Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Galbladder Issues and question

Hello all. I had some blood work done about 2-3 weeks ago. I went to my dr after the results were in and my test numbers were not right for my gallbladder. (By the way I was banded on 12/9/09) My dr ordered an ultrasound on my gallbladder. Can anyone give me a heads up on why? It hasn't been that long since my surgery and I had no issues with my gallbladder before surgery? I am worried because I am not sure why this was ordered. :thumbup: Any help out there?

Thanks

December Bandster:redface:

Hi Pam... I can't say for sure what your doctor saw but it is quite common for women who are overweight to have gallbladder problems- especially with rapid weight loss. If you have had children that also increases your risk. THe one thing to keep in mind is that the labs that indicate gallbladder issues are non specific. That is why he is ordering the US - so he can see if there really is a problem. Are you having any pain in the right side that radiates to the back?

Monkeymama is right on target. The blood tests are nonspecific, and the most likely culprit for their abnormalities in a woman who's losing weight is the gall bladder.

It used to be common practice for surgeons to remove the gall bladder at the time of banding, for this very reason. However, increased infection rates have pretty much put an end to that practice.

Good luck!

I had my gall bladder removed several years ago after a lot of pain and a blocked bile duct - the pain was incredible at that point - only wish my doctor had detected the problem earlier. This is a good thing, your doctor is being proactive and fingers crossed will save you potential pain later. Gall stones are painful, the test and operation are a breeze :-)

Good luck.

When you go from a high fat diet to a low fat diet your gut needs less bile to help break down the fatty food - your gall bladder stores bile and so when it is being used less, you are more likely to develop gall stones - if these start moving around and potentially block ducts, that is when the pain occurs.

Thanks everyone. You have eased my mind and given me another reason to respect my doc! I feel much better now. You are all GREAT! :bored: