Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How fast do you walk?

:( I have really just gotten back into exercising and I have a really nice treadmill here at home. What I want to know is how fast is a normal pace? I am pretty big and I also have had heart problems in the past, but I would like to know what the average pace people walk at. I can only do 2 miles an hour and I usually can only go for 20 minutes.

I'd appreciate anyone elses experience with this. I often watch fitness shows and read fitness magazines and it looks like a leisurely pace is suppose to be 3.5 miles per hour? Anyone know?

Thanks for your help.

Cindy

Cindy, if I haven't been walking for awhile, I start out about 2 miles per hour. That's where I started out after surgery in May. And over a months time increased it to 3mph. Then I kind of stalled for 2 months and just walked 2-3 times a week 20-40 minutes outside at about that pace.

Now I am at 3mph for 60 minutes and I can read a book on the treadmill. Of course, if you have any hard cover books, please send them. Most books last me 2 days. I know a time will come when I have to vary my workout but I'm going to do this for another month. One goal at a time.

Find something that works for you. Use if for a month or two, then find something else. The variety is good for your body and will relieve boredom. Celeste

Cindy, that MPH scale varies from person to person also depending on how long their legs are. 2 MPH for a person with short legs might be just as much of an effective aerobic workout as 4 MPH for someone who is 5'10" with long legs (me, for instance).

My treadmill speed is now between 3.7 and 4.0 for a fast walk. When I started I was doing 3.0. So it will get easier as you do it more, don't worry!

Thanks to both of you, you've been very helpful. I don't feel badly about doing the 2 mph for 20 min as I am just beginning. I am patient and know that I can slowly move up in speed and time.

Cindy

I find I can only walk up to about 6km an hour and I cant maintain 6 for long, I tire quickly - about 5.5 is comfortable (but plenty aerobic) for me. A km is 5/8 of a mile so that'd be around the 3.5 miles per hour mark. However if I crank it up to 4.5 miles an hour I can keep up at this really slow, inelegant shuffling jog for half an hour or so, I just cant make my legs "walk" any faster than 3.5 although my heart and lungs can cope with more.

When I walk outside, my usual route is about 5 miles which takes me a shade over an hour.

I don't know what I started at, but I can easily walk 4 miles in an hour now (on the road). I remember when I had my elliptical trainer set at 0 incline and 0 resistence and could barely go 5 minutes. NOW I have everything set to the max and run on that thing for 25-30 minutes--while pumping my arms--and am barely tired.

If you have a treadmill or any kind of equipment at home I'll tell you a little trick I used the first winter I got my elliptical. I kept off the heat during the day and EVERYTIME I got cold I'd go jump on the trainer for 5 minutes and get warm. Depending upon how cold the day was I'd be on and off that thing once or twice an hour all day long. Not only a calorie burn but ENERGY SAVINGS! My gas bill was really low that year. (Good thing, because that elliptical cost a fortune!)

Kare,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have one problem, I live in Miami. It never gets cold here, unless you turn the air conditioner down :-] But thanks for the info about building up on your eliptical. I have to keep reminding myself that I have just started and need to take it slow.

Thanks everyone for all of your help. I at least feel like what I am doing is worthwhile and that in time I will be up to a 'normal' pace.

Cindy