Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Howdy from Texas. I am in the beginning stages of pursuing my lap band surgery. I am collecting all of my medical info. and have an appointment with Dr Adam Naaman in Houston Texas. I am very nervous, and scared, and I have 3 friends who have had gastric bypass who are trying to talk me into not having the lap band. After all of my research, I have peace in my heart about the lap band being the best surgery for me. I would really like to hear from you veteran successful lap banders about your experience, and about your opinions regarding the difference between the 2 surgeries. I am finding that there is a definate ocean of controversy and difference in opinion about which surgery is the best. I weigh 258, and have struggled my whole life. I am also hoping to get pregnant at a later date, which is one of my many reasons for wanting the Lap Band.

Thanks to those who take the time to read and respond!

God Bless! Bullit

Hi Bullitt,

I can tell you about my perspective, which may or may not ring true for you. I'm not yet a "successful" lapbander, if by success you mean having lost huge amounts of weight. But I know I made the right choice and haven't looked back for one second.

I'm also someone who has been fat all of my life, and frankly, there are lots of times that I just don't want to think about it. The reason I've always failed at diets in the past is that I just can't consistently make managing my weight my first priority. But last year I came to the conclusion that I needed some serious help, because I'm getting older and the situation was only going to get worse. My two small children need a healthier mom. But I'm not fooling myself--it's impossible to change a lifetime of poor habits overnight. If I could, I wouldn't have gotten to this point.

The RNY is so utterly life-changing (if you survive the operation) AND the effects are unpredictable and in many cases, temporary. The idea of going under the knife to have my insides cut-and-pasted only to have the weight possibly come back five years later was just inconceivable.

I was equally uncomfortable with the idea of huge amounts of weight just dropping off of me like slabs of lard; I've seen post-ops who look like they have bags of rice stuffed under their clothes where their fat used to be. I much preferred the idea of a slower, measured loss that would give my body, my mind, my kids, and my life time to adjust. RNY would make my whole post-op life be just about that--being post-op, and I just feel like I have better things to do with my time and attention.

The band is ADJUSTABLE. Right there I knew I had the right tool. There's a million second chances in those hypodermic needles putting in and taking out various degrees of Fluid. The whole thing just makes more sense, particularly in light of possible future developments in medicine. Whatever my life might have in store I want to face it with my innards intact.

I've lost "only" about 30-35 lbs at this point, but I'm in a weight range I haven't seen in 10 years. If I never lose another ounce I will feel like it's been worth it. And my journey has only just begun.

Well, I don't know if I'm a "veteran" just yet, but I'm very happy with how things have been going with the band.

The RNY helps a lot of people, and for someone who is in serious danger of dying from obesity soon it is probably a good choice. But for most people, I think the RNY is a lot like trying to swat a fly with a sledgehammer. It's just too drastic and risky to be a first choice for WLS if you can afford to take some time losing the weight.

Here are some of the ways my quality of life seems to be better than I think it would have been with the RNY:

Since I don't have to worry about dumping, I can eat just about whatever I want - just in smaller quantities. The only foods I have totally sworn off eating are milkshakes and carbonated drinks, and I don't miss them.

I don't have the foul smelling gas or diarrhea that SOME bypass patients have (not everyone has that side effect, but you can't predict if you will be one of the lucky ones!).

I am losing the weight at a gradual pace, so I don't HAVE to tell anyone that I had surgery unless I want to.

I don't have to worry about becoming malnourished or developing osteoporosis, which can be problems for RNY patients.

I choose to take a multi-Vitamin semi-daily, but it isn't a matter of life or death like it would be with the RNY. In fact, I've started donating blood since my surgery and my Iron level has been great. :D

Since my intestines are intact, I don't have to worry about getting a bowel obstruction or kinked intestines, which are very dangerous problems that can strike RNY post-ops even years after the original surgery. :)

And, best of all, I know that I can get adjustments or even reverse the surgery if trouble arises. That's a great relief.

Good luck to both you and your friends in your chosen paths.

Thanks to Alexandra and Quaker girl for your insight and advice. It sure helps to hear from others who are post op and happy! Sounds like both of you have had success, and are at peace with your decision.

How long after your surgery were you able to return to work or regular activities?

Do you (honestly) have any trouble with vomiting....or severe indigestion? I have talked to 2 friends who stated this happens in the beginning while you are getting used to how your body tolerates different food. I have a HUGE aversion to vomiting... and have great fears about this happening. I "hope" this fear will motivate me to change my eating forever using the Lap as a tool to help me. Thanks ladies for your insight! I'm proud of you both for taking this step to change your lives forever!

Bullit

Bullit, I had surgery on Wednesday and returned to work on Monday. I have a desk job so there wasn't any heavy lifting involved, and I didn't have any trouble at all. The hardest thing for me was recovering from the anaesthesia; while others bounce right back the next day I wasn't totally clear-headed until Sunday morning.

Like you, I have a huge aversion to vomiting. I don't do it well at all, and I was a little worried about this before surgery. But I think this is just one more reason why I was a good candidate for the band--I will be more careful to avoid behaviors that might lead to it.

However, what you have heard referred to as a PB is not the same thing as vomiting. For me it's more an esophageal pain relieved by the reappearance of whatever was stuck. While sometimes this reappearance is accompanied by large amounts of saliva (this seems to depend on how long I was "stuck") it's never like traditional vomiting with stomach acid and so on. Don't get me wrong, it's not pleasant, but it's not "vomiting" either.

In any event, it's important to learn how to avoid these episodes because they're not good for us. I needed exactly this aversion therapy to learn to moderate my portions, since that was my particular demon.

I've never had any indigestion or reflux. Nothing about my digestive process has been changed, so there are no surprises on that score. I feel perfectly normal, I just can't eat as much as I used to. Perfect! :)

I also have an aversion to vomiting but PBing IS different. It is still not a pleasant experience - especially if you are not at home! This happened to me recently while at a dinner at church. I was able to excuse myself without making a scene, but it taught me a very important lesson - TAKE VERY SMALL BITES!!!!! As long as I remember to do this, and chew, chew, chew, I can eat almost anything - just smaller quantities than before. Getting the band was one of the best things I ever did. I no longer obsess about food, in fact, when I do what we are supposed to do - eat Protein first - I'm rarely hungry any more. What a difference!!!!

Bullit, check out my web log, www.xanga.com/scarletini

I just wrote up two posts about life with the band for me, and the reasons why I chose the lap-band over the bypass.

As far as vomiting goes, I haven't vomited since 1992. :) I've also been banded for almost a year and haven't PB'd. Things have gotten stuck, but they always seem to go down instead of coming back up. Of course, I'm sure PBing at one point is inevitable, but it doesn't sound nearly as bad as a full fledged vomit. Good luck to you!

Thanks, girls for your time and kindness in responding to my fears. Sounds like all of you have had positive experiences, and have learned how to make l.band work for you. I have my initial appointment in 2 weeks, and am getting excited and nervous. Hope my insurance does not give me any hassel. Take care, and keep getting healthy! Bullit in texas

Guest pattiliss

Bullit, did you get banded? I have had mine since Oct.2003 lost 30 lbs so far feeling great. Let me hear from you soon. If your insurance gives you a hassel I would like to hear, it took me over a year to get approved. My name is Deborah, I am Pattiliss friend.

hi bullit , i too have researched both the gbp and now the lapband and like you have concluded that the lap band would be the better choice for me in the long run ........... i didnt like all the stapling and re-attaching that the gbp did to the inside body , i was actually scheduled to have it the end of oct but backed out .............. until i met someone that had the lap band and was loving it , i researched more on it and decided it was the way to a new life....... i am going to be banded friday the 13th of feb ( and yes i love the date lol ) i am sooo excited but nervous , i am 33 not married and no kids , but i want to have kids someday and although ive read stories about some who have had children after the gbp and they were healthy , i just liked the idea of the lap band more , where all the Fluid can be taken out and you can pretty much eat normally during your pregnancy ..... my personal choice as ive said is the lap band ........ but whatever you chose im sure will be the best for you ......... good luck which ever way you go :confused: :(

sara

Guest Sherry

Hi Bullit,

I am also from Texas and just getting started on my Band journey. I am very excited. I just went to a bariatric WLS seminar and had my new patient appointment with Dr. Spivak in Houston. I am now having my pre-op testing done and waiting for insurance approval. Fortunately, I was told that my insurance company is very pro weight loss surgery. I hopefully don't have long now. I am ready for the band.

welcome,

sherry