Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Someone To Relate To

I I'm 18 and trying to do this lap band thing on my own any tips

First of all, you are absolutely beautiful :) I am 21 and also trying to get this done. This site has helped me tremedously already. The way i am going to start is at the surgery center i want to get mine done, there is a public seminar held on the second tuesday of every month. i am going to that then i will set a consultation with a doctor. Idk if that helped you any.

I was 18 when I got my lap band I was severly over weight I was 420 the day.of my surgery and that was after the liquid diet I had been on for two weeks...but ive lost 155lbs and still at it and ive had plenty of struggles but id do it again.. Its hard at first ecspecially if your the only person who has it and noone else aroumd you supports you or understands what your going threw. Find a local support group.if there is a lapband center in your area talk to them and set up a consultation plus they can let you know when there support meetings are that way you can go to one and talk to some people whove been threw it.. And ASK questions! No question is stupid if you are wondering anything about it ask someone will be willing to share an answer!

I started looking into the surgery at 22 and got banded at 23. I started by visiting my primary care Dr, who ran tests to see if there were any other underlying medical issues that could be contributing to lack of weight loss. I then went to an orientation on Jan 17 after my new insurance kicked in and was scheduled for a series of appointments over the next couple weeks. I was given the go ahead to begin "dieting" around the same time my Dr submitted to insurance in mid February.

I would suggest attending some support groups and researching everything about the band. It's so much better to go in well prepared and to not find unpleasant suprises down the road because you did not research well. I also started a blog for my own personal journey and needs.

Also, you did not mention if you have insurance or not. If you do, you should contact customer care or look at your benefits booklet and see if weight loss surgery is covered. I stress that you check this out for yourself and do not rely solely on the surgical practice to do it for you- I made that mistake the first go around and the insurance coordinator told me I was covered without researching due to her assumptions about my insurance (there were three seperate plans, and the one that covered WLS was not the one I was on).

. If you do not have insurance, you will need financing (such as CareCredit).

Depending on your insurance if you have it prepare to be thrown threw some crazy loops I had to do so many things for mine a psych eval ekg all kinds of throat tests write am essay why this would b benifitial to me have my primary doctor write why he thought I needed it list every diet plan or pill I had ever been on... Just little petty things because they figured id give up becaise of to much hassle but no I pushed on!!

This is all very helpful I'm going to do some research now thanks guys !!!