Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 month supervised diet

hi everyone , i have to do the 6 month diet and i was wondering what kind of diet plan they put u on and i was wanting to try to start now just so i can get used to it.i have already cut out soda and i started replacing one meal with a Protein shake.i have a bmi of 46 and i dont want to get below 40 not sure to loose or not some say u need to lose some so they see your ready for the change and some say dont cause they think you dont need the surgery.i would love some help and one other thing i cant get my Protein Powder to mix very well any tips for me would be great thanks.

I did the 6months of dr supervised diet. I was getting Lipotropic injections which is basically B12 shots with other vitiamins in them too. It supposed to help you have more energy and burn your stored fat. I also quit the sodas but i still had a problem with bread and potatoes. I started the program at 285 lbs and finished the 6 months at 274 and it fluxated up an down each week. About 6 weeks before mine was up i got really serious about this thing and started doing the replacement shake for my lunches and eating a normal dinner at night. I also started using www.myfitnesspal.com to help me keep up with how many calories i was consuming thru out the day. I am now at 272 and i have been approved by the insurance company i am just waiting on a date. I can tell you that when i started this in April it feel like it was so far away but really it goes by pretty quickly. Good luck and be honest with the dr when you guys talk about your weaknesses during the monthly consult and weigh in.

Shirley,

The 6 month supervised diet has me perplexed. My surgery is in two days, but I also had to go on the "diet" for insurance reasons.

The diet I was placed on was a sham. I was given just enough information that made my visits satisfy the insurance company I suppose, but it was really just a joke.

If I did well from month to month then I was reminded that if I lose too much weight that insurance wouldn't pay for my surgery. If I didn't lose weight, or gained then I was made to feel like I was a bad person for not being successful with the "tips" I was given.

With two days to go till my surgery, and a lot of success with the pre-op diet, I wish I had been part of a REAL 6 month supervised diet. I believe that with the coaching I have received from my surgeon who is not part of the company that is promoting the lapband program that I may have decided not to do the procedure.

This is a game that you are going to have to play. You can use this time to see if you really can beat being overweight and risk insurance not paying for it, or you can kill time and make the results show that you need the surgery.

Brian

Surgery scheduled for 11/14/2011

You have to mix the shakes with a blender, a magic bullet ( you can buy cheap version at Walmart for about 20) or you can buy one of those blender bottles with the wire ball in it to mix it well just by shaking it. Stirring them doesn't blend enough.

I hope your diet goes well. I know it is a pain but in the end it will be worth it to establish healthier eating habits now.

For mu 6 month supervised nutrition appointments, I met with the nutritionist at the surgeon's office. He also happened to be the surgical coordinator, so he would verify the things I needed to complete for insurance approval. I would bring in a log of what I ate, we would discuss the better choices and things that I needed to add more of to my diet. He would ask what I did to work out, and how often/how long. We also discussed the surgery, the long term diet afterwards, and questions I might have. It was a brief visit, usually about 15 minutes. I thought initially that the 6 months would take forever, but it has flown by. I don't think I really learned anything I didn't already know (I know I don't eat enough fruits, for example) but he did definitely prepare me for the lifestyle change. Being able to discuss my habits and patterns, and how they were going to need to be altered to be successful was very helpful. I'm glad I chose to use their nutritionist instead of my PCP for that reason alone.

thanks everyone one and good luck on ur journeys :D

Just finished mine last week. My GP had me seeing a nutritionist and she basically was working on me getting a good balance of food. Lowering the fat/fried, cut out sugar and processed foods. Replace all that with 'whole' foods. It was tough, because I am on the bubble of insurance requirements and if I lost over 15 lbs, no insurance pay!

It's over now though, and she did teach me a lot of stuff that I certainly plan to use post op.

Good luck!

hi everyone , i have to do the 6 month diet and i was wondering what kind of diet plan they put u on and i was wanting to try to start now just so i can get used to it.i have already cut out soda and i started replacing one meal with a Protein shake.i have a bmi of 46 and i dont want to get below 40 not sure to loose or not some say u need to lose some so they see your ready for the change and some say dont cause they think you dont need the surgery.i would love some help and one other thing i cant get my Protein powder to mix very well any tips for me would be great thanks.

I had to do 12 months.

When I started out I weighed 356, then down to 223 at time of Banding. I was still close to 100lbs. overweight, but now you must have a certain BMI at the time of Banding. (i guess it depends at the Ins. that you have.)

I would check with the person who takes care of the Ins., The Dr., and nutritionist, and the Ins. Company ! If it's true then take your time with the diet, and you only need to worry about the 2 weeks of liquid.

But find out first.

I did 1200 cal. a day

50G of Protein.

Shirley.

Wow 54 Shirley that's awesome...are you still planning to do surgery? It sounds like you totally have it under control! Great work!

Wow 54 Shirley that's awesome...are you still planning to do surgery? It sounds like you totally have it under control! Great work!

I was banded...

10/31/2006.