Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Those Already Banded

Sign in to follow this  

Ok time is passing and a few have already been banded. Julz i know your day was yesterday. How is it going for you all. How did the procedure go etc.. How sore are you? What should us waiting for our day know or need? LOL yea i know alot of questions but for now we are living vicarosly though you guys. So lets hear from everyone.

Scorpiolady (Julz) wants everyone to know her surgery went well and she's doing great, a little sore. She will post details when she gets a better Internet connection.

I was banded on the 20th and felt pretty good in a couple days. The only lingering problem was the dreaded gas pains, which worked up to my left shoulder/neck. They were gone about 10 days after surgery. I will post a list from my blog of the things I would recommend. I have my original list too. My main problem was I overestimated how much I would be eating... Now I have a kitchen full of broths and other things I won't be using anytime soon :rolleyes:

If I were to do it again, this is what I would buy:

General Meds:

- sublingual B-12

- Biotin

- O-purity Band Multivitamin or Centrum Chewables

- Calcium + Vit D & K chews

- chewable or dissolveable Iron supplement

- liquid adult Tylenol

- Probiotic Pearls

- Milk of Magnesia

- Scarzone to put on incision sites after they have fully closed and the steri strips have come off.

Stage One:

- Peewee Pillowpet to hold against stomach.

- Lipton cup-a-soup Cream of Chicken

- Soups that can be pureed and put through a sieve.

- Peppermint tea

- Protein powder- JAY ROBB tastes amazing. Buy a couple sample packs at your local Vitamin or Supplement store. I am a cheapskate and was unwilling to buy the Jay Robb at first, but I just happened to be in a supplement store getting a chewable iron last week and decided to go for it. I would definitely spend the extra money quality!

- 3 Protein mix shakers

- Yogurt without seeds or chunks. Only two or three cases = 8 to 12 yogurts.

- SF syrups

- Pillow "chair"

Stephyanders,

I can't get the "quote" button to work tonight but was wondering if you could answer some questions and/or explain some of the items on your "buy" list?

1.  Sublingual B-12:  My dietician never mentioned B-12.  Is this a supplement everyone should use?  If so, is the sublingual version better absorbed?

2.  O-purity Band multivitamin or Centrum Chewables:  I have been using the Centrum chewables recently.  Any advantages to the O-purity brand?

3.  Calcium + Vit D & K chews:  My dietician (trained by my surgeon) said to use calcium citrate for better absorption.  When this was being discussed at a small group, pre-op meeting, my surgeon's NP said our surgeon didn't possess the belief that Calcium citrate was better absorbed than calcium carbonate, which makes it very confusing.  I bought the costco type that you recommended at another time and find them good for the amount of calories.  Have you ever been told that the citrate ones are better than the carbonate ones?    

4.  Chewable or dissolveable Iron supplement:  When I had my appendectomy last week, I was told my iron was a tad low.  I am going to get clarification on that at my follow-up appointment.  Prior to that, my dietician said we would be informed after surgery if we needed iron.  Does your surgeon routinely place patients on an iron supplement?  If so, do you have a recommendation.

5.  Liquid adult Tylenol:  Did you use this?  When I talked to my doctor's NP, she said I would be fine using the gel caps I typically used.  The thought makes me nervous, but her personality is much different than mine.  She goes by the try-it-so-you'll-know philosophy where I prefer cautiousness initially.  

6.  Probiotic Pearls:  Could you please explain these?

Stage One:

1.  Pillow "chair":  Do you mean the type that is used for reading in bed?

Thank you for your help---your knowledge about nutrition/supplements is incredible!