though the numbers have been steady- the clothing sizes have been changing!

But this was in no way an easy journey for me. Having been overweight most of my life, I carry a ton of baggage regarding running. (Think grammar school PE class, etc). I cried a lot. I beat myself up. And then I had to finally accept myself. Accept that I'm a little slow (I have faith dropping more lbs will fix that), that I run intervals in longer >5 k) runs, and remind myself that every mile, no matter how it's travelled , is a mile further than sitting on the couch.

I never, ever thought in a million years I'd ever consider "running" a half marathon (walking one I knew was doable) and yet.I did, at age 42 and 190lbs. I'm the fittest I've ever been!

To folks who think they can't do it: it's all about baby steps. Even a slow jog for.60 secs. counts! But it's not easy nor painless.

And much like you, B-52, I had been doing many other things to get fit before I started C25K. Including hiking/ incline treadmill which is a great lower impact, calorie burning, body changing activity!

So, yeah. IAWTC.