Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

back to work too soon?

So... They want to schedule my surgery for Aug 13th.. :smile2: :smile:

However..... I go back to work for inservice/mtgs on Aug 16th!! I've always, always recovered quickly from surgery.... But am a bit concerned... That's fast!!.............. It is mostly sitting and listening those 1st couple of days though......

Input/thoughts??

had my surgery on July 15th was at work (I sit alot) on the 19th i worked from 7am - 2pm on monday and tuesday, 7-4 wed, thursday and friday. Hope that helps...but everyone is different

I had my surgery on the 20th and went to work on the 22nd of the same month but as it has already been mentioned we all recover differently and have different pain threshold as well. Good luck with the rest of your journey.

I think one week off is when the majority of patients can go back to work. I took an extra week off because I am a nurse,and do alot of lifting,standing&walking.

I could not have done it. What does your surgeon say?

Mine would not have approved, not that he or she can really stop you.

You are a teacher right? I think you should be ok going back for pre-planning. I think the main thing is not to be trying to drive if you are on heavy duty meds. So, you may have to white-knuckle it or take some liquid tylenol if you are in pain during your first few days back. Also, if you are an elementary teacher, especially pre-k-3rd you have some major setting up to do in your classroom. If so, maybe see if you can come in for a day or two before surgery to set up your classroom before hand. This is just my two cents. My surgery isn't until Tues. Aug.17th and we go back for pre-planning on Aug 2nd. How about that? I'll be absent during the second week that that the students are back! So much for setting up routines...lol.

Aww wow! Yep- so much for routines! What grade do you teach...? I teach PPCD-3, 4, & 5 year olds w/disabilities. So- YES.. Lots to decorate and set up! I can get into my room beginning on Aug 2nd. I plan to go soon as I can and take from the 2nd until surgery date (13th) getting all ready! So.. Yeah... Surgery on 13th.... 16-20th is basically planning/mtgs... So should be OK I think....

I hope to hear back from you. :)

Wow! We do have a lot in common :). I teach kids with Moderate Intellectual Disabilities (grades 3-5). My friend teaches Special Needs Pre-K next door to me, so I know that you work hard. That reminds me of something. Please be very careful not to lift your little ones after surgery. I don't know how you feel about this, but maybe consider letting your para know that you can't lift over ten pounds until you heal completely. Hopefully you work with some supportive folks! Heck, hopefully I will be working with someone supportive next year because we have our challenging moments in my room too...lol. Anyway, may I add you as a friend? Maybe we can support each other through this.

Arisa

Oh wow- very cool!! Where are you from...? Yes! I'd love to be buddies- be nice to go through this together!

I have 2 great para's... And I know they will be supportive. I am more bothered by wanting/needing to pick up and love on my own lil 2 year old at home! :) she's my love~

When do you begin your pre-op diet?

I have been getting these emails from this thread that I applied to...August 2010 Anyone? So, I was reading over those responses and recognized your username. How about I am being banded by True Results in Atlanta! Not only that but we have similar starting weights and heights (I'm 5'7 & 300 lbs). Good grief, what's next...lol?

Anyway, you asked where I am from. I've always lived in or near Atlanta. Right now I live in Mcdonough, Georgia. About the pre-op diet. Officially I am supposed to start on Aug.3rd. But, I'm pretty much doing it right now. I have to do 2 meals (meat & veggie) and two Protein shakes daily. I've been experimenting w/ Protein Shakes and just figured out how to make it taste good :-) I'm doing either vanilla or chocolate Protein powder mixed with a level teaspoon of sanka instant Decaf coffee. Good stuff! Are you starting your pre-op diet soon?

Also, I bought some baby spoons and sippy cups to kinda get the feel of what it's like to slow down a bit. Really the baby spoon is kinda interesting. It kinda makes me savor food more instead of shoveling it in! Anyway, it felt funny buying the "baby" stuff because my "baby girl" is thirteen and I only have one! Even though she has her "teen" moments, she is still "my love", as you say :-)

Arisa

Aw, wow! We DO have tons in common. So, so glad we met!

I really like True Results so far. I start my pre-op on Saturday! I am doing 2-3 shakes per day w/one meal... meat & green veg. My eating has sucked lately, so I am actually kind of looking forward to the diet! My surgeon really prefers EAS advantage EDGE shakes... So... That's what it is for me. I need to go stock up.

I am very anxious for the band too! So excited. :scared2: how do you feel...?

I'm glad that we met too :smile:. I had my pre-op appt today where I had a nutrition class, met with the surgeon and did pre-op registration and bloodwork at the hospital. So, that was the last office/hospital visit before the big day! I'm nervous, but excited. I'm gonna officially start the pre-op diet on Tuesday. I still feel like I need (want) to eat stuff like cheesecake, chicken pot pie, lots of stuff. But, since I was weighed today, I guess I need to be trying to make sure I lose a little weight before surgery day! No cheesecake for me! :cursing: I need to just move on towards my new life. So, they said do 2-3 Protein drinks and 2 meat and veg meals so maybe i can just splurge on filet mingnon and crab legs :drool:.

As for Protein, I have EAS vanilla but I'm not sure if it is Advantage Edge. My dr. doesn't really care as long as it's isolate whey and at least 20 g protein per serving. Also, this link has recipes for Protein shakes that sound really good. There isn't any calorie info though. And there are ingredients that we probably shouldn't have during the pre-op diet. It just sounds yummy! http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f9/absolutely-best-protein-shakes-117572/

Let me know how the diet is going once you start. We'll get through this phase as long as we keep our eyes on the prize!:wub:

Edited by tcherlady

Good for you! That's so awesome. I won't meet with my doc any more prior to surgery either. They said they will call me the week of... to check in, see how I am doing, and go over any last minute questions I may have. Sooo exciting!! I bought two "packs" of the EAS pre-made shakes yesterday. It's getting cloooosser!!

I'm impressed with you suppressing the urge to have a few "lasts"..... I'm not so much doing that. Eek~ that's probably why I feel SO ready to start the liquids... I'm eating too much! :-p

I do definitely have my eyes on the prize. My only real "worry/concern" right now is going to work only 3 days after! I hope all is OK. We can do this.

I'm actually getting a little worried about you going back to work too soon also. Let me tell you why. I originally was going to go back to work 6 days after surgery. I was just going to use sick days and get some documentation from my surgeon to back it up. Ok, so when I went to my principal with this request. She gave me paperwork to take to the surgeon's office (family medical leave stuff). The surgeon's office recommended TWO WEEKS OFF!!

I was very surprised. I got some clarification yesterday though. Two weeks is a good time period because 1. I have to be on a liquid diet right after surgery and I may not have enough energy to keep up with the kids while on a liquid diet. 2. Between 10-14 days post-op is when they schedule your post-op appt. It's "safer" to have the Dr. check out your incisions and make sure that everything is healing properly and that there are no complications, before you go to a job where you are up and down, bending, and stuff like that...using your core. So, I am gonna take the two weeks and after 7 days my short term disability insurance will kick in.

But, then again you have pre-planning. That buys you some time. When do your students start school? I know that special needs pre-k students are a handful, especially when they are adjusting to a new environment, at the beginning of school. At my school, the sped pre-k kids start a full week later than the other students. Is this the case at your school? I really think you should consider asking your surgeon his opinion. I want you to be ok.

Also, on a different note, my surgeon mentioned yesterday that he will do the single incision surgery if requested! So, I requested! He said that the single incision is through the belly button and is basically undetectable. Hallelujah! Sorry this is so long! Talk to you soon.

Arisa

Hi!

I hear ya. I've talked with several people who are post-op from the place I am having surgery.. and with the nurse practitioner, my band advocate, the nutritionist, and the surgeon... and all seem to think I will be OK. A cake walk? No.... but doable. I either do it on the 13th, or I postpone until Christmas break. No thanks! :( I am keeping positive... I've always recovered quickly from surgery........ but remaining honest with myself that I may have to call the Principal and say um... I can't come in............. and hope she doesn't hurt me. :thumbup: haha

I am stoked about tomorrow. I begin my liquid diet. I'm ready! That's awesome that you will do the single incision surgery! Wow... you'll have to let me know how that goes!

I get kiddo's on the 23rd. But, I do have 2 wonderful, wonderful assistants.... who I will prey on to help me with any lifting, etc. We'll be OK..... I have faith! :smile2:

My saving grace(s) at this point are: 1. Inservice for a week before getting kids....~ 2. As of now I have no NEW students. All my spec ed kiddo's were with me last year and are 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 yrs. old... most are potty trained.. and know the environment... we'll see!!!