Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sugar Question ??

OK, here's the deal. I don't have a huge sweet tooth, but was at a hockey game over the weekend, and i just HAD to have a Cotton Candy! I love the stuff. So, after a few fluffs, i felt really full! i mean, like i would if I ate chicken or something. And then, yesterday at work, a co worker gave me some Sweet tarts ( love the bunnies, ducks and chicks for easter ) i ate about 4 of those, and felt so full again! Gurgling, belching, tight.

The Sweettarts i could maybe see, but Cotton candy? ???

Anyone else go thru this???? :)

You may be a tad bit to tight I had that problem and they went in and took out a tiny bit.

Bad "food" choices, both of them.

Remember.....THAT is the kind of garbage that brought you to the point where you had to have a spigot/valve/noose/whatever-you-want-to-call it buried inside of you.

One of the problems with the band is that it does NOT prevent bad food choices. It restricts quantities and volume and textures and a few other things. But people can still make some very poor decisions about what the choose to send through the band.

Eating like this (even in small quantities) is one of the very BAD things that Banded people do. You may be eating less, but the stuff you described is still bad for you.

You said that you just "had" to have some cotton candy.< /p>

Did you really? I think you probably didn't. You WANTED it. but you didn't need it. And it is the little choices we make like that which will make all the difference in whether or a not ANY WLS patient is susccessful.

It's not always how MUCH you eat....WHAT you eat is very, very important as well.

S.

I didn't see where the OP asked if these were bad food choices. I am pretty sure she knows what kind of food choices they were without someone pointing it out. How we chose to use our band is our choice, nobody on this site needs the food police.

Bobbie, I have never heard of that! Maybe the sweetness triggered the full response? Maybe Betsy will know.

I didn't see where the OP asked if these were bad food choices. I am pretty sure she knows what kind of food choices they were without someone pointing it out. How we chose to use our band is our choice, nobody on this site needs the food police.

Bobbie, I have never heard of that! Maybe the sweetness triggered the full response? Maybe Betsy will know.

“I didn't see where the OP asked if these were bad food choices. “

Nor did I see where anyone asked for YOUR opinion on the content of MY post.

“I am pretty sure she knows what kind of food choices they were without someone pointing it out.”

Apparently not. Sweet tarts and Cotton candy after undergoing Weight Loss Surgery? C’mon…

How we chose to use our band is our choice”

And just who said it WASN’T?? There is not a Doctor or a Nutritionist on this planet that would tell you that those were GOOD choices. And if someone is making those choices repeatedly, then maybe no one TOLD them HOW to USE the band. You may not be aware of this, but there are plenty of people who have the lap band and other surgeries without getting more than a paragraph of instruction on how to use the thing. And then they come here and 6 months later they are whining about how they’ve only lost 4 pounds. SUPPORT does not always mean patting someone on the back and telling them everything is just fine…..Support also means pointing out potentially destructive behavior…..and to a WLS patient, I cannot think of too many things MORE potentially destructive than getting into the habit slamming back nearly PURE SUGAR whenever you want to.

“nobody on this site needs the food police.”

Oh, but we need the Post Police? And you’ve elected yourself into that position?....

Jeez…..

Yes, in your case I have elected myself the post police, I am tired of reading your berating posts with your better than thou attitude. Not just on this thread but on others. You are mean to people and I am tired of it. Lets have a vote...who else thinks Spartan was out of line in attacking Bobbie for 4 sweettarts and a little cotton candy?

L, OOOO, Pick ME ! <arms waving vigorously>

S,

I was just about to let you make me feel bad for my post, and my choices. Not that they were ever food choices to begin with. But I'm not. You don't know me. I havent had any Cotton candy in over 15 years, and it just seemed like a need at the time. It was my first hockey game so I wanted to indulge a bit. I only had 3 little puff ball size servings before feeling bloated ... And i only ate 4 Sweet Tarts - my one indulgance at Easter, since I don;t really like chocolate.< /span>

However, that wasn't the point of my post. I found it really strange that something lighter than air, or something that can get ground into powder would make me feel full. I was just asking if anyone else had this feeling. I wasn't looking for sympathy, guidance or approval. Or a kick ...

Leah - THANKS GIRLFRIEND !!!!! :-)

Yes, in your case I have elected myself the post police, I am tired of reading your berating posts with your better than thou attitude. Not just on this thread but on others. You are mean to people and I am tired of it. Lets have a vote...who else thinks Spartan was out of line in attacking Bobbie for 4 sweettarts and a little cotton candy?

You have got to be kidding me. You have to be absolutley kidding me.

Berating??? Where and when. Name it. I DARE you to point out ANYTHING I have said on this forum that was NOT correct. You might not like my delivery, but that's tough. Reality and FACING reality is a big part of solving the obesity problem.

You call what I had to say to her an ATTACK????

There many reasons why some people become fat. One of them is enablers. Like you.

You're too funny. You live on some other planet.

S.

Your not funny at all. Your out of line and you know it.

Spartan this is the only post of yours I've read and I can tell your a major douche!! Maybe you should re-read the OP's comment and then read yours. It in no way addressed what she was asking for. Whether something is true or not has absolutely nothing to do with whether it is berating. You were berating her.

Edited by TheCutestFatty

Wow ... Thank you, kind stranger :-) lol

Bobbie, all of us are different. I have the exact opposite reaction to sugar--it ignites the Craving Monster. In your shoes, I'd be careful about experimenting too much with this--I think it might wind up biting you in the butt. I can't think of a physiological response that would cause you to feel fuller after sugar than anything else--but the band makes fullness an ephemeral and quirky thing. Who knows?

Spartan, I have to admit I'm curious about your agenda on this forum. You don't really seem to be a bandster--or at least not one without some sort of professional agenda, as well. Your responses never include any sort of personal anecdote, just clinical information. What's the story?

I can identify several things you've posted that aren't "correct" (starting with the notion that surgeons, by virtue of their ability to place bands, should always have their nutritional advice followed), but since you are always very quick to post that there is no "right" (often making people who've posed questions or provided answers feel put-down, by the way), I'm not going to head down a semantic rabbit-hole with you.

On the other hand, I tend to agree with you about a good many things. Including that eating sugar's not a great choice, post-banding. I just think that it's possible to (a) keep my opinion to myself or, (:) deliver it with a modicum of tact.

Enabling? Nah. Just being a decent human being. With no agenda.

Sometimes sweet things go right through my band and I feel I could eat them forever and other times a tiny bit can stop me dead in my tracks. I just never know.

My philosophy is that there are no "bad" food choices. Seriously, if you saw someone without a weight problem eating a bite of cotton candy no one would think anything of it, but because we have eating disorders and little self control (at least I do!) we deem things "good" and "bad." I think that just sends us down a path of beating ourselves up, which then leads to a vicious circle of eating "bad" food again and gets us out of control.

I didn't get the band to never have anything sweet again. I got the band to LIVE. Yes part of that means being wiser about what I eat and treating myself less often (and in MUCH smaller quantities) but it doesn't mean that life has come to an end and I can never enjoy a bit of this or that ever again.

For those who are able to be very disciplined and restrict themselves to that extent - great! But different things work for different people and we all have to find out what our own good balance is. With that comes trial and error - we are human, we will make choices that are less healthy.... but I didn't have this surgery to live longer and be miserable.

Who says sweet things are bad and savoury good.

Who says we can't treat ourselves occassionally?

I don't remember being told before I was banded that I could never eat cake/chocolate/sweets or anything like that again.

No I don't think it was eating those foods that made me fat, it was eating more of these foods and other foods than was necessary.

Having a band is a lifestyle not a diet. You have to be able to live with it and make choices. Some will be good some will be not so good.

I much prefer the terms used by Dr Rick Kausman i.e. healthy foods and sometimes foods. The majority of our diet should be made up of healthy foods and we should eat sometimes foods sometimes!

my diet so far today.

Breakfast; oats cooked with Water and a splash of milk with added apricots and sultanas.

lunch. 1 vanilla/custard slice. Basically a layer of pastry, witha thick layer of custard then another thin layer of pastry with vanilla icing on top.

Shock/horror. I have a band and I ate that.Yes I did and I enjoyed every mouthful. It is school holidays and I decided to take me son for a treat.So does this make me a bad person, stupid or does it mean that I have failed my band ? I don't think so. It was a conscious choice that I made as part of a well balanced diet.

I don't think we need the food police and yes it is good to call people when they are out of line on a post. i'm with you Leigha.

Having said all that I find it very strange that the OP felt full after a few bites of those sometimes foods.I wish I was so lucky as for me those are the kind of foods that I can eat with no problems.

I too chose to go with the band because it allowed me "everything in moderation". They banded my stomach, not my brain, nor did it stem desire for foods considered "bad". And quite frankly, there is little positive to be said about Cotton Candy--besides the fact that it does taste good and it ALWAYS takes me back to childhood in an amusement park in Denver!!! Yes I have eaten it. It didn't kill me, it didn't cause any "dumping" situation, it likely did stop any weight loss I might have had for the day-and it did nothing for me nutritionally. What it DID do for me, was allow me to feel normal.

I personally chose banding, because Portion Control, and non stop eating were my issues, rather than poor food choices. I have grandchildren, and I want to be able to enjoy cake and ice cream with them on their birthdays....I just did not want to plan on eating the remainder of the cake when everyone left! The band has allowed me to do those things.

With the cotton candy, and sweets, my best guess (and that is all it is -- a guess) would be that it increased saliva production in a quick enough way, your body perhaps interpreted it as something stuck and produced even more saliva --- like a sliming episode, which would leave you feeling over full, and account for the gurgling and belching.

So....yeah you ate nutrient free food, and felt full. Bad part is you didn't get any nutrients from it.

The one food I seriously have problems eating, since being banded 4 years ago, is watermelon. I love it---but a few bites in, and I am sliming, and ready to PB. Does not matter how small the bites are---I guessed the reason to be the amount of Water, or liquid in it, floats the solids, and makes me feel too full.

In both cases, I am only guessing! It would be nice to know!! LOL

Good Luck with your band!