Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm Eroded

Well it is official..I had an endo yesterday and my band has eroded. I eroded between July 17th when I had my last fill and Nov 21 yesterday when I had my endo. Having my band removed Monday Nov 28th.

Listen up my friends..I do not want sympathy. I have come to terms with this. I am at peace. I cried when I got home but after a good cry I realized how lucky I have been..I am so grateful for the 104 lbs I have lost with my band. I lost more then 60% of my weight with the band unlike the statistics claim . I used my head an did not rely on my band for all of it. I had only 1.5 cc's in my band I did alot of it on my own. My band did it's job, now it is time for me to walk the rest of this journey alone without my band but still with all of you. I met my original weight loss goal by losing 104 lbs so if I never lose another lb ..I'm happy. Dont get me wrong this will be tough and I'm scared to be without my band but my OCD will get me through ..I know I will channel my OCD into not gaining this weght back.

I will not gain this weight back!!!

A word of advice for those of you struggling..get your head out of your ass and use this tool the best you can. Get a grip on those mental demons.dont let head hunger get the best of you ..I am so fortunate to have had the success I had but other who are as far out post op as Iam may not have had such great success so I tell you from the bottom of my heart, lose as much weight as you can while you still have your band...dont mess around with this..Erosion can happen to any of you regardless if you follow the rules and are a perfect bandster at any time .I truly believe it is higher then 1-3%, just my opinion. To let you all know I had zero symptoms other then a gassy trummy which is from my gastritis. I have great restriction. I lost 10 lbs in October . As far as getting a new band in 5-6 months, I can not answer that at this time

Thanks to all of you for all of the support you have given me..I'm still going to be around here and help others the best I can and offer support to any of you who need it :)

Golly, what rotten luck.

You are right though, I simply cannot understand that if you use your head, use the band the right way and bloody well teach yourself some decent eating habits, why there is any need in the world for you to gain weight back. Keep up your exercise, keep up your new sensible habits and you should be right. Get right onto any small weight gains immediately.

For the record, I find it much easier to avoid gaining weight than I do losing it. I managed to get through my third pregnancy without gaining anything significant, and since I realised 10 or so years ago that I could easily gain 7kg on a 2 week holiday, I've never gained a gram on holidays since. It doesnt require quite the same deprivation as dieting does - for me I find it requires a big commitment to loads of exercise. Then I can afford a treat here or there and I dont gain.

You can do that too. You know you can. Surely with banding there's an element of it being a crutch, to allow you to work on your head issues without that exhausting expectation of failure. You've done the hard yards, now you can just keep going!

Good luck and I hope it goes well for you

I'm floored. I just do't know what to say, but you are right to put the word out to folks as you have. Lose as much as you can as quick as you can. Just tonight I said to myself...it's slow but I'll get there in my own time. But what if I erode? Your kick in my ass is right on time. I'm really sorry. Keep us posted on how everythng goes and you'd better be around here helping others! We need a "Former Bandsters" Forum now...it's official. SIGH.

Omigosh Michelle. Okay, I know you don't want sympathy... but may we at least say we're sorry to hear it? And YES it IS something to be remembered by us all.

You've been such an exemplary and helpful Bandster--and such an Inspirational Loser. Now I'm looking forward to you being an INSPIRATIONAL MAINTAINER. We all know it can be done and that YOU CAN do it!

So to be unbanded, do you have to go thru the whole surgery--stay all night and deal w/ the after gas, or is it a simpler proceedure?

aw jeez. This is hard for all of us to take. You are our inspiration.

What were your signs? I'm sure there is nothing you could have done differently that would have changed things. I know you don't want our sympathy, but I am truly sorry to hear this. For you and for all of us

Wow, Michelle. I'm so sorry to hear this! I will say you have an amazing attitude, and I'm inspired. But even if you are completely at ease I'm with Kare, it's rotten luck and you didn't deserve it.

Thanks for being here and promising to stick around. You mean a lot to us and I know we are ALL thinking of you. And I for one am PROUD to know you. :)

Wow, I am so sorry. Slips and now erosion. These are the risks that we all signed up for when we were banded. You were the model bandster that so many of us followed and took comfort in when times were tough. I am glad to see that you are moving forward and have the same attitude about your weight after the band that you had during your band.

I know that you will do well. You are such a strong person. Thanks for being there for all of us. It is now time for us to be there for you.

Like I said I had Zero symptoms...

I have great restriction & was still losing weight.

I was just going in for a check up from my bowel obstruction that was back in April..Dr. Ortiz wanted another endo in 6 months which was to be in October but I just could not get down there... I had a fill in July and nothing looked out of the ordinary then,the barium flowed perfectly through the band and if they suspect erosion the barium will flow over the band and not through it.. so he believes it happened between July after my last fill and now.

So to be unbanded, do you have to go thru the whole surgery--stay all night and deal w/ the after gas, or is it a simpler proceedure?

I have to be there for 48 hours. He told me it is just like the originaL surgery as far as the gas since they do it laproscopically, the reason for the 48 hours is to be on IV antibiotics,I will have surgery on Monday and come home Wednesday. iI will be on liquids for a week and mushy's for a week then onto solids.

This may sound strange but now that I know I'm eroded I want my band out ASAP, I do not want it to do any damage to my stomach or other organs.

While I realize you don't want our pity, I am really sorry to hear about this. Everyone's right though .. you've been the model bandster and helped so many of us. I'm sure that you'll be able to accomplish anything you put your mind to.

I realize you said you are unsure as to whether or not you'll be rebanded, but I was just wondering, at your current weight (which is awesome!!) would that be an option?

My prayers will be with you on November 28th.

Michelle, what a bummer!! I just know, though, that you are going to keep the weight off and then you will be an inspiration to others that have lost their bands.

Just as you have been an inspiration to the rest of us. HUGS!!

Michelle, I'm sorry to hear about the band, gosh that sucks !! But with an attitude like yours I just know your gonna succeed !!

Best wishes to you and congratulations on the 100+ that you have lost so far.

HUGS !!!

but I was just wondering, at your current weight (which is awesome!!) would that be an option?

I Mexico anything is possible..My Dr. told me that if in 6 motnhs I want another band , he will gladly do it for me..but if I maintain for those 6 months, why get another band. My goal is to maintain and possibly still lose a pound or two here and there. Now if I wanted my insurance to pay for it there is no way I would be approved..I have a 28.5 BMI which is in the normal range.

Hi, Michelle

Haven't been here in a long time. Your post is the first I have read in months.

I have been dealing with a lot of other issues. First let me say your post hit home with

me. I have to get my head out of my ass.. but, not with the band issues but other issues in my life.

You have done so awesome and you are right the band was and is a tool. You will do just fine without it. With your great attitude you will be just fine, I don't think anyone needs to worry bout you!!!

Stay as cool as you are!!

Im shocked!

First Jonathons news, now yours - and thats just today!

This may sound crazy, but is the doctor 100% certain your band is eroded? I cant imagine something this serious happening inside of our bodies and we do not have any symptoms. Thats mind boggling!

Im so sorry... (((hugs)))

OMG Im so sorry.You have learned how and what to eat.You can keep the weight off.

You can do this.Girl you lost over one hundred pounds you can do anything.