Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi eveyone,

My name is Kim and I'm 32years old. Unlike most of you I have not had lapband, I have not consulted a Dr. I have not even let anyone (except you all) know that I am even seriously considering getting it. I have been healthy quite a long time since about 14. I never really had a issue with it until the last 5 years. Right now I weight 340lbs (weighed myself this morning) . Fortunately I carry my weight well. When I tell people my weight they always say "Really"? U dont look like you weigh that much. BUT I DO! I have a 18month old little boy who is the love of my life. I am a single mom who works full time and goes to school and I have very little time to excercise. I am not lazy in the least I just dont have the time to excercise and I want to be fit for my son. I want to go to amusement parks and not be told Im too big to ride on a rollercoaster. I want to learn how to roller skate but Im too afraid if I fall because of my weight i would do serious damage. I owe it to him to be be a active mom. I am a emotional eater. Right after I had him his dad and I had a nasty break up..I was with him 8 years and its like immediately I was a single mom. I took this pic when he was 9 weeks old and I have gained 25 more lbs since then and I am tired. I need a support group to tell me their experiences with this surgery and weight loss in general. I am not doing this for a man, low self esteem, or anything like that. I am a 340lb diva lol..But I do want to be healthy and I think lapband would be great for me. I am at my wits end and Im tired of getting bigger...Anything u all can offer I would appreciate. How do i get started?? Will it hurt..How much time will I need off from work..Is it like having a c-section(I had one of those)...Whats the recoup time. Do you regret it? Do you love it?..Anything you can advise Id appreciate. I look forward to getting to know you all better. Thanks so much!!

KIm

Hi Kim- Like you, I have not been banded yet. I finally got the courage today to call and set up an Orientation time and a consultation appointment. I think you should maybe attend a seminar or Orientation too if you are on the fence like me. I know exactly how you feel. I was that single mom at one time. It sucks, but everything happens for a reason. Not only should you be doing this for your little one, but most importantly doing this for yourself. You want to make sure that you are there for every step of his life. You want to see him get married, having children etc. Doing this for YOU will in turn have the benefits for him:)

I am 32 also, and carry my weight well too;) I am 232 lbs. I am married with 2 kids, 13 and 3 years old. I was actually thinner during my childhood years and high school. I gained so much weight through both of my pregnancies. I have tried every diet there is out there. Never lost more than 10 lbs.

I also have a full time job, a part-time job, go to nursing school too and do not have time to exercise. I know people say I need to cut that down, but I will not. I want to give my kids the best things in life and will do whatever it takes to get them that. One best things in life is me being there for them. These past 13 years, I have been so consumed with doing for others, it's my turn!

So, I hope we can take this journey together if that is what you decide. First step- Go on the Lap Band sight and find a seminar to attend or make an appointment with a surgeon for an Orientation.

Tricia

Hi eveyone,

My name is Kim and I'm 32years old. Unlike most of you I have not had lapband, I have not consulted a Dr. I have not even let anyone (except you all) know that I am even seriously considering getting it. I have been healthy quite a long time since about 14. I never really had a issue with it until the last 5 years. Right now I weight 340lbs (weighed myself this morning) . Fortunately I carry my weight well. When I tell people my weight they always say "Really"? U dont look like you weigh that much. BUT I DO! I have a 18month old little boy who is the love of my life. I am a single mom who works full time and goes to school and I have very little time to excercise. I am not lazy in the least I just dont have the time to excercise and I want to be fit for my son. I want to go to amusement parks and not be told Im too big to ride on a rollercoaster. I want to learn how to roller skate but Im too afraid if I fall because of my weight i would do serious damage. I owe it to him to be be a active mom. I am a emotional eater. Right after I had him his dad and I had a nasty break up..I was with him 8 years and its like immediately I was a single mom. I took this pic when he was 9 weeks old and I have gained 25 more lbs since then and I am tired. I need a support group to tell me their experiences with this surgery and weight loss in general. I am not doing this for a man, low self esteem, or anything like that. I am a 340lb diva lol..But I do want to be healthy and I think lapband would be great for me. I am at my wits end and Im tired of getting bigger...Anything u all can offer I would appreciate. How do i get started?? Will it hurt..How much time will I need off from work..Is it like having a c-section(I had one of those)...Whats the recoup time. Do you regret it? Do you love it?..Anything you can advise Id appreciate. I look forward to getting to know you all better. Thanks so much!!

KIm

Hi Kim, I started looking into the lapband surgery earlier in the year & decided to go for it in October. I researched all the options....bypass, sleeve, etc. I decided on the band because it is not as invasive and "permanent" as the others. I just needed a tool, something to help me. If I lose weight, I will be motivated to keep losing; dieting and losing 5 pounds in 6 months is very discouraging!

I am being banded tomorrow! I am so exicted. I can't help you with all of your questions yet, but I can tell you, you should attend a consultation/seminar. What state do you live in? The consultation I went to motivated even more, so I went all in, full speed ahead doing whatever necessary to get it done. I will try to remember to get back on here in the next few days to update you on pain, recovery, etc.

This is a GREAT forum and a GREAT way to help you decide and motivate you. Everyone on here is very helpful and there are so many topics....so many you'd never even think to ask about! Look around on here and all your questions should be answered. Talk to you soon!

Hi Kim,

I also have yet to be banded. However, I am at the end of my workup and my informatoin has been submitted to insurance. Waiting for the decision is probably the hardest part of the workup!

First thing that I did when I decided on bariatric surgery was to make an appointment with my Primary Care. She sent a referral to a local bariatric office. Make sure you do some research on Center of Excellence surgeons near you. My insurance requires that my doctor be associated with a Bariatric Center of Excellence.

The same day the referral was made, i received a call from Dr. Loggins office to setup an initial appointment.

Through it all, it took about 5-6 months of prep work. Believe me.. this was very discouraging at the beginning.. knowing there was so much to do. Unless you are a self pay, there is no other way of getting around the workup.

I had to have a 3 month medically supervised diet. I met with the nutritionist once a month for 3 months. I had to keep logs of everything I put in my mouth.

I also had to have an upper GI to make sure my stomach lining is healthy enough for the surgery. (no ulcers)

I had a sleep study done that came back negative for sleep apnea.

Tons of lab work.

I had to meet with a therapist to make sure that I am mentally healthy for this surgery.

I had to get clearance from my cardiologist since I've had two heart ablations.

I had to have an ultrasound to check the arteries and veins in my legs for clots.

I had to have a stress test done on my heart..

I think that's it. HA.. I can't believe I've been through all that..

Also, you should find out what your insurance covers for obesity surgery. All insurance companies are different.

I am under a 40 BMI, so I have to show that I have comorbities. Most insurance companies also require that you prove that you have been over a 35 BMI with comorbities or over a 40 BMI for 2 consecutive years.

Good luck to you!

The journey may seem long.. but well worth it in the end.

Angela