Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When Can I Start Doing 1Hr Walks?

Hi there,

I'm a week out from surgery and other than my port site I'm suffering no real pain anymore (my port tends to hurt when I move around too much or when I lie on it etc)

Anyway I live with my parents and my father is an avid exerciser and desperately wants me to start doing 1 hr walks around our neighborhood with him. I'm happy too but i don't want to hurt myself or push myself too quickly.

Just wondering when the ideal time to start walking would be and what other people's experiences were?

I also want to go back to the gym and do weights etc but I read you had to wait 6-8 weeks!

Thanks for the help :-)

You can start walking as soon as you like, however I wouldn't jump right in with an hour long walk. You're still very much in the healing phase and though you might feel fine, it's very likely you will find you're worn out and tired a lot quicker than usual right now. I'd start with 15-20 minutes, see how you do, then gradually increase from there.

Admire your enthusiasm, but Missy is right. Yo uare still heaing. If you're up to it, start with 20-30 minute walks, and see how that feels. Don't start the gym quite yet. I don't think you're supposed to lift any weight more than 15-20pds for like 4-6 weeks, so take your time.

Congrats on being banded!

Thanks for your help both of you.

I think I'll start doing 20 min walks over the next few days and if I'm still feeling good in a week, increase it a little more.

Loving being banded :-) although having no restriction ATM is very hard! Always hungry but I'm hanging in there :-)

I was up to 40 min walks after 1 week. Advice- take a cell phone incase it is too much and you need a lift back. Don't apologize for it either. People don't understand that although it is laproscopic it is till surgery and your body needs to heal.

Remind your dad you did this for you and will begin exercising and how long when your ready not when he is.

Wendy

I started the day after surgery with 30 minute walks and now two weeks post op I'm back in the gym 2 hours a day doing my normal cardio and light weights! Our all depends on you're body and when you feel well enough to excersize...

Banded August 28 2012<br />Starting weight 293<br />Day of surgery weight 273<br />Current weight 258<br />Goal weight 160 5ft 10

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches