Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Laser hair removal

I have PCOS and with it, the requisite beard and mustache. Ugh! I'm sick of shaving.

So... I went in for my first laser hair removal treatment a couple weeks ago. OMG it hurt like h*ll. And stank (burnt hair, yum) My chin was swollen and red for a couple days -- I iced it like crazy.

What was weird was that the hair was still there, and I was still shaving every morning, and then it wasn't anymore -- took a week or so after treatment before it was gone.

I've got at least 4 treatments left, and then maintenance after that.

Anyone done this and have tried-n-true suggestions besides icing that will help with the pain during the treatment? The girl who does it says that the numbing cream doesn't really help because it's put on the surface of the skin but the real pain is down in the follicle.

Will ibuprofen prior to lasering help? My leftover Vicodin from surgery? :knockedou Is the technician wrong and I should try rubbing in some cream with lidocaine? All of the above?:paranoid

The numbing cream DOES help, immensely. I couldn't have survived the pain (I had my face, underarms, and full legs and feet done) without it. I also had a severe allergic reaction, so I medicated with benadryl beforehand to bring the histamines down.

HTH!

I carry a product that many women buy several tubes that contains Benzocaine (the stuff dentists swab on before giving injections.) It's good for plucking eyebrows, teething, bug bites. You might not like the name, so you could rub it off with nail polish remover or Sharpie.

Or just go buy some Ambesol (mine has a higher concentration.) That's the stuff for toothaches, but it's got benzocaine in it, which will bring you great, great relief.

Lazer hair removal is on my list of things that I want. Lucky you! I'm sure the pain will be worth it.

Looking for Paula here...I'm pretty certain she had this done...OUCH! Screw the technician. Lidocaine the heck out of yourself!! I like the "all of the above" answer. :P

I'm also interested in having my chin done...I HATE the shaving...it makes me feel SO unfeminine. I'd like to know what it might cost, as I'll have to do some serious saving up...

Thanks!

Emily

There is a product called elamax you can get it at the pharmacy, usually behind the counter. It is around $12-$15 a box but it works wonders. I use it on my daughter before she has to get shots and she has even slept through them. I also used it on her ears before getting them pierced and she didn't even flinch. She was 2 1/2 at the time. If you can get emla cream it is really good too but harder to fine. There is also a product called hurricane that is the highest lidocane allowed by law without a prescription.

I talked to my doctor about a script for that new cream that prevents the hiar from growing back, he says it works but my insurance won't cover it. It is called vaniqa and here is a link to walgreens information about it: http://www.walgreens.com/library/finddrug/druginfo1.jsp?particularDrug=Vaniqa&id=17148 ~Mandy

I've had 5 treatments for my ... ah hem... little problem. Every time before I used the numbing cream and sat there for 30--45 minutes or longer, and it still hurt like hell. (and it does NOT smell like popcorn, smells like... BURNING HAIR)

This last time They told me that they no longer use the cream but used ice packs instead. I was more than a little paniced because I knew it was going to hurt like hell. Again, only worse because they didn't use the cream.

Well, instead they packed my face with ice packs. and after I decided that I couldn't feel my face anymore we proceeded to zap my face. You know what? It hardly hurt at all. Instead of being red for a couple of days, I was only red throughout the afternoon. And this time i didn't have the terrible acne breakout like I did with the numbing cream.

Bonus!

I really need to have this done too! I too have PCOS & the beard & mustache that is better than my husbands. LOL!! Will they do your chin & upper lip at the same time? I even have to shave my sideburns. PCOS sucks!!

I got some LMX cream for my 16 year old daughter since she is terrified of shots, and has to go for bloodwork every month. It totally numbed her arm area and she handled the booldwork just fine! You have to put it on about an hour in advance for it to really sink in deeply. You can get it without a prescription, but you have to ask the pharmacist for it since it is behind the counter. Good luck!

Cindy

pcos is poly cystic ovarian syndrome

I want to have my eyebrows done. Surely it can't hurt more than waxing. :confused:

I bought my mother laser removal for her chin, upper lip & eyebrows for part of her holiday presents - I'm letting her be the guinea pig. She hasn't gone yet.

For numbing, I would suggest EMLA cream. They use it for many things, including burn victims who have to have skin peeled off. They also use it for children who need IVs, especially ones who need it in sensitive places. Some tattooists also use it for tattooing some of the more painful areas. I think it's by rx only. A friend whose also a doctor gave me a tube to use for a piercing I was getting, and I didn't feel a thing until about 45 minutes after.

You apply it and cover the area with plastic (I used Saran Wrap) to keep it airtight. You let it sit - the longer it sits the deeper it numbs. When I used it I let it sit for about 3 hours, maybe a little longer. Mine was a regular cream in a tube, but they also make it pre-applied to adhesive discs so you don't have to worry about the airtight covering.

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention the saran wrap. What a pain! I used topicaine, found at www.topicaine.net. I bought the huge one and used it each time I went in. At least 1 hour with it on, with the saran wrap -- tough to do with knees and ankles.

Is there any correlation between weight and facial hair? I've noticed the heaver I am the more I have around my chin and cheeks (!), but it's also the older I am LOL! I'm also Italian, so that doesn't help.