Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Is This Supposed To Feel??

Hi everyone, I was banded in January 12', felt no restriction and gained weight. After six weeks had first fill. I was so glad that I was having episodes of food getting 'stuck'. A few episodes were very painful and lasted for about 45 minutes. I was glad that I finally was feeling like I had a lap band in me. Now I think I have learned that when I feel a little full, all i have to do is wait a few minutes and I can resume eating. HELP! I thought that the lap band would make me feel full after eating a normal amount of food and that I would feel full for a few hours. Instead, I get an uncomfortable feeling of being 'choked' or food caught in my throat. I did not realize that I would feel hungry and that my stomach would feel empty while eating. For example, when I have a plate of food and only can eat one third of it before feeling like I am choking, I am still hungry. My throat feels full, but not my stomach! Is this what the lap band is supposed to feel like? I realize that I am going to have to re-think this whole thing. I would like to know if this is how others are feeling. I go for another fill in a few weeks, what is it supposed to feel like when it gets to the "green zone" everyone refers to?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Couple of questions: Are you eating slowly and chewing your food well? Are you eating your Protein first?

I had my Pre surgical appt yesterday and they said your first bites should go straight to your stomach but your sense of fullness will be higher up in the chest. Just a little pressure there. If you eat too much then it will feel worse. She said to eat and when you feel that sensation to stop and wait. If it doesn't go away in ten minutes you are done. If it goes away after a few minutes take one bite and wait some more. Eating should take 20 minutes.

And she sId it is normal to gain weight post surgery before your first fill because liquids can have high calorie contents. That your focus is healing in that six weeks not weight loss.

Sound like you are eating too fast. Your full feeling now will be totally different than what your used to. For me its just a desire to not east anymore or the hiccups.

I don't feel "full." Not the gut busting full like I had pre-band. I'm satisfied. That's the only way to describe it. I get the same feeling you do, pressure in my throat, and I know I've had enough. That feeling does go away, but you should not be feeling hungry after that. Of course, this all depends on where you're at with restriction too. My first year was tough because I didn't have proper restriction, but TBH, I never felt "hungry" right after eating. Some of your issue might be head hunger and that's just something you'll have to work on along the way. Good luck. :)

I no longer feel full after eating. I eat a small portion and I am usually satisfied. What you have to get used to is that you probobaly wont have that full feeling like you used to. If you are anything like me, I didn't stop eating until I was past that full feeling and then it was too late, I would be stuffed! I got used to thinking that was the way to tell that I had enough. It's a hard one to get over, it was only about a month ago that I experienced that real full feeling after eating about 1/2 cup of rice with my meal and it was then that I realized that I don't miss that feeling at all anymore.

I am only 2 weeks post op, I just switched to mushies last Friday. I felt restriction until the switch. I think I had swelling and it was helping me not be hungry. (I guess?) now that I am recovered and back to work its the same old story. Im hungry all the time:( I have increased my food a little but not to the point of what I was eating before. I am definitely having to use willpower. I only feel the pouch is full for like 30 min after I eat, then it's back to being hungry. Is this because of eating mushies?

Don't give up girl, it is hard but we can do it!! I have heard it takes several fills before you are in that green zone.

Loneil, what do you consider mushies? Are your mushies high in Protein? That should help with the hunger. Eating a half a cup of mashed potatoes or mac and cheese will not keep you satisfied. The mushie stage sucks because (well for me I have a weird texture thing with food) nothing looks good. I did a lot of chili and tuna in that stage. I would steer clear of mushies that are carb heavy though.

Here is the thing...Post surgery prefill is all about healing. You are likely to gain weight. It's ok! But before your appointment log everything you eat so the doctor can know and gauge what you are eating and can fill you accordingly. If you lie and say I am eating small meals...he will only give you a small fill but if you are actually eating large meals and tell him the truth he is more likely to give you more of a fill because you need more restriction. Does that make sense?

Loneil' date=' what do you consider mushies? Are your mushies high in Protein? That should help with the hunger. Eating a half a cup of mashed potatoes or mac and cheese will not keep you satisfied. The mushie stage sucks because (well for me I have a weird texture thing with food) nothing looks good. I did a lot of chili and tuna in that stage. I would steer clear of mushies that are carb heavy though.[/quote']

Andrea- I am the same way! I can't even think about purred veggies! Gross! I have had mashed potatoes a couple of times, but I'm doing lots of fish. I buy tuna, and a couple of times bought cod and "fluffed" it up. Besides that just cream of wheat, Soups, pudding, yogurt, applesauce.