Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mexico vs. Wishcenter

I am sure this is an old subject. I have decided to get the procedure and must pay cash. My employer dropped this benefit on my insurance. It is $10600. @ the WishCenter in San Antonio & about the same @ Dr. Rumbaut. I have narrowed it down to these 2 DRs. San Antonio is Dr. Rincon. All my fills will be done in FL. I have my arrangements. I cannot decide and am afraid of picking the wrong place. I hear great things about Dr. Rumbaut and a few good things about Dr. Rincon. Nothing bad about either. Anyone???:omg:

I checked into WishCenter. The staff there were NOT educated and didn't even know that there were different styles of bands!! EEEK! When I called again to inquire about fills months later, they could not answer basic questions that almost any veteran bandster can answer. Also, it took me forever for them to return calls or talk to a real life human being. I dealt with Phoenix and Chicago centers, not San Antonio though.

Dr. R in Monterrey was my second choice. I think he is a great surgical choice. I don't know anything about Dr. Rincon but the Wishcenter is the Dollar Store version of a surgical center for me.

both my wife and i had ours put in by Dr Rumbaut. and the only problem we had was not his fault BUT BUT BUT,

when he heard what had happend HE OUT OF HIS PERSONAL ACCOUNT PAID US WHAT IT COST US TO CORRECT THE PROBLEM. he then got refunded by inamed. the problem was a product issue.

I dont know about the wish center but i keep hearing they're not to bright.

Just had my band inserted on Tuesday with Dr. Rumbaut. Back home yesterday and getting used to my fluids. I cannot advise you more strongly to go with Rumbaut! The whole experience was very positive. He is definitely the "rock star" of the lap-band world and even the cab drivers in Monterrey know who he is! He's a little cocky of course (all good surgeons are) but that's because he's done about 3500 Lapbands and is THE pro. He's got a state of the art office and the hospital room was absolutely gorgoues (private room, hardwood floors, clean and pristine, marble bathroom, etc.) My mom came with me and was very nervous about the whole Mexico thing but after the first day, she was 100% convinced that Rumbaut was the right decision. Monterrey is a very rich city. Almost everyone we saw were businessmen (population is much more "Spanish-Mexican" than "Indian Mexican). BUt what I really loved the most is the personal care. Rumbaut has several younger doctors who work for him and they're constantly checking on you, coming by the hotel to personally deliver meds, etc. If it was the U.S., you'd have to go to THEM and not the other way around. My ONLY complaint was ONE nurse (out of many) who had very poor English skills. Everyone else spoke fluent english. I could not recommend Rumbaut anymore. I'm a Harvard educated lawyer from NYC and definitely did my research on him professionally. He is very compentent and I never once doubted that I was in good hands!

Good luck!

I was just banded (same group as XAnn) by RR's group. I was acquainted with him from high school days - and based on those hazy recollections, I expected him to be very good. He has probably as much or more experience with this procedure as anyone else in the western hemisphere; he is, and has been for years, active in training other surgeons in the procedure. I had a great experience, and think he did a good job, although, well, I was anesthetized, so I couldn't watch. He has a good team in place, and even has e-mail follow-up nutritional advice. Finally, he's a straightforward, approachable sort, with a very appealing bedside manner.

Although the hospital he uses is very modern and nice, Monterrey is still in Mexico - while it is in part a wealthy city, there is tremendous disparity, with many poor as well (just not in the part of the city we were in). I would advise going to Mexico with an open mind - not everything is done in quite the same way, and a little effort on the visitor's part goes a long way. Also, the museum is closed on mondays, and you probably won't feel like walking around too much the first day or two post-op.

In Reynosa, Mexico, there are these 2 doctors who do the lap-band surgery and refill. Their names are Dr. Felipe Cantu, and Dr. Henry Mansur, both are really good ones, they even offer discounts, and also psichological help,with Dr. Garcia which is the most important part of the treatment. If you live far away, they pay your air ticket, or if you decide to come over driving, he gives a big the discount. But still, he offers hotel stay. If you need more information you may call his toll free number: 1 888 520 0924

or visit his web www.advancedmedicine.com

In Reynosa, Mexico, there are these 2 doctors who do the lap-band surgery and refill. Their names are Dr. Felipe Cantu, and Dr. Henry Mansur, both are really good ones, they even offer discounts, and also psichological help,with Dr. Garcia which is the most important part of the treatment. If you live far away, they pay your air ticket, or if you decide to come over driving, he gives a big the discount. But still, he offers hotel stay. If you need more information you may call his toll free number: 1 888 520 0924

or visit his web www.advancedmedicine.com

As per guidelines set up when we all joined this forum, there is to be NO advertisement or solicitation of any specific Doctor, Clinic, hospital, center, etc.

Please refrain from the kinds of posts listed here on this thread from occurring again. This is a support forum not a place to increase patient population for a specific Doctor, Clinic, Hospital, Center, etc.

As per guidelines set up when we all joined this forum, there is to be NO advertisement or solicitation of any specific Doctor, Clinic, hospital, center, etc.

Please refrain from the kinds of posts listed here on this thread from occurring again. This is a support forum not a place to increase patient population for a specific Doctor, Clinic, Hospital, Center, etc.

I'm rather unhappy with this admonishment since I'm very interested in various doctors and the services they offer. I certainly prefer to hear from people who have had experience with these doctors, or who have found information that I haven't found. Is there a site where people can discuss the merits of various doctors without remonstrations?

As a new member to this site one reason I joined was to find out by "word of mouth" about specific doctors to help narrow my choice down by others experience. I understand people should not just get on here to advertise but someone asks for advise what does it hurt? Besides, reread what is listed under this subtitle "doctors and hospitals."

I think the funniest part of it all is that the website listed sends you to an erectial dysfunction and premature ejaculation site. LOL

For those of you upset by the rule against advertisement, please understand that there are ways of giving word of mouth without being an outright advertisment. I push my doctor, but also explain other choices and why I am choosing him. that post above was an outright advertisment.

I think the funniest part of it all is that the website listed sends you to an erectial dysfunction and premature ejaculation site. LOL

For those of you upset by the rule against advertisement, please understand that there are ways of giving word of mouth without being an outright advertisment. I push my doctor, but also explain other choices and why I am choosing him. that post above was an outright advertisment.

Well, I'm an idiot. I didn't check the website. I wonder how many bandsters have erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation. Not having a penis, I certainly don't. I have noted that there are a whole lot of spams about erectile dysfunction. This must be an epidemic in America. Apparently every man and woman in the country has erectile dysfunction. I think the medical community should investigate this immediately, don't you?

I was banded by Dr Kuri in Mexico.I guess that's all I can say without getting in trouble here.Please look him up in any search engine,you'll find out alot of great things about him (including a cheaper price than you mentioned) Opps sorry,said enough!

Lisa

2/20/06

255/222/120

I was banded by Dr Kuri in Mexico.I guess that's all I can say without getting in trouble here.Please look him up in any search engine,you'll find out alot of great things about him (including a cheaper price than you mentioned) Opps sorry,said enough!

Lisa

2/20/06

255/222/120

That's interesting because the site above is really about masculine problems, not the lapband. Maybe Dr. Kuri's web person messed up. Probably he does a lot of procedures including treating men for erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation, but those particular treatments don't interest me. They may have just messed it all up.:nervous

bitteroldhag,

What funnyduddies is saying is that if you try to copy and paste from THIS yahoo site it won't take you where you want to go,it will advertise for the erectile ....... It has nothing to do with the real site.Do a regular type in by hand search.Good luck!