Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I haven't posted here in quite a while.

It's been a struggle to say the least since I had the Realize band implanted in me back in December of 2007.

Surgery date weight was 282, lowest I got to was 248, I now sit close to 290.

I have had so many fills and unfills they are too numerous to count.

The basic problem is that, with this band, I cannot stand the sensation of food being in my throat, or pouch.

I CRAVE the sensation again of having that FULL feeling in my stomach. I haven't had that in years, except when I have Soup.< /p>

I have vomited, numerous times on a daily basis, for almost FIVE years now.

Don't tell me I need to chew, chew, chew, or take smaller bites, or not eat certain foods, I have DONE IT ALL, and the fact is, this surgery made me bulimic.

I can't even eat what I want to, like a salad. I had one yesterday and wretched for a half hour getting it all out.

I am a 280+ lbs bulimic. Unbelievable.

Now it's gotten to the point that I have pain when I eat. I can feel the pain of the food moving down my throat, and it hurts like hell when it passes through the band.

The _ONLY_ time I lost weight with this band is when I basically ate a liquid diet of shakes. Can't live like that for long, who wants to eat shakes all the time?

I see my doctor in a week for an unfill. Have to drive two hours to see him. The original doctor who I saw in Surrey was a horrible, horrible surgeon who would scold me and chastise me for not losing weight. I'm done with him.

I don't know who I can see to get this thing taken out, there aren't many doctors in the metro Vancouver BC area that do this surgery.

I wish I had initially taken responsibility for my obesity and started eating healthier. Instead I took the easy way out. $14,000 later, what a huge mistake. :(

I'm not writing for sympathy, rather a warning to others who think this is a great idea - the long-term data is starting to come out on this procedure and it isn't too rosy.

Watch out for forums like this one as you'll see a lot of success stories - some of them are real, I believe a lot of them are made up by posters hired by surgeons offices, and a lot of them are in the initial 'wonderful' phase of their band, and haven't maintained their loss over the years.

If you want your band out, my surgeon operates in Vancouver a few times a month. Maybe he could let you know the price for removal. Or, maybe because you now have a contradictory diagnosis, you may qualify for a removal under BC healthcare?

I do understand how this can happen. I fear you may stay bulimic even after you get the band out. Is there any way you can go talk with someone who deals with eating disorders?

You say you "crave the full sensation in your stomach". You also say you are vomiting daily and are now bulimic. You also say because of this, you vomit daily for years.

With all due respect, your "warning" isn't relevant to others unless they too are bulimic and striving for a "full feeling" in their stomach that the band doesn't provide. The whole purpose of the band is to feel satisfied and suppress the appetite. Not to feel the bloated full feeling of over-eating. Being bulimic would raise your risk of a slip as well as potentially damage throat as well as your stomach, which would explain the pain you describe as well.

Many have maintained their weight loss for years, and the majority of the people who've not lost weight or regained it will admit it's their own mistakes that led to it. The band isn't a magic bullet. It's a tool, and if you don't use the tool the way it's intended it will fail or even break.

I say this with all sincerity and concern: I strongly suggest you seek a counselor for your eating disorder. That is a much bigger concern than weight loss.

I do understand how this can happen. I fear you may stay bulimic even after you get the band out. Is there any way you can go talk with someone who deals with eating disorders?

I was bulimic because of the band, but I had it removed and the lapband induced bulimia has gone away. You are implying this is self-inflicted. It is NOT!!!!

I had revised from band to bypass and I no longer throw up. It isn't fun being bulimic and it was really stressful.

Bert99...I can totally relate!

I was bulimic because of the band, but I had it removed and the lapband induced bulimia has gone away. You are implying this is self-inflicted. It is NOT!!!!

I had revised from band to bypass and I no longer throw up. It isn't fun being bulimic and it was really stressful.

I did not imply it was "self inflected" nor "fun". Read my post again.......

The only weight I have ever lost was from the Optifast. Waste of money for the Lapband. $18,000 out of pocket mistake. I never had an eating problem, but my doctor said oh yes it will help....he must have gotten a cut of the money. I was sceptical but took his word and did it. It has been 4 years now. There is a weightloss place here in Edmonton that is based on optifast, I think that is going to be the winner. I would get this band taken out if it wasn't for being in surgery again.

I did not imply it was "self inflected" nor "fun". Read my post again.......

then why did you say you fear she will still be one?

Alot of people have revised from band to another WLS and they stopped throwing up. I know from my experience!!!

Well I think the original posters surgeon was negligent. My doctor NEVER in a million years would have done lap band surgery on someone who was Bulimic.

Well I think the original posters surgeon was negligent. My doctor NEVER in a million years would have done lap band surgery on someone who was Bulimic.

Don't you all get it? Band causes us to be "bulimic" because we eat then throw up because we can't get it down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

then why did you say you fear she will still be one?

Alot of people have revised from band to another WLS and they stopped throwing up. I know from my experience!!!

In the original post she said she has thrown up several times a day, every day ,for 5 years ...............

Get off your soapbox....really

My post was understanding and supportive.

World English Dictionary

bulimia (bjuːˈlɪmɪə)n 1. pathologically insatiable hunger, esp when caused by a brain lesion 2. Also called: bulimia nervosa a disorder characterized by compulsive overeating followed by vomiting: sometimes associated with anxiety about gaining weight [C17: from New Latin, from Greek boulimia , from bous ox + limos hunger] bu'limic n , — adj

I also fear the OP will have many other problems after throwing up so much for so many years. She could have caused some severe damage to her stomach, esophagus, teeth and who knows what else. I was being understanding and supportive and trying to direct her to some real help.

In the original post she said she has thrown up several times a day, every day ,for 5 years ...............

Get off your soapbox....really

My post was understanding and supportive.

I have thrown up for TWO years!!!!!

After I revised to bypass, I am not throwing up anymore and there are others that had revised from band to other wls have stopped throwing up as well. It is not a mental thing, it is band induced. I couldn't eat dense Protein without it coming back up. I did not have any damage.