Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Los Angeles woman went down to Tijuana to get a lap band thinking she would save money and it nearly killed her. If you think going to Mexico is a good thing for you I beg you to watch this news segment on NBC Los Angeles. It's also on Telemundo.

Dr. Carson Liu in Santa Monica got the referral about this woman who had the band literally sticking out of her abdomen after pressure from excessive vomiting due to severe infection caused it to burst outside. Dr. Liu is well known for his skill in not just placing Lap-Bands, the FDA approved version, but in fixing botched surgeries performed by other physicians. He saved her life and now has this important story for you. Beware and make smart decisions. Good luck to you.

Dr. Liu sits on Allergan's board for approving physicians for the Lap-Band, is a former assoc. professor at UCLA and started their minimally invasive bariatric department before starting his own practice. He also has proper after care programs.

http://www.drcarsonliu.com/

Thank you for posting this. You may get some backlash for it, because I know many here have gone to Mexico for their Lap-Band to save money, but I always worry when I hear of them doing it. Especially when I hear about the Mexican surgeons using outdated "old" model bands and the surgeons in the US refusing to touch or fill them when they return because of it.

I just don't think surgery is the time to be bargain shopping. It's your health not a pair of shoes.

Just my opinion. I don't begrudge someone their decision to use Medical Tourism to get their surgery, however you couldn't pay me enough to do that. It's just not worth the risk.

Thanks Mis73. This is a "'buyer beware" issue and I can't think of anything someone should be the more aware about than one's own health. As was said in the segment, some docs are fine, but there are many issues that can go wrong and be wrong, so go down or go anywhere at your own risk. How can you be sure the band is not out of date, not FDA approved, or of the finest quality? It is your health/life. And when you come back, you still have to have a local doctor to you who will make the adjustments that having the band requires over time. And the best doctors have proper programs to help you stay on course after the surgery. Seeing this segment is just one more important topic to keep in mind. Knowledge is power. And knowing Dr. Liu is a bonus.

Heck even if you've had lapband surgery in the US some Bariatric doctors will not accept band patients if they did not perform the surgery themselves, which is crap!

I initially checked into Mexico and knew a few people that successfully had it done there. I then discovered that my insurance changed their exclusion on WL surgery and I qualified. I am so glad they did!!!!

Ok, just saw the news video, well surprise, I had my lapband here in the US and the same thing happened to me. Mine was not due to an infection, but, due to a seroma.

Bottom line is, "things happen" and yes you should consider staying in the US for this surgery, but, sometimes you just can't afford it. Do your homework.

Ok, just saw the news video, well surprise, I had my lapband here in the US and the same thing happened to me. Mine was not due to an infection, but, due to a seroma. I hesitated to post the picture, but, here it is if you can handle it.

Bottom line is, "things happen" and yes you should consider staying in the US for this surgery, but, sometimes you just can't afford it. Do your homework. Hope this doesn't offend anyone.

Holy cow!!! How did they fix it?? That looks dangerous!!!

Well, I had a 2nd surgery done. This was 6 weeks after my initial surgery and my port and tubing were re-located to the other side of my stomach. The surgery took 2 hours because they had to disinfect the tubing and was a slow process. Why the seroma, we don't know. This is where "things just happen" and my band surgeon had no explanation and was very surprised. I was the first this had happened to.

In my opinion, I started working out too soon. My workouts consisted of very light walking on a treadmill and short distance biking. My doctor did not think this did it, but, I say surgery is surgery and the body needs time to heal and we should take it easy at least the first month after just to be on the safe side, but, we're all so different.

Would I do it again, heck yes, I love my band and hope I never lose it!

Unfortunatly complications can happen ne where. I would be super nervous though if I had my surgery in Mexico & had to go to a doctor in tthe states who didn't put my device in. That's a can of worms not many doctors r willing to take on! When it comes to ur life & health bargaining is NOT WORTH IT!!!

Just thought I'd report that additional press have picked this story up and you will be seeing it in La Opinion newspaper soon. Here is a photo of the patient and Dr. Liu. She is doing great, and keeping the weight off. Dr. Liu's website is: www.DrCarsonLiu.com He is very generous with his time to help guide you. Certainly there are good doctors, but what has been learned here? The band is called an adjustable band for good reason. It needs adjusting from time to time, and also that band on this patient was not an FDA approved band. It cut into her stomach and nearly killed her. Buyer beware. And work with competent people. You'll need someone who can see you on an on-going basis.

DrLiuandGloria.jpg

post-335917-13813140080522_thumb.jpg

I have a friend that was self pay and went to Mexico about 8 years ago and it almost cost her life. She ended up with infection so bad she was then hospitalized for 4 months. She had to have the band removed and could not get a new one put back in due to the damage the infection caused. She later had to have a gastric bypass and was fine with that because she got here and not in Mexico. That's a definate buyer beware. I wouldn't go there to save a little money because in the long run it could cost you alot more.

Location of the surgeon means absolutely nothing. Talented surgeons are not only located in the US, I promise you. If you do your homework and research your surgeon, you can find brilliant surgeons elsewhere.

I had my surgery in Mexico with Dr. Ortiz and I've had excellent results. I go to San Diego every summer so he will be doing check ups as well.

Anyway, location means nothing if you learn about who is cutting you open. The are horrible doctors here too.

Donklos, A quick question for you. Are you a WL surgery patient or are you thinking about WL surgery? Just curious, that's all.

Donklos is a spammer. JMO.