Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I got my lapband in March 09. Since then I have only lost 48 lbs. I feel like I should be down much more since then. I am going on two years and still having a hard time with the band. As most of you know I lost most of my weight pre and post op. Lately I spit up almost everything I put in my mouth. So why am I not losing weight? How can you toss up most of your food and not lose weight? I question I am struggling with. I do not know if my band is too tight or if I am eating too much of something that has the tendency of getting stuck. I just do not know.

Is there any advice out there from anyone? What do I do. I am exhausted from spitting up all the time. Even when I drink liquids. Ok, maybe I should not say everything I put in comes up. Every now and then I can eat without losing it. I would say 90% of what I put in comes right back up.

Help me please!! Help me get over this.

Thanks

julie bugs

I got my lapband in March 09. Since then I have only lost 48 lbs. I feel like I should be down much more since then. I am going on two years and still having a hard time with the band. As most of you know I lost most of my weight pre and post op. Lately I spit up almost everything I put in my mouth. So why am I not losing weight? How can you toss up most of your food and not lose weight? I question I am struggling with. I do not know if my band is too tight or if I am eating too much of something that has the tendency of getting stuck. I just do not know.

Is there any advice out there from anyone? What do I do. I am exhausted from spitting up all the time. Even when I drink liquids. Ok, maybe I should not say everything I put in comes up. Every now and then I can eat without losing it. I would say 90% of what I put in comes right back up.

Help me please!! Help me get over this.

Thanks

julie bugs

Julie, sorry you're having such a problem. Have you been through this with your doctor? If you're having such recurring sde effects, then something is probably wrong - either with your band, or how you're using it.

If the issue is with the band, what steps does your doctor advise to take to correct them? A number of thoughts come to mind - slippage, too tight, band absorption. You should see your doctor and find out what's up.

If the band itself is okay, then the other side of the equation is how you're using it. Are you eating right, chewing thoroughly, minimal portion sizes, and so forth. If you go back to how things were right after surgery, and start over, maybe things will settle down again. Spend a few days on liquids again, and see if things don't calm down. Then work your way back up to eating solids like you used to.

If your concern is that you've *only* lost 48 pounds in two years, then I'd suggest you look at your diet. Weight loss is all about numbers, and balancing nutrition against calories. If your protein/carb balance is right, and your calories in vs. calories out levels are right, then weight loss *will* happen.

Good luck!

Dave

I think you are too tight. I would make an appointment with your doctor and get things figured out. He/she should be monitoring you anyway. How long has this been going on?

Julie, sorry you're having such a problem. Have you been through this with your doctor? If you're having such recurring sde effects, then something is probably wrong - either with your band, or how you're using it.

If the issue is with the band, what steps does your doctor advise to take to correct them? A number of thoughts come to mind - slippage, too tight, band absorption. You should see your doctor and find out what's up.

If the band itself is okay, then the other side of the equation is how you're using it. Are you eating right, chewing thoroughly, minimal portion sizes, and so forth. If you go back to how things were right after surgery, and start over, maybe things will settle down again. Spend a few days on liquids again, and see if things don't calm down. Then work your way back up to eating solids like you used to.

If your concern is that you've *only* lost 48 pounds in two years, then I'd suggest you look at your diet. Weight loss is all about numbers, and balancing nutrition against calories. If your protein/carb balance is right, and your calories in vs. calories out levels are right, then weight loss *will* happen.

Good luck!

Dave

I'm sorry that you're having problems. Could you be eating the wrong foods because they go down better? I had that problem - I was tired of solids getting stuck so I started eating softer, higher calorie foods (milkshakes, ice cream, pudding, etc) & I wondered why I wasn't losing faster. After I really faced the situation, I started eating better & I began losing again. I'm 5 years out, lost 85 pounds, need to lose about 20 more & I will! Good luck!! This band is a lifesaver!

Thank you for your response. I may have to write down everything I am putting in my mouth to figure out why the weight is not coming off. I am not as concerned about that as I am the spitting up of the solids. I have went back to liquids before when I was eating too much. The problem is that I also am spitting up liquids much of the time. This is why I am puzzled by the no weight loss lately. I will say that even though I have only lost 48 lbs I am in a much better postion than I was pre band life. My blood pressure was out of control and now i have not had a problem with it.

I actually just got in contact with my Dr. and they want me to come in right away and have some Fluid taken out. That scares me too. I do not want to gain. We will see.

Have a wonderful Holiday Season,

julie bugs

Thank you for your response. I may have to write down everything I am putting in my mouth to figure out why the weight is not coming off. I am not as concerned about that as I am the spitting up of the solids. I have went back to liquids before when I was eating too much. The problem is that I also am spitting up liquids much of the time. This is why I am puzzled by the no weight loss lately. I will say that even though I have only lost 48 lbs I am in a much better postion than I was pre band life. My blood pressure was out of control and now i have not had a problem with it.

I actually just got in contact with my Dr. and they want me to come in right away and have some Fluid taken out. That scares me too. I do not want to gain. We will see.

julie bugs

Julie, that's good news that you're seeing your doctor. As I said initially, if the problems are that severe and consistent, then you need to figure out what's wrong. The band is a mechanical device. If it stops working, then it needs to be fixed.

Good luck!

Dave

julie bugs

Julie, 48 lbs since March is not bad! The lapband (at least my opinion) is a learning experience. It's trial & error till you find the right balance. It's a good idea to have some saline removed if your having such problems. But, keep the faith & you will be very happy you did! Like I said before, this was the best decision I ever made.

Julie, 48 lbs since March is not bad! The lapband (at least my opinion) is a learning experience. It's trial & error till you find the right balance. It's a good idea to have some saline removed if your having such problems. But, keep the faith & you will be very happy you did! Like I said before, this was the best decision I ever made.

Glow, note that Julie was banded in March of 2009, not 2010. So it's been nearly two years for her, not just one.

Dave

Glow, note that Julie was banded in March of 2009, not 2010. So it's been nearly two years for her, not just one.

Dave

My mistake, Dave! But 48 lbs is still a good amount. Julie, I think you'll be surprised with the weight loss after you're adjusted properly. Keep the faith!!!!