Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Fill Experiences

Hey everyone! Just checking in to see how everyone is doing. I had my first fill Monday and wondered how everyone else's went, and have you noticed a difference?

Mine wasn't bad at all. This morning I ate 1/2 cup of greek yogurt mixed with 1 tbsp PB and was full for 5 hours!

I have had my first fill a couple weeks ago and I didn't notice much of a difference. I am still losing but it is getting tough to not over indulge. I have another fill coming up and I hope I start to feel restriction.

i had my first fill on wed. 4.4cc now in band. i stay full for abt 3 hours so i know i will need more but i was hoping that amount would be enough.

very little pain but i was dizzy on the first day. im guessing i didnt get enough food since i was on liquids the first 24 hours.

my first fill in in slightly less than 2 weeks...August 27th...i am actually excited for it (i'm not a big needle fan) because even as we speak, my stomach is growling!

How was the ACTUAL fill experience? Lots of people said no biggie since you get the lidocane shot before...

Had my first fill on 08-04. I initially got worried because I hardly felt any restriction. Now, I am feeling restriction but I have off days when it seems as though I could eat anything. I don't mind you, but I sure feel like it. I made another appointment on 08-25 just to be sure what I am feeling is right. I have 4.6cc's.

my first fill in in slightly less than 2 weeks...August 27th...i am actually excited for it (i'm not a big needle fan) because even as we speak, my stomach is growling!

How was the ACTUAL fill experience? Lots of people said no biggie since you get the lidocane shot before...

I didn't get a lidocaine shot before hand...I got the spray. I made the mistake of looking at the needle before it went in, and even though I'm not afraid of needles or anything, I wouldn't recommend it! The NP fill my band with 8cc and that was a weird sensation to feel it tighten like that around my stomach. She then had me swallow some barium contrast and we watch the drink go through my esophagus and just sit in my pouch. She then slowly pulled out a few cc's at a time until the liquid flowed through the band just how she wanted it. That ended up being at 4cc (I had none placed during surgery). The needle itself didn't hurt, just felt pressure. Once she put the needle in she did have to move it around 2 times before she actually hit the port. Otherwise it wasn't as bad as I expected at all.

i didn't get a shot or spray but it still was not painful. i am going to ask for the barium swallow next time though.

the first two days i felt no restriction but i am now. i tried eating a chili dog (no bun) and didn't eat the whole weenie. im glad i could not finish it.

someone on here had her first fill the other day and posted all the pics...so i've seen the needle...just don't want to see in next to me is all...lol

I'm excited for it at this point....i was nervous a month ago but i'm READY for food restriction...

Glad to hear it's not bad!

I have an 11cc band..and on Wed i get my first fill. My doctor says he typically fills about 5cc. I am anxious for this because i feel i can eat more than i should...I truly hope i feel some type of restriction after that fill. I would think i would feel something! I'll let ya'll know!

I too got no spray or lidocane . he had to stick me 3 times to find the port not fun at all. He filled me to 4cc and i do not feel much restriction . i am able to eat 1/2 of chicken breast over a 1 hr period before feeling full . i am bad about drinking little sips of Water when I eat whichh doesnt help. Hopefully next fill will help more.

Are yall eating only soft foods for a few days after fills?

after my fill i did liquids for 24 hours then mushies for 24 hours. i don't think i will do that next fill. i'll do mushies for 48 hours. i felt dizzy on the day i did liquids.

I just had my first fill today! No numbing assistance, she just had me do an ab crunch and hold it while she poked twice and bullseye! No pain at all, really...just discomfort/needle-anxiety. I am 8 weeks post-op. I got 4cc's into my empty band and she just had me drink some Water and hang out to make sure I didn't get nausea. Feeling good but she advised liquids for 3 days just to be "Very Careful" with it...and then mushies. Don't know if I'll wait 3 days, but will be careful. Instant mashed potatoes are my fav! :-)

Really though...it was so much easier than I thought. This forum can sometimes cloud your brain and heighten your anxiety with stories of worst-case-scenarios. Just take it all in perspective... And good luck! I hope yours is delightfully no-big-deal the way mine was.

Glad to hear everyone's fill wasn't too bad and hopefully you guys get some restriction!

My doc makes us do the rest of the fill day with liquids, the next day puree, the day after that softs then regular diet. So if I have a fill on Monday, I'm not supposed to eat regular diet until Thursday. I kinda smooshed puree and soft together.

I had my first fill yesterday and it was under fluro, protocol for my surgeon. Very cool to see the port and band on the machine....tech said my port was tilted a little but 'no biggie.' :sad: Anyways, since she uses a thicker gauge needle than the office will use going forward, so she gave me a shot to numb me - which hurt like a mo'fo' but when she injected me with the needle for the fill, all i felt was pressure (kinda like if you are pushing a sewing needle through a thick piece of material). She made several adjustments, and had me swallow some barium after each. She wanted to show me what alot of restriction felt like, so filled me to 7cc's and had me take a drink and it hung up in my throat a bit...like i had to swallow a few times to get it down. Then she took me back to 6.5cc's where all went through OK. Then I was done. My instructions are full liquids for 2 days, then pureed for 2 days, then back to reg foods. I'm a little anxious about reg foods, because I am afraid of the dreaded PB or sliming....but I respond well to fear and I think that will be reinforcement enough to eat small bites, chew, etc. :biggrin: