Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need advice, pls

I had my surgery on 17 August 09... dealt with the liquid diet as best I could.. and like everyone before me, got through it.. moved to mushy.. and up the ladder until finally i was at "normal" food. I dropped 20 pound, in which i was tickled with.

I am home from being in NY with my famiily, and I have gained weight.. looks like 9 pounds. Prior to going to NY, I was on the treadmill at least doing 2 miles a day..

It feels like I am never full.. never sastisfied full.. but I have not given into bread, rice or pasta.. potato chips.. none of that.. the other factor into this equation is.. after three years with no menstrual cycle.. it has suddenly reappeared on its own.. so I am not sure if its Fluid gain.. bloat .. or what.. I am afraid I am eating the wrong things.. even though I always look to the Protein part of my meal before I eat anything else.. I know I am easily eating more then two ounces at a time.. am I supposed to be feeling restriction.. because I am not.. yet if I eat more then I should.. I feel it after the fact.. thats when I get on the treadmill and pound away for an hour..

So my question is.. do people who have their period experience some gain during their cycle? And.. post op? what are people eating when they are able to eat anything? I am not having a fill for awhile.. and am so concerned about gaining.. :blush:.. I cannot believe how much this gain has affected me and made me sad.. :blush:

Don't worry. What's happening to you is not unusual. The surgeon likely didn't fill your band, so you don't have much restriction. At first, you were swollen inside and that gave the effect of a fill. Now that you're healing and losing weight, you loosened up. I don't have periods anymore, but I'm guessing that suddenly getting one has given you lots of bloat. I wouldn't be surprised if you lost the weight when your period is over. I had surgery 7/31 and I won't get a fill until 9/10. I don't have a lot of restriction right now and I'm hoping to get it. You're in early stages and it'll get better.

Good luck! (And great job losing!) :blush:

Hi there,

I had my band put in the day after you, and I have had my period twice - I used to only get it once or twice a year.

As for hungry, I'm not suffering from hunger at all but I am undoubtedly eating a little more than I should be, just trying to make healthy choices and eat fresh, wholesome foods. I haven't gained weight, but my weight loss has definitely slowed down.

My surgeon put no fill in my band, this could be the case with you too - hang in there my friend, the period between banding and adjustment is not easy and most surgeons don't except to see a massive loss during this time.

Thank you! I feel better.. today I have decided to make some very health conscious choices and get back out there!

They are right... you probably have no restriction in your band.. i know i dont... I also know the scale can easily show five pounds weight gain around period time. Once it passes and its over.. the scale will go back down.. I just went through it. Right now i am hungry like i was prior to surgery.. I feel like i am on a diet and strictly on will power. i have no restriction in my band...and honestly i cant wait to get some :mad:

I need it... and im so ready for it!! I am very hungry.. s ucks.. because i feel like i can eat any amt of food.. and i really thought i wouldnt feel this hungry.. im hoping i wont feel it.. after the fill i am praying so

Just a reminder ladies to use birth control if you do not want to get pregnant right now!!

Often the initial weight loss will jumpstart the hormones and if you have had no period (PCOS) and not ovulating previously you may be now.. especially if you started your period!! The start of your period will allow the hormone FSH to start growing follicles and could make you ovulate in the next two weeks after the start of that period. Be careful! :mad:

yeah thats the last thing i need.. no WAY not at 40!!!

San Diego Kate knows of what she speaks!!

I also have PCOS, and although I've had some hormone shifting all on its own this year, prior to getting the band and losing weight, I can tell you that 2 weeks after I got my band, I knew which days I was ovulating..... and not only that, I felt the egg pop on my right ovary! I counted out the days, and said to my hubby "I'll get my period somewhere between Wednesday and Friday"..... Thursday night, there she was!

I have never, ever, EVER had regular periods, and starting this past January, I've gotten each and every period. Once I starting losing weight with the band (3 weeks prior, and now 6 weeks post) my period is CLOCKWORK.

I am turning 42 tomorrow, and have 9-1/2 year old triplet boys. There is NO FREAKING WAY I have having more kids.

I can't believe I have to buy CONDOMS. I feel like a teenager!

Ruffcat, you need a fill. I have not had one yet. I am terrified of needles!!! I know..why did you get the band? Go figure? You'll be fine. My weight loss has been slow, but I am happy. I don't want to loos too much too fast and look like a crack head.

I have been having hot flashes. My cramps are worse as well as a heavier flow. Weightloss surgery makes you fertile or send to into this men-on-pause state! Dr. Doc would not allow a another surgeon to do the tubal at the time the band was inserted. I am on the pill, I'll try later for the tubal later. PS. I am down to 194!

I know a lot about fertility due to my goal to have a child. I am single... 45... have done a lot of research on what happens when in a cycle.

I have always had clockwork periods, my worst problem is finding a man!! I like to say I am sperm deficient! :unsure: I would rather use donor sperm with an origin rather than having my child's story read "I walked into a bar one night... ".. :sad:

At 42 I did IUI's, and one IVF using my own eggs and donor sperm. However now at 45 (46 when I do it) I am going to look toward donor egg due to my age and donor sperm. The statistics for success are FAR greater. Several of my friends have done the alternative route (whether it be adoption, single parent by choice) and are all very happy. Sometimes you just have to take matters into your own hands! :) I am so lucky there are options! If I find a man later... that will be great! But no longer will I be looking for a baby-daddy at the get-go!

Anyway.. that is one of my reasons for losing weight, to have a good pregnancy!

Kate,

I met my DH about 2 weeks before I attended a Single Mothers by Choice seminar. I think that when you're happy with yourself and moving forward with your own life, you are much more attractive to the opposite sex. I love my husband to death, but I never could have imagined the depth of love that I feel for my daughters. I wish that for you also.

I know a lot about fertility due to my goal to have a child. I am single... 45... have done a lot of research on what happens when in a cycle.

I have always had clockwork periods, my worst problem is finding a man!! I like to say I am sperm deficient! :unsure: I would rather use donor sperm with an origin rather than having my child's story read "I walked into a bar one night... ".. :sad:

At 42 I did IUI's, and one IVF using my own eggs and donor sperm. However now at 45 (46 when I do it) I am going to look toward donor egg due to my age and donor sperm. The statistics for success are FAR greater. Several of my friends have done the alternative route (whether it be adoption, single parent by choice) and are all very happy. Sometimes you just have to take matters into your own hands! :) I am so lucky there are options! If I find a man later... that will be great! But no longer will I be looking for a baby-daddy at the get-go!

Anyway.. that is one of my reasons for losing weight, to have a good pregnancy!

I really hope all your efforts to lose weight pays off and you acheive your dream of a baby! you have one of the best reasons on this site for undergoing WLS and I pray everything will work out for you. I have 4 daughters and a gorgeous wee Grandson who is 4 years old and when life gets tough, I look around and say 'at least I got something right!' my girls are a great comfort to me and they keep me young.:unsure:

Eileen

Thanks for the support!!:w00t:

I was in a relationship for 5 years with a man who first said he wanted children and then changed his mind. I stayed longer than I should have. I think I thought I could change his mind, yeah right! :thumbup:

At 45 it is hard to find a guy who is single and would want to do it all over again. Many men are divorced with kids and ready to move on with their life. Which is fine... I am seeing someone now but not sure where it is going yet. We'll see....

I need a younger man.. that is what I need!!!:smile: -that is a drool, not throw up! :tt1: I guess that means I am a Cougar! haha :cool:

I need a younger man too but i'm afraid my 'ole boy' is gonna have to do! I wouldn't know what to do with a younger man now !:thumbup: