Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Concern About Recovery Time. What Is Your Advice?

Previously banded readers....What would you do? What does your surgery experience tell you, to tell me?

I'm so freaked out about having surgery that I'm thinking of moving the procedure up so I can get it over with before I change my mind. I was scheduled to be banded on June 21, but I'm thinking of moving it to May 31. Here's my concern....

I can have the surgery on Thursday May 31, or Friday June 1, but by Wednesday June 6 I have to be able to help my daughter through a 2 day dance competition. That means 5 days after surgery, I have to be able to be out of the house for 48 hours, survive 2 days (Wednesday and Thursday) that involve helping my daughter with changing costumes 14 times each day and walking about 1 block between the stage and dressing area in between each costume change. We have to be up early in the morning and up late at night. Then the following day (Friday - 1 week after the surgery) I am hosting the after party at my house. This will involve cleaning the entire house, making 3 deserts, and putting on a happy face from 6-11pm.

Would you have been able to do that? Is it smart? I want to allow myself to take it easy for about a week, but

1. I'm totally afraid I'll freak out and change my mind if I have to wait until late June. All that time to think about it will drive me to run!!! I'm just so freaked out about surgery.

2. I want to get started loosing weight and recovering sooner rather than later.

3. No matter when I do the surgery, I have 3 kids 13, 9, 7, I home school them and teach nights. No matter what I will have to hit the ground running fairly soon after surgery. At most I will have 5 days to "rest" and then I have to do normal life again with little or no help, and go back to work at night.

What is your advice?

I would stick to June 21. After any op you need time to recover, I don't think that you would have long enough if you chose the earlier date. Plus you will be on a very restricted diet which has a huge effect on your energy levels.

To be freaked out about surgery is normal, we have all been there, all had second thoughts etc. It is not that bad you WILL survive.

You can start losing weight now, you don't have to weight until after the surgery.

I agree with elcee....wait til 21st. its not that the recovery is gonna be bad, but the energy level you have the first week or so..is verry low becuase of your diet..and u if u exhaust yourself further, it will slow down healing.

Today is 5 days post op for me, the gaz pain has gone, I can walk and live quite normally. However, I still feel the incisions and walk with vended back, I still need the pain killers to be able to do what I do quite normally.

I don't advise u for May 31st though . Stick to your date in June, and believe me, u won't change your mind. At the end, the lap band really worth waiting for :)

Update us on your last decision, and know that we re all here to support u whatever u want to do :)

Thanks for that input, Banders. I'm going to listen to your wisdom and experience. Afterall, that's why I posted the question. So, thank you. I'm going to call the office today and if they an get me in on the 24th or 25th, I think I'll do it. That would be a week before the days I asked about and will give me an ADDITIONAL 7 days before I have to face the big 3 dance days (for a total of 13 or 14 days to recover). I'll let you know what happens,

I think thats a wise decision to wait until June 21, 2012. I will be two week post op tomorrow and I feel that it has taken me at least 7-10 days to get back to my normal self. My incisions are still sore. I wish you must success with your upcoming surgery -:)

You are going to do great! I was out of work the first week. By the second week I worked four half days and felt much better. Take it easy, rest, walk, drink:)

U might need an extra hand if u can:)

Wait till June if u dont have help

I soooo appreciate the advice and wisdom and I'm listening! I will keep my June 21 surgery date and try to rest as much as possible. I will have to return to work on Monday, 4 days after surgery, but I only have to work Monday and Wednesday. Unfortunately, I have to stand most of the time at work and I have to be teaching/training the entire time (professional, well dressed, up and lively), but I think I can do it. I will only have to work 5 hours each day. My 13 year old is exceptionally compassionate and he will be a big help at home. My 9 year old is very calm and quiet and she will be helpful in keeping the WILD 7 year old off of me. My husband will help too, but he has to work the 3 days after I have surgery. I'm only telling 3 friends about my surgery, and they will be somewhat helpful. But they all have 3 kids of their own, so they are pretty busy too. Now I just have to hang in there and not run away from surgery. I've never had surgery before, but my son has had 8 in the last 2 years. I know it's hard on the body and easy to over do it afterwords. Thank you all for your support and encouragement.

Wait til June- that will be too much I think with the dance competition and party, etc, plus kids. And you will definitely be ready in June- just keep posting here, we'll keep you enthused and excited- you won't back out!!! Is there any happy medium for mid June?

You can still start losing weight, practicing eating smaller and more slowly. I had my surgery on a Thursday and was back to a very sedentary job on Monday. I too have kids, didn't feel too bad, back to full strength at day 8 or so....