Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post surgery truth

Hi all,

I have my surgery scheduled for April 12th and I really would like to know how I will feel after the surgery. I have two young children (a 5 year old and a 2 year old) and my husband will be out of town. I need to know how much help I will need for the first couple of days. I know that everybody is different and that no experience will be the same, but I would still like to know how you felt. So if anybody could post how they truly felt right after the surgery I would appreciate it.

Thank you

Luci

Hi Luci,

I am not sure how it will be exactly for you, but here is what I experienced.

I did not have any terrible pain while in the hospital (stayed there about 9 hours after the procedure), and the pain I had at home was pretty manageable with the meds I was given by my doc.

I however had a real hard time bending to sit down, and worse trying to get back up. My husband had to pull me off of the couch, and also ease me down into bed at night. When I would walk, I would have to literally hold the lower part of my stomach. For some reason it felt like my insides would fall out, like something was hanging down. I also had pretty bad left shoulder pain, as this was from the gas they use during the operation, although it helped to walk. I can't say I had bad pain, just EXTREMELY sore for the first few days. I have read several posts from people who seem to have had a much easier time than me though, so I guess you never know. If you have anyone who could help you with the little guys for a couple of days incase you need it, I would say welcome it. You never know! Hope this helps, and good luck with your procedure! :clap2:

A lot of threads have come up lately on this very topic. Poke around and you'll find *lots* of people who posted their experiences, and I'd guess they're pretty truthful - don't see any reason for anyone to embelish or exaggerate.

I was banded in the morning and released around 2pm. We came straight home and I pretty much just dozed off and on until the next morning. I slept well the night before, and initially shook off the anesthesia quickly in recovery, but it must have crept back in. The next day I had a hard time moving around. Incisions, esp. port, were extremely tender and it was more pain than it was worth to get in and out of the recliner any more than I had to in order to walk around. As the day went by I felt a little better and that night I was able to take a very slow, very careful shower. Friday I was still pretty sore, but felt well enough to get dressed and do to the store, just for a place out of the cold to walk around. By saturday I felt pretty good and we were able to go out of town to visit my parents. I still had to use a pillow to keep the seatbelt off my incisions, and bumps in the road still hurt, but getting out of the house felt great. I could do some walking around, did a little shopping, but did need a nap that evening and I *never* nap. I started feeling a little etter each day - there would be something I could do each morning that I couldn't do the morning before... walk down stairs w/o pain, walk w/o having to support my stomach, get uo and sit down, sleep on my sides, etc.

I would recommend getting help for at least 3 days post-op if you can. You will be sore and tired. Your body will need time to recoup. I napped at least once a day the first few days after I got home from the hospital. My husband took some vacation time to be home with me and the kids. You really need to take some time for you. Let a friend or relative help out.

Good luck

Nicki

I also recommend allowing someone to help you if you have anyone available. Not that you CAN'T take care of them yourself, but you will need the time to rest and heal.

I left the surgery center within 2-3 hours of the procedure. A pillow on my tummy helped with the pain a lot. I dozed off and on that day.

If you followed a low-cal diet pre-op, you'll probably feel fine (nutrition-wise) and can get around the house well and feel pretty decent except for tired and sore.

If you DIDN'T follow a lo-cal diet Pre-op, be prepared for some weakness while you're on liquids only.

Don't plan on lifting ANYTHING. Your tummy will hurt if you do and your left arm/shoulder/back will hurt more if you use it a lot. The gas they use does give you soreness there, but it's nagging, not excruciating. (And, you'll have pain med, if needed) Kinda like cramps during your period...makes you not want to do anything, but it's not really that PAINful, just uncomfortable.

I guess this is kinda back and forth, with "yes" and "no" answers, but everyone IS different in how they handle surgery. Luckily, I had no real problem with anesthesia. My biggest problem immediately after surgery was trying to pee on my own...my muscles just were too tight and "high strung" so it took me a bit for them to "wake up" and to "relax" enough to go.

My only real problem was not doing a pre-op lo-cal diet...my withdrawals and blood sugars went nuts!!!

That was TEN TIMES worse than the surgery itself.

That's my two cents. Hope it helps.

Best wishes with your banding...you'll be a big loser like the rest of us real soon. Welcome to the family!!!

Nanster

If your children are very small and need lifting, you'll also want to figure help in for that. I don't think you're supposed to lift anything over 20lbs for a few weeks. Ask your doc for his recommendations.. Good luck!

I would say that realisticly with children those ages that you will need help at least 4 - 5 days.

I was shopping at day 4 at the grocery and could barely push the cart.....

children are very demanding and you need to get better in the beginning....no sense in messing things up when you have fought this crazy weight loss fight to get to this point.

Just being realistic....it hurts....give yourself the proper time to be OK.

Good Luck,

nancy

Thank you all very much for the testimonials. I will follow the advice and I will get somebody to help me untill DH is back. Thank you so much for sharing.

Luci

I would suggest that you line up a person to help or take the kids for a few days. If you don't need them, as much, then great! Considering you have a 2 year old, that probably won't understand. It will be a confort to you.

It's no telling, how you are gonna feel. The first day home, I just wanted to sleep and take my Tylenol. Every day, it got better (especially on the 4th day).

Good luck. Shawn

The first week can be difficult. My daughter was 10 months old when I got banded. My hubby stayed home with me for 3 weekdays and the weekend. By Monday I was back at school but still unable to lift my daughter.

I would plan on having someone there for 3-4 days at least and plan on not being able to pick up your kids for at least 2 wks.

Best of luck to ya!

Yep, you really need to be "off the hook" for the first 2-3 days, then on "light duty" with no lifting for the rest of the first week. Check with your doc on how long the "no lifting" policy should continue, but...my son was 2 when I was banded, and for a few weeks before my surgery, I taught him how to climb onto the changing table with me standing there. I don't know what I'd have done if he fell...but it worked well to take the edge off the lifting as I healed. You know your child and your home, but it might be worth trying? The first few days though...youneed to concentrate on YOU. Get some help at home till hubby gets back.

April is a great month to be banded! congrats!

Oh yeah, and watch out for little knees, feet and elbows. They can really hurt when wiggled or kicked into a new port! OUCH! Avoid 2-year-old tickle-boxes for a little bit! :(

Hi Luci ~ I am preband as well and the mother of 2 boys, ages 5 yrs and 3 yrs. My boys are going to stay with my parents for a few days, which they live 3 hrs away, but it will be worth it. Your post made me wonder if your 2 yr old is potty trained? My 3 yr old isn't and we are having battles right now b/c he doesn't want to do his big business in the potty....hope to fix that b4 I have my surgery.

I wish you the very best with your new band & your family!! It's a blessing (and a challenge) to be a parent, isn't it?

The first week was tough for me. I had my surgery on a Tues Evening. All went well, but I was in a lot of pain from my larger 3 inch incision (hand port is what my doc calls it) The muscles and nerves were cut and it was painfull. Every day got better. I took the whole next week off. I have a lot of tenderness at that incision and thats normal. The nerves make weird shock like pains and my skin is numb and feels pricklie. Everyone says its normal. It would be best to have help for a few days. You will feel better each day. Take it easy and rest. Walk when you are up to it. You will be just fine

Because everyone is different, you will need to prepare for some help. I too have a 4 year old and a 16 year old. Thank goodness my 16 year old was here. Dad was out of town and I really needed her help. Only for the first 2 days. I was sore from the pain of gas and was very tired. I was still trying to sleep off the anethesia. You will need some help with the toddlers for a couple of days. Take it easy when you get home. Good luck and we will be thinking about you!