Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nervous about psych appt

I'm a little nervous tonight. Tomorrow I have a 2 hour appt with the psych for an evaluation and testing (MMPI).

I'm a little nervous about the psych eval and the test.

What is an MMPI test for? Has anyone else had to do this?

I guess I'm nervous because there is a whole cemetery of skeletons in this closet. Ones that are in the past and I intend to leave them there. I have moved on with my life and am at a healthy place and that is where I intend to stay. Mostly it's all stuff I can laugh about now, but for someone that hasn't been there, done that I am afraid I could look like a dream college psych project.

For starters, I have been married 5 times, yup 5, that's no typo. I am now married and have finally found what contentment feels like. I kissed a lot of frogs and have found my prince. I wouldn't change any of it (well maybe #3, he was a real brain fart LOL), everything I have been through has made me the confident, independent person that I am. I have been called abrasive and a bitch at times. It doesn't bother me, I don't sugar coat things, I am blunt and I will be brutally honest and I expect nothing less from those I choose as friends.

I have made choices in my life that I still don't know how I managed to live through. I would never expect anyone else to understand or comprehend my reasons, they are my decisions to live with, and I am ok with that and know I have done the right thing for me and my family. Whether someone else thinks the same or not is their problem. EXCEPT the shrink, he literally holds my life in his hands and he has never met me, doesn't know me and I am exposing myself in front of him to be judge and jury to decide if I can have this surgery.

I am really not looking forward to this!!!

What was your experience with the psych eval? Any words of encouragement before I lay myself on the guillotine?

amey

What they are assessing is if you are a good candidate for lap-band surgery. They want to see if you understand the life-style changes you will need to make, and that you don't have any "un-realalistic" expectations. They also want to see what kind of support system you have to help you in your journey. the final thing, is that they want to make sure that you don't have any untreated psycological conditions (ie depression, drug/alcohol addiction). They will ask you if you have ever been treated by a psychiatrist in the past, but mostly they want to see where you are right now. You sound like you have your life together at this point....so I wouldn't be too worried. Good luck!

Thank you for your support and encouragement. The appt went well, not nearly as bad as I thought.

Just waiting for the report to be done so it can all be submitted to Tricare.

It depends on the Dr you see for the eval. I did mine on April 9th 2010 and we talked first for about 1 hour them I took the "test". Some of the questions are funny but it is to see how consistant you are with your answers and also kinda to see if your wacked the hell out. Just behonest in your answers and you will be fine. The Dr I saw told me it is not for her to determine if I can have the surgery it is just to see mentally how I will deal with the life style change. When we were done she told me she saw no reason why I could not have the surgery. Good Luck!

You have nothing to be nervous about for the psych appt. As far as the other appointment I'm sorry I don't know what that is. The psych appt was very simple and easy they just ask basic questions. You will be fine.:thumbup: