Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you find certain foods make you cough at night?   

6 members have voted

1. 1. Do you find certain foods if eaten before bed make you cough through the night?

I have found in the last few weeks that after 8 months of being banded certain foods now make me cough throughout the night. Specifically if I eat them a couple of hours before going to bed. Mainly I have noticed this when I eat any sort of nut. I cough throughout the night like little pieces are caught along my throat and irritate me. Does anyone else get this? What foods have this effect on you if any?

I don't have night coughs but i do experience a lot of burping after eating certain foods.

I had this same cough for about 5 nites a few weeks ago. I read somewhere that it's a sign that your band is too tight. Mine went away tho. I noticed it also after eating nuts, the first nite, then 4 consecutive nites without eating nuts. I'd call your doc. Chances are if you haven't noticed this before, your band isn't too tight.

Good luck!

Marci

I'm only recently banded, but I've found that if I've had something with dairy food in it for dinner, I cough all night. Which hurts.

Night coughing is one of the signs you are too tight. If it is only one type of food that makes it happen, just avoid that food. If it happens with many types of food, go get a very tiny bit of fill taken out.

If you are not having any other issues with your band, you may not be too tight. Coughing at night is also a sign of acid reflux, which the nutrs could be causing. Avoid the nuts in the late afternoon/evening for a while and see if helps.

I am the queen of night coughs and relux! What it means for me is that I am too tight and need a small deflate. Also, prilosec might help settle the stomach acid down. In fact, I am heading in for a small deflate tomorrow, lol. When my allergies flair up the cough and reflux also occur, this happened in the spring and is now again happening with my fall allergies.

All I can say is that I am thankful my lap band surgeon is in the same town as me!

Joan