Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HI, I HAVE READ SO MANY POSTS ABOUT PEOPLE STILL GETTING REALLY HUNGRY AFTER LAP BAND. IS THIS TRUE? I THOUGHT THE BAND WAS SUPPOSED TO HELP KEEP YOU FULL. DOES THE BAND REALLY HELP? I'M JUST GETTING NERVOUS, AND JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT. THANKS.

It is true for some and not for others. After surgery, you initially have swelling going on so most people aren't hungry but once the swelling goes down you could fall into one of two categories...1) those who feel immediate restriction simply by having the band in place (unfortunately these people are the minority) and 2) those who feel absolutely no restriction and feel as though they can eat just as much as they did before surgery. For many people it can take several fills before they start to feel restriction so until that happens you may feel that you are doing all of the work to lose weight with no help from your band. There is no way to predict what your experience will be so you need to be mentally prepared that you may be hungry until you reach proper restriction...at that point, your band will help you to be able to eat much smaller portions and be able to go 4 hours or so without being hungry.

That said, the band does really help...never before in my life have I been able to lose as much weight as I've lost. I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Exactly what Vicky said! laugh.gif

I take prevacid every day at the suggestion of my surgeon because I had reflux prior to surgery...

I was just banded 2 days ago. I'm on a liquid diet and they have me drinking 4oz every hour, starting from 8am to 10pm. I'm not hungry at all and don't feel like drinking every hour, but i'm following instructions. i'm waiting to see id this will change at all, but drinking Protein helps me stay full longer.

Hi Everyone,

I just was banded 4/30/2011 and in 6 days I lost 11 pounds, but now that I am allowed to eat scambled eggs or fish (oked to eat it starting 5/5/11), I have gained 2 pounds! WTF?!? I lost 28 pounds on my own in 3 months before the band and I am so careful in what I am eating now. My daily calories are between 830 to 1100 and I haven't had a fill yet. My meals are usually: 1/2 cup of egg beaters in the morning with a 1/4 cup of cottage cheese or just have a Protein shake, lots of Water, tea, 4 oz of salmon or tuna for lunch with either a 6 oz V8 juice and 4 oz applesauce and then either fish, scambled eggs or a Protein Shake for dinner. I write down all my foods and calories. I haven't lost any weight in 4 days. Should I go back to the all liquids? I excercise twice a week at the gym for an hour and I know I need to step that up, but that was what I was doing when I lost the 28 pounds on my own.

Good to read that 'burping' more than usual is a normal side affect. Thanks to all for your responses and best of luck to everyone in their weight loss!

Banded: Corona, CA Dr. Suh

4/30/11: 295

5/13/11: 287

Hi Everyone,

I just was banded 4/30/2011 and in 6 days I lost 11 pounds, but now that I am allowed to eat scambled eggs or fish (oked to eat it starting 5/5/11), I have gained 2 pounds! WTF?!? I lost 28 pounds on my own in 3 months before the band and I am so careful in what I am eating now. My daily calories are between 830 to 1100 and I haven't had a fill yet. My meals are usually: 1/2 cup of egg beaters in the morning with a 1/4 cup of cottage cheese or just have a Protein shake, lots of Water, tea, 4 oz of salmon or tuna for lunch with either a 6 oz V8 juice and 4 oz applesauce and then either fish, scambled eggs or a Protein Shake for dinner. I write down all my foods and calories. I haven't lost any weight in 4 days. Should I go back to the all liquids? I excercise twice a week at the gym for an hour and I know I need to step that up, but that was what I was doing when I lost the 28 pounds on my own.

Good to read that 'burping' more than usual is a normal side affect. Thanks to all for your responses and best of luck to everyone in their weight loss!

Banded: Corona, CA Dr. Suh

4/30/11: 295

5/13/11: 287

It is VERY common to gain a bit and/or stall when you transition from the liquid diet to mushies. We all have surgery in order to lose weight and I know it is hard to hear but you need to not be focused on your weight loss right now. This time is for healing not for losing weight. What you are eating looks great so just try to hang in there and not get too obsessed with what the scale is or is not doing...

The reason most people get hungry after being banded is because the swelling has gone down and more than likely you wont have that much restriction. It took me a while (almost 2 weeks) to feel hungry and by then I was almost on mushies so it worked out well. Good luck!!

It is true for some and not for others. After surgery, you initially have swelling going on so most people aren't hungry but once the swelling goes down you could fall into one of two categories...1) those who feel immediate restriction simply by having the band in place (unfortunately these people are the minority) and 2) those who feel absolutely no restriction and feel as though they can eat just as much as they did before surgery. For many people it can take several fills before they start to feel restriction so until that happens you may feel that you are doing all of the work to lose weight with no help from your band. There is no way to predict what your experience will be so you need to be mentally prepared that you may be hungry until you reach proper restriction...at that point, your band will help you to be able to eat much smaller portions and be able to go 4 hours or so without being hungry.

That said, the band does really help...never before in my life have I been able to lose as much weight as I've lost. I would do it again in a heartbeat!

I am on day 4 and I am starving! I re read my paper work amd maybe i am mistaken. I am going to add thick Soup tonight because I am going crazy with this head ache! Help

To the OP: ask your surgeon if they install any Fluid in the band during surgery. Mine did, I came out of surgery with 3cc's already in and had very little hunger until time for my first fill at about 6 to 7 weeks after surgery.

thanks for the info! this is exactly what i am feeling right now...i am 7 days pos-op and i feel like i am starving and only ate about an hour ago. what to do...what to do. i am sticking to my portions and haven't eaten anything that i'm not supposed to, but i am hungry. hopefully, at my first fill, this will change...thanks again!