Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking About Lap Band Surgery

Hello I am a 38 year old man. I have always been overweight even as a kid. Some due to a slow metabolism but mostly because I like food way too much. I have never had any lasting success with dieting either.

My ex wife had gastric bypass 2 years before she left me. We both couldn't afford the surgery and she was heavier than me and it always bothered her more than me so we agreed she would have the surgery and I would try to lose weight on my own. She lost 200 lbs and I didn't do very well. She of course changed since she had always been big and now she was getting lots of attention. She left me so she could live as she put it.

So I am no stranger to bariatric surgery. When she had gastric bypass the doctor offered lap banding but said bypass was better with the exception that the lap band can be tightened if it needed to be.

My last trip to a new Dr I had gained another 74 lbs since my last physical with my old Dr. I am now 434 lbs. I was ashamed and angry with myself and my Dr recomended I look into the surgery. She said Dr's are starting to move away from gastric bypass in favor of lap banding. I will be checking out my options because I am running out of time. I'll soon be 40 and I don't have any support. My family lives too far away and everybody else in my life has their own lives to live. I don't want to end up disabled because of my weight and I am headed that way. So far nothing major but as I age I feel it more and more. I apologize for the length of my post but I need to write it down. I have no support and I am on my own in this so I will be reaching out on this forum for help. I don't even know if I am going to be able to afford it yet but I am going to try and find a way.

Hi and welcome, I do not know if the band is better that bariatric surgery- also I am not qualified to answer that. What I do know is that you will get a lot of support from this site .I have learned so much from the great people on here. If this is the first time on the site take the time to look at older posts and read some of the blogs. Good luck with your decision to have a healthy life

lassie

Welcome to the site!

My sister had Gastric Bypass and ended up with a ton of complications and surgeries to fix them. She almost died from them and thank goodness she didn't.

I opted for the Band and had it in 08, but had some Fluid removed due to being too tight and moving and not sure about finding another doc or what.

I am back and got a fill several weeks ago again so i am back on the wagon. The band will not fix our problem, however it is a tool that is adjustable. It is still work to do what we need to do, but if your looking for support there is plenty on this site. I bop in daily to see what is going on and get support from those I do not know just from reading their posts!

It is a good community with alot to offer! I am sure you will get alot of responses on your post.. so hang in there, join the crowd and ask whatever questions come up! Good luck!

Hi and welcome

I'm so sorry you have to go through this, especially without the support. It's extremely hard and there's so many decisions to make.

You and I have a lot in common. I had surgery at 38 (I turned 39 last week, actually), I am divorced (so no support at home), and I weighed over 400 pounds. Like you, I have always been overweight (ok downright fat) my entire life. Some people actually told me they thought I was foolish for not jumping to something more drastic like the Gastric Bypass, but it's like I told them, I couldn't rationalize such a drastic surgery when there are reversible options like Lap-Band out there. So, I went ahead and scheduled surgery.

I had the Lap-Band surgery on January 6, 2012. I have lost over 100 pounds in the first 5 months since surgery. I still have a ways to go, but I feel SO much better. For me, having the Lap-Band is truly the best decision I've ever made for myself. My life so much better and I am excited for each day. I don't look at the daunting next 100 pounds as "if I lose it" or "I hope I can lose it", I look at it as "when I lose it", because I know with the help of my band I will.

I know it's scary and you feel alone but you aren't. We're here. If you ever need to speak privately to anyone who's situation is very similar to yours, feel free to private message me any time.

just want to say you will have support here 24--7 its great to have people that understand and encourage ----Prudence

Hi my older sis just had the gastric sleeve done. I want to have the lap band. I dont want the complications. My new insurance kicks in Sept 1 so i can take a class after that to get started. Hoping the band is a better choice. Goodluck to all.

I am 26 years older than you. I lost 90 lbs with the lapband. I can't tell you what to do. But I am hoping that you do something. We are all ready and willing to answer questions and the Dr who will do the surgery will have a support for you. Best wishes.

Thats wonderful 90 pds. Yes i have to do somthing. My life is in jeopardy. Thanks for ur input.