Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advise, Help, Assistance

I am really having issues right now. I was banded on 11/29/1 and have lost 15.5 lbs since. I have 7 cc's in my band I have a large band. The issue I am having is that it seems when I have a "good" weight loss week I am in "hand in mouth" mood the next week. I so desperately want to get to 250 before the end of March but I seem to be my WORST enemy. Does anyone else have this issue?

Do I need a shrink? Im going to email my doctor and see if she has any ideas. Im so disappointed in myself i thought the band would be the tool I needed to help me get rid of all this fat ive gained.

Please help any advise is welcome!!

you have to give your body time to really adjust to weight loss before worrying about the next weight loss. thats what Im doing

Not sure I can really help but I do feel your pain. I haven't lost as much as I've wanted to either, and I've had a lot of bad days. All we can do is keep following the rules & working the plan; the band is only a tool as much as we use it that way. I just got a fill Thursday and so far I feel it is a good one; way less hunger and the main thing, feeling fuller longer. I just have to get my brain & my stomach to start communicating; my head always thinks I'm hungry even when I'm not.

Can you clarify what you mean by "hand in mouth mood"? If you're saying that every time you enjoy some weight loss, you sabotage it by overeating or snacking/grazing the following week, that's a form of self-sabotage. The reasons for self-sabotaging behavior are sometimes hard to identify. In my case, I think I do that kind of thing because I hate change, I want to have my cake and eat it too, and I sometimes feel like I'm destined to fail anyway, so why not fail with a plate of brownies?

I have found counseling to be very helpful and encourage you to pursue that. Your bariatric surgeon should be able to refer you to someone experienced with WLS and eating disorder patients.

Hi Wendy,

I am sorry to hear that you are feeling discouraged. The band is the tool that will help you lose that excess fat. The thing I have discovered about the band is that it makes me completely aware of everything that I eat. I struggle with eating too much, and eating the things that I should not be eating. The thing that I have found that works the best for me is having a strong support system of friends and family that are completely supportive of the effort I am putting into losing the weight. In a way you are right, at times we are our own worst enemy, but it isnt about making a bad choice and beating yourself up it is about what you do after you make the bad choice. Making bad choices with a diet can be completely discouraging and I am not saying that you shouldnt be feeling how you are feeling but I think it would be better for you if you make small goals for yourself and Celebrate reaching those. This process is a one step at a time process and the wieght will not melt off nearly as quickly as it was gained.

I use the My Fitness Pal calorie tracker and it has helped me enormously. I find that it can be annoying and tedious at times as far as recording everything I have made and eaten but I also found that now the second someone offers me something that I know I shouldnt eat I take out my phone and look up the calories depending on my calorie goal I may or may not take it. More often then not I refuse food offered by friends or coworkers because I know that it will set me back and I did not put my body through this just to let myself down. You can do this, you are strong enough to make this work. Just believe that you made the right choice for yourself and hold your self accountable for everything you choose to eat and everything you choose not to eat.

Good Luck with everything ~ Jules

I am really having issues right now. I was banded on 11/29/1 and have lost 15.5 lbs since. I have 7 cc's in my band I have a large band. The issue I am having is that it seems when I have a "good" weight loss week I am in "hand in mouth" mood the next week. I so desperately want to get to 250 before the end of March but I seem to be my WORST enemy. Does anyone else have this issue?

Do I need a shrink? Im going to email my doctor and see if she has any ideas. Im so disappointed in myself i thought the band would be the tool I needed to help me get rid of all this fat ive gained.

Please help any advise is welcome!!

Hi wendy

first of all i really dont think you need a shrink you may need a small band fill just to take the edge off the eating thing which will probably give you more control. I understand that its very difficult and we all want to lose all our excess fat within a year but unfortunatly that doesnt always happen. I had my band 4 years ago and i lost 84lbs but it took me almost 3 years, then i had to have surgery and my band was deflated and then the surgery was cancelled and by the the time i had my surgery i had put on 56lbs (cos i ate too much) so now im on my way down again i have lost about 20lbs in a year and im pleased as we all must remember that any weight loss is a great acheivement and the slower it takes the more in control you are, i f we loose it fast our bodies dont get used to it and we are hungery and i found that once i had reached the right level in my band the weight was easier yo keep under control and loose, thats why i recomend that you have a small band fill and keep gong a little at a time untill you reach that level

good luck and well done wth the amount that you have lost

april

Hey 15.5 pounds in a couple of months is actually not bad! Hold your head up! That is actually a good start. I think you may just be expecting huge numbers but your numbers are actually good and steady. Think about it. 11/29 was just a couple of months and a week or so ago!