Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

curious with kids

I have three daughters that will be looking at me to still cook for them when I do the pre-op diet. Part of my problem has always been tasting what I am cooking, and then when it is time to eat, not eating very much as i have filled up on tasting things. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem and how you dealt with this. How hard is it to still take care of your kids and keep up with the liquid diet and have energy?:biggrin: Any help would be great! Thanks

It was really hard to still cook for my family and be on the pre-op diet. I have two boys (1 & 4) and a husband that still needed to eat 3x a day.

One trick that I used was to down a great big bottle of Water prior to making meals. I also made some iced tea to sip while cooking. The great volume of Water helped me to not nibble while I was cooking. I did catch myself many times starting to put something into my mouth!

Good luck to you!

Yesterday was my first day on the liquid diet, and it was also the day I had promised my son to make his favorite dinner.

So here I was, starving and cranky, and cooking creamy, decadent homemade mac and cheese. The worst part is that the kids and hubby all said this was my very best batch yet!

I didn't taste it at all. I had my husband taste it for seasonings.

But it sucked. I had to go drink my Protein shake in my room, I couldn't face sitting at the table with them!

I hope that today I'll figure out how to space out my Proteins so I'm not so hungry tonight!

I go tomorrow to talk with the dietication and the pysch. I am going to ask them of any ideas and tips to get through doing this. I hope it gets easier for you!

I drank a lot of cafeine free diet coke on my pre op diet to keep me sane. I have three girls, too - but luckily for me during the week they get most of their meals at the sitters...so that saved me. But after the first few days I found I wasn't hungry anymore - so then it was easier to keep to it...that and my fear of having a fatty liver and the doc getting in there and having to back out and reschedule kept me on the straight and narrow! LOL

It's hard as now my girls comment on how "skinny" I am and that they want to be like me when they grow up...I try and focus on being "healthy" and not being "skinny" - as they are 20 mos, 6 and 8 yrs old and very impressionable. I am big boned and tall and I explain to them that when you are tall and muscular you will weigh more - they aren't ever going to be stick thin as they are built like me. (though I was a lot chunkier as a child as I was not as active) I don't want to send my kids the wrong message and have them worrying about their weight in grade school! (though the 6 yr old had a rotten girl call her fat on the playground...I am telling you kids are just horrid to one another!)

Anyway...you will make it through - keep your eyes on the prize!

Kim

Thanks Kim,

U r so right about what kids being mean to each other. I did find out today that when I do my pre-op diet it is not a all liquid diet. So that will help me with the beginning. The good part is I am hoping that if they at least see me eating something during the beginning then they won't think that I am "starving" myself.

Lucky, my girls are a little older, with the exception being my younger one. Like you I am big boned, only I am short. lol I have one daughter that is short, and another that is tall. The young one I am not sure about yet. I am hoping that they continue to stay small ( they get that from their dad)

I have my eye on the prize and am excited! :smile:

Just use will power. It's hard but we can do it. Have to learn restraint any how. Still in last phase if wk 2 post op liquid diet and cooked beef lo Keon for my son tonite. Smell drove me crazy and I wanted some so bad. Didn't taste it. Fam will tell u if needs more seasoning and some stuff I cook from memory anyway. When I wanna cheat I think of what I've gone thru to get here and it ain't worth it. Also ain't worth having band slip or port problems tasting food stuff too early.