Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dear all, I have lost around 100 pound, and my port used to not hurt at all, but now I often feel it. Not a sharp pain, but there is something there. I am thinking that as the weight has been going, it has been getting closer to the top of the abdomen? I would hate it to start becoming a problem. Also, after months of not exercising, I am now swimming every day and joined the gym - maybe my port has moved during exercise?

For new bandsters, my only advice is to follow a diet. My hospital told me to leave weightwatchers and that the band would work on its own. I did not find that. I was on Atkins and then WW, and have lost loads, but as the band only gives restriction for some foods, and not runny foods or liquids or a large list of foods, I find that the band has helped me to an extent (by limiting intake of crisps, potatoes etc), but does not do the whole thing for me - and you need to follow a diet.

Also for me fruit can be among the most problematic food, because of its fibry nature. I often have to vomit after eating grapes or oranges too quickly...

It sounds like you're doing great! I recently started having more port pain and I was worried, so I mentioned it when I went in for my fill. The PA poked around for a while and told me that since I've lost abdominal fat, my port is still anchored in place BUT now it's really close to my ribs (the fat cushion in-between is smaller) so it's getting banged and pushed into. Perhaps the same is true for you, but I'd definitely keep a close eye on it!

I wouldn't say mine exactly hurts but I have noticed that as I get smaller it seems like I'm using the muscles around my port more which makes it sore from time to time. Does that make sense?

It sounds like you're doing great! I recently started having more port pain and I was worried, so I mentioned it when I went in for my fill. The PA poked around for a while and told me that since I've lost abdominal fat, my port is still anchored in place BUT now it's really close to my ribs (the fat cushion in-between is smaller) so it's getting banged and pushed into. Perhaps the same is true for you, but I'd definitely keep a close eye on it!

Thanks that makes sense. I was hoping once I reach my goal to aspirate the band and leave it in there, and keep my weight stable for the rest of my life via exercise. I could always refill it in the future if I started to regain weight. But if the band is going to get troublesome, I might leave it in till I reach goal weight and then get it removed - I don't like operations!

I wouldn't say mine exactly hurts but I have noticed that as I get smaller it seems like I'm using the muscles around my port more which makes it sore from time to time. Does that make sense?

yes, I think that is it.

Since I had the SILS procedure my port is located on my abdomen below my belly button. When I first had the surgery I couldn't feel it at all but now that I've lost quite a bit of weight it's more noticeable. I can't lean against counters because it hurts, and somehow when I'm laying down my cats know exactly where it is and step on it constantly. Ouch!

My doctor told me that it's possible for the port to move. I haven't been banded very long (a little over a month), and I have noticed that it hurts less now, but I can feel it more; time will tell if that sensation will change...

My doctor told me that it's possible for the port to move. I haven't been banded very long (a little over a month), and I have noticed that it hurts less now, but I can feel it more; time will tell if that sensation will change...

you seem to have done well in just a month - I found I didn't start losing weight until 6 months after banding - I needed many fills...

you seem to have done well in just a month - I found I didn't start losing weight until 6 months after banding - I needed many fills...

I think we're all different; I think that part of my success is that I've been working on losing for a really long time and had kind of gotten the process started already; plus I exercise like crazy because I love it. I have been told that a lot of it could be Water weight. I have A LOT to lose still, and had a lot to lose when I first started. I've been told that sometimes being in that situation makes it come off a little faster as well.

I was a little scared at first, but now I notice it slowing down some to what I consider to be a more healthy weight loss. It was like 2-3 pounds a day at first, and now I'm at 3-5 pounds a week, which is better for me. I lost 3 pounds last week for example...

But like I said, we're all different, and that's okay, I noticed that you've lost about 100 pounds, and that's amazing!! I'm inspired by that.