Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very depressed

I need some help, gang....I stopped taking Prozac after having been on it since 1991 (holy cow, that's 14 years). Anyhow, I was fine the first few weeks since the drug was still in my body, but now I don't know if I am missing the Prozac or just going through a tough time. All I want to do is cry (and I have done plenty of that), I am bitchy, I don't want to be around people, and I am eating more!!!

These are my classic symthoms...

I spoke to my PCP about going back on the Prozac, but he said I do risk dealing with the weight issue while on Prozac.....I can't take that chance. I know this is very personal, but is anyone taking an antidepressant that has not affected their weight?

Thanks for you help.....I really need it...

I am taking a new drug called Cymbalta, and I also take Trazadone at night before bed. So far, so good. The thing I liked most about them is that they didn't have that horrible lethargic/groggy period that the old anti-depressants had. In fact, I had a very seamless transition off of Nortriptyline/Pamelor onto the new drugs. I haven't noticed any real side effects except that my mood is on a much more even keel. The 'brain fog' I seemed to have gotten from the older drug has improved greatly. Of course, your mileage may vary. Good luck. I know it's tough getting the right combination.

Thanks for the quick response....have you noticed any change in your weight or appetite while on Cymbalta?

Ya know, I'd go right back on the Prozac. I also have taken Prozac for years for depression. I've done a few trials of tapering the dose (under supervision), and my symptoms come right back and continue. Life is too short to spend it depressed when you have other options.

As for the Prozac interfering with weight loss....well, I have lost 40 pounds in 16 weeks, so I'm comfortable with that.

Good luck!

K

Hey Margo,

I cannot say I know how you feel but there are alot of new Medications out there that can help you.. Hope it gets better for you:)

Try Wellbutrin -- that gives you lots of energy because it's not just an SSRI but also works on your dopamine levels. Less weight and sexual side effects.

That said, I wasn't able to stay on it as it didn't relieve my depression to a level I was comfortable at. (gave me energy but I still cried all the time)

I really think you should get back on the Prozac or one of the newer drugs. Your doc is nuts -- the banding will help enough with the weight loss; you can't go around with that level of depression and expect to make good food choices and exercise daily, let alone get out of the house and live.

Personally, I'm on Lexapro right now and it works great for me, as did Luvox.

In my psych consult, I was told that once I hit my goal weight and maintained for a good 6 months or so, then I might try weaning off the antidepressants to see if the depression was weight-related. Until then, I need to stay on them.

I don't see how being depressed is going to help you lose weight... I know whan I'm depressed I don't care about anything, let alone making good choices about my health!

I would say either go back on the prozac or find a different anti-depression. If you know it is going to interfere with quick loss, then you can deal with that because you know is is going on. I sure hope that made sense.

I'm back on trazadone in the evenings to help with my depression. Since I'm already a Turtle... At least with the medication I care what happens...

We are here for you

Oh Margo, I'm sorry to hear you had to go off of prozac. My sister is the same as you with the symptoms. HUGS!!!!

I have been on a few thru the years. Prozac, Wellbutrin are the ones I liked. Zoloft made me have really nasty thoughts, I would not recommend that to anyone.

There are so many on the market, is your doctor willing to give some others a try?

Everyone is different so the only thing I can say is try them.

Good luck lady !!! HUGS

I really have not, as opposed to Wellbutrin, which I gained 30lbs in 30 days on. :)

Thanks for the quick response....have you noticed any change in your weight or appetite while on Cymbalta?

So sorry to hear that you feel depressed. Try to reward yourself with an activity that you enjoy as a way to lift your spirits. Remember that all of us here hope you feel better.

Hi~

I have been taking a combination of Wellbutrin and Lexapro for a couple of years now and have been doing very well. Well enough so that I now feel I can tackle the weight issue and have the lap band surgery. I know trying to find the right combination can be tough...I took Prozac for 5 years and it just quit working (and I fell apart!). But I'd encourage you to look for a different PCP who might be more open to trying different medications. I agree that life it too short to spend it depressed and missing out on all the good things that you just can't seem to see when you're depressed. I hope you find someone who can work with you on this...there are so many options available now. Consider yourself hugged...

Emily

but is anyone taking an antidepressant that has not affected their weight?

I wish I could say YES to that question, but the antidepressant was the start of my weight gain.

I had lost 100 lbs when I was 29 yrs old and kept it off for 5 years, then I had tragedy hit my family in a big time way and I was prescribed Paxil, it worked great for what I was going through but I gained 75 lbs in a year, not changing what I had been doing in the last 5 yrs prior to taking it. My Dr. told me the anti depressants slow down your metabolic rate to almost zero..I have to say he was right! I stopped taking it, then looked into the band and here I am banded 18 months at my lowest weight in my adult life.

Margo, I went through the same symptoms once I weened myself off of the Paxil, I rode out the storm and once all of the meds were completely removed from my body , things got better. It's a tough transition but in the long run well worth it, alot of my depression was coming from my weight gain, losing weight has been fantastic for my depression..actually what depression? :) I'm no longer depressed, happier then I have been in years.Hang in there, give it some time. Did you gain weight with the prozac?

I would say anti depressants have caused alot of my weight issues, and may be one of the reasons I have been such a slow loser. But I feel alot better taking them than without them, I have been depressed most of my life. On the other hand I am now 21 pounds lighter and feeling alot better about myself.

I went from 170 to 312 while on Paxil. I quit it cold turkey the day my (ex)husband finally moved out and I would start drinking before I. Life i ever took another antidepressant.

Depression creeps up on me now and then but I've found the best way to keep it at bay is good ol' fashioned exercise--sometimes lots of it. If my mood doesn't start to lift by about 30 minutes into my walk--I go over to the track at the school and walk around it crying (I walk at night) until there are no sobs left.

I truly hope you start feeling better soon Margo. Life is just a bitch sometimes... we all know it and are here holding your hand.

I had been on just about everything they would work for a while then stop working. Then I started Wellbrutin about, gosh at least 10 yrs ago. When I run out and think I'm fine my girl friend oes and picks it up for me. I don't see myself ever going off of it at this point. I did however go through at least 10 dr's before I found the right one to help me. Don't stick to the same doc if your not getting better, be patient but deffinitly go for a phyc dr they know alot more than pcp.

Good luck feel better.