Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The road is long.....

Hi, I am yet another recruit from across the pond.....this time England!!

I am 43 years old, and this time last year I was housebound, retired from work due to my failing health, weighing 383lbs and waiting to die. I am epileptic, have degenerative arthritis in both knees and hips, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands, and depression. I have a wonderful husband and the two best sons in the world who have loved me no matter what state of health or weight I have been in....to them I am me......I just want to be me!!

Like nearly all of us, I have tried many diets over the years, I must have lost over 700lbs in total, only to put back over 900lbs which is a scary thought. I have never blamed anyone but myself for the way I am....no one forced me to get like this....just unlucky I guess. The diets all worked...it was me that failed them.

Anyhow there I was on the scrap heap, waiting to die. Needing help to go to the toilet, get dressed and do practically everything. I had the use of my sons' PC during the day and had started to research WLS. The Lapband was new to me and looked really interesting so I went to my GP and put it to him.....he said I would need to be under a weight loss clinic at a hospital first but that there wasn't one in our area but he would get his secretary to look into it for me. A couple of months went by and I received a letter asking me to attend an appointment at the Obesity Clinic in Nottingham (about 40 miles away) on 30 April 2003 - it was like seeing light at the end of a very dark tunnel....even if I didn't know what to expect.

I went along and met a wonderful physician called Lee Kennedy and a dietician called Anna Reid. I weighed 363lbs and they put me on a 3 x slimfasts only a day + 5 pieces of fruit for 8 weeks to shift some weight quick. But I saw them again within that time....along with a surgeon called Ian Beckingham. He was wanting to introduce WLS to the QMC at Nottingham, but was awaiting funding and was hoping to get it for 2004, but thought he might be able to perform 3 ops by the end of the summer 2003. Needless to say the rest is history. For whatever reason, I was one of the chosen three and am eternally grateful because it has changed my life beyond recognition already.

I still have a long way to go on this wonderful journey, and there will be ups and downs along the way, but I have met some incredible people along the road and am so glad to be alive to tell you all my story.

Guest AuntGoddess

What a great story. I wish you the best.

Cathy

LapBand 8/1/03

Hi, welcome to the group. Congratulations on your great progress!

I didn't have as many comborbidities as you did, but I know that without the band it would have been just a matter of time before I headed down that path too. I'm glad that both of us are feeling better and more optimistic these days! :) I hope to hear more about how you're doing as the time goes by.

Hi Linds,

Welcome to the board.

What an inspirational post you have given us. I am scheduled for my surgery on Jan 19 and looking forward to becoming a loser. Isn't it wonderful finally finding some hope for losing this weight and gaining our health back!

Keep on posting and let us know how you're doing!

Sheila