Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Realize Band and nausea

I have been banded for exactly a year and a few months ago I started having severe nausea and diarrhea. I had almost all of the Fluid removed from my band and I started taking strong Probiotics and that seemed to help but I still have the nausea. I feel like I have the flu all the time. Also, I cannot be in a car for more than 20 minutes without having motion sickness which I have never had in my life. I was wondering if anyone else has had these problems. I have had every test imagineable and there is nothing wrong with my gall bladder or anything else in my body. I may have to have it removed and I really don't want to do that... I've been to the ER and I've missed weeks of work and I need to know that someone out there has heard of this. I can't be the only one. :smile2:

I started having the same type of problems 21 months after being banded...have had colonoscopy, endoscopy, gallbladder ultrasound...haven't found anything. I'm thinking about having my lapband removed. Has anyone else had this problem?

I thought I was the only one! I guess no one else has this issue though. I found out that I have severe GERD and my esophagus is very damaged. I am being treated for it though and I still feel pretty bad. They know something else is wrong but can't find anything. I'm having a catscan on my abdomen tomorrow and then a breath test in a few weeks to test the bacteria that my stomach makes. I'll let you know what they say. If you do get it removed I'm curious to see if you feel better. Please stay in touch. This is ruining my life....

I too may have to have my band removed. I have had nausea, constant vomiting, and an inability to keep food down for 4 of the 5 months I've had this band. I am supposed to have a scope procedure on Dec. 1, but I may have to go to the ER today---not my idea of a happy Thanksgiving. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Hi - does anyone who has posted to this thread have any updates on their situation? I have been banded since 8/07 and over the last 6 months, I have had extreme GERD to the point where I have to take Nexium 20mg twice daily and have to sleep sitting upright or I wake up in the middle of the night choking on food/liquid that I had for dinner.

It seems to come in waves in terms of the intensity of it. The last few nights it has been pretty bad. I've been waking up with the night coughs again. This extreme hasn't happened in a few weeks so it is stressing me out that it is happening again.

I cannot really eat very much and if I eat things that are not carb based, I usually end up having to throw up. Also, mint, chocolate, Tomato, spicy stuff makes me throw up too. I hate having to live like this but it is managable I guess. I am just scared that it is only going to get worse. I've seen a gastrologist and he did an EGD back in Aug 09 and found nothing but inflamation. Last time I talked to him he suggested I start with trying to see if I'm allergic to a certain type of food - so I was going to have to go on some weird diet. I decided against that and have just been dealing since then.

Any update from anyone else?

Well I finally had my band taken out because after going to the GI Dr and having several tests done and everything coming back negative I thought the only thing it could be is my band. Well I did feel better after but still had some of the diarrhea but not as bad and eventually I have gotten back to normal. I just don't think my stomach was happy with something restrictive around it. I have kept my weight off and am still eating like I have the band and have also cut out flour, Pasta, rich desserts...I do still eat rice but lots of vegs and Protein. Feeling normal again and so happy about it. Unfortunately, still paying on my band....oh well.:mad:

Tex, did you consider revising to the sleeve?

I'm 2 1/2 years out and am having near constant nausea. I've had an endo, gallbladder ultrasound, HIDA Scan, so far...nothing. Doc says my band is fine, but I'm having my doubts.

I was wondering if anyone has dizziness,nauseau with there realize band? I was banded 7/09 and have had dizziness and nauseau 3wks out and still having it 1 yr later I've had my glabblader out ears checked ct scans pet scan and they can't find anything wrong if anyone can help me please do. Thank you newme09

Wow - this sounds like me. I was fine for the first 10 months with the band, but then I began to have problems with nausea and vomiting. I've had an upper GI and had most of the Fluid removed but am still having the symtoms. I love the band for helping me control my overeating, but this is not a normal way to live. I am curious if anyone has been able to "solve" the nausea problem.

A friend of mine had the same problems after Gastric Bypass. He had a prescription compounded for phenegran. You apply it to your wrist and this will treat the nausea without going through the stomach. They told him that he had inflammation.