Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fill Am I Too Tight

I had my 3rd fill yesterday and I'm up to 5 cc in a 10 cc band. I think I'm too tight. Yesterday I got the fill at about 9:30am and drank the Water. I got home and was having problems keeping anything down and the heartburn is unbearable. I called my md office this morning and of course my doc is not in today. The nurse told me I could go to the hospital and they would take it out or to try and sip hot liquids with salt. I'm sipping and it seems to be staying down but I haven't tried anything else. Should I go to the md in the morning or will it get better on its own?

Thanks for any advice. I'm so confused and frustrated.

The same thing happened to me except mine didn't tighten until four days after the fill. The heartburn was insane! I waited three days to call my dr thinking it would get better. He took all my fill out to let the band rest. I go back tomorrow (4 days later) to get another fill. I heard on here that u should take a really large drink of Water to test your fill. I had never thought of that but u can bet I will be doing it from now on!

Thanks. I really don't want to take it out but I don't want to be miserable either. I will absolutely try the Water thing next time.

Can only speak for myself. I have experience the same thing and it usually gets better in a few days. Probably inflammation.

My last fill was that way for a week.

It's just me, but I'm aggressive and I would think if I went back to get a unfill so soon, I may regret it a week later.

BTW, I cannot take large swallows of Water. Never without feeling something adverse.

That's what I was thinking. I don't want to take it out and have to wait. Did you do anything that gave you some relief in the meantime?

I felt fine for four days before I had any problems. It was four days later it started and when I say heartburn I'm taking heartburn so severe I didn't sleep for three days! I couldn't eat anything and even sipping hot beverages was hard for me. My dr told me never to wait that long to call as I could cause damage or slippage.

I ate tums like candy and the reason I waited four days to call is cause I kept hoping it would get better! I tried to sleep sitting up but it just hurt too much.

My last fill was Feb 27th and it's definitely too tight (for me). I PB on liquids for most of the day. I would like to keep it tighter (like B 52 has stated) but I don't think I should be THIS tight. I made an appt for this Friday to get a tad taken out. In 15 months, I have yet to have this problem. Granted, I've lost 14 lbs in 5 weeks which is more than I've lost in one sitting since last summer, but it's too uncomfortable. I've been slacking on taking my thyroid pills because I PB on those too and they're TINY.

I would play it by ear and take it slow for a couple of days, but if you're going on a couple weeks of this (trust me it sucks) I would maybe weigh your options and perhaps get a tiny bit taken out. Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks. I will. I may try some broth later and see how it goes.

You can also try sucking crushed ice. that helps to reduce inflammation and swelling.

Andrea I agree that it sucks to be too tight. Life with a band is not supposed to involve medically induced bulimia or near starvation. Life with a properly adjusted band should mean that you are able to eat a wide variety of healthy foods , not be constantly hungry and that you should be able to lose or maintain weight.

There are many people on this board that seem to advocate having a really tight band. It may work for them and if it does then great but it worries me that they seem to encourage(push) others into getting just a bit more fill. It makes people believe that there is some kind of Nirvana where they will truly eat minute amounts and never be hungry and never think about food - for most this is not true.

You better check with your doctor. While a tight band sounds like a recipe for great weight loss, it can also cause damage to your band and perhaps contribute to a slip or errosion. I just had a slight unfill and my doctor was thrilled that I came in. 9 I too wanted to keep my fluid) Just a tiny bit too much caused me to vomit and have horrible heartburn. Like Elcee said, you should be able to eat a variety of healty foods and still lose or maintain your weight. if your body thinks it's starving, it will hold on to every pound.

Better to be safe than sorry....you wouldn't want to lose your band for good.

Good Luck! :)

Stephanie it sounds like you need a slight unfill. I have had to go in 2 times for an unfill. I didn't like paying $150 for the unfill and a week later another $150 to be filled again but it was $600 well spent. Never do I want to go through that again!

Well I'm going in tomorrow morning and hopefully get just a slight unfill. I'm so miserable right now. Thanks everyone for the advice. I was really confused.

The first time I got an unfill I suffered for about 7 hours before going in. Instant relief as soon as she pulled it out, it was crazy! The 2nd time I caught it just when I knew it was happening so lesson sure was learned from the first time! Now I make sure I do liquids for 2 days after a fill.

Will I have to be on liquids or soft diet after an unfill? I'm starving and the only thing I can keep down right now is hot tea. It's so not worth it right now. I am hoping for instant relief.