Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Healing time and complications

Hello friends,

i came across this web site today in desperation of dealing with complications from my lap band surgery. I was banded on July 20, almost three weeks ago.

I am having a terrible time with pain and nausea and i'm so discouraged. I've been to the ER twice now, once by ambulance, with uncontrollable dry heaving. (attempt to vomit but nothing comes up) Also my acid reflux is to the point where is coming up my throat and through my eustation tube into my left ear. I AM DIEING WITH THIS PAIN!!

I have prescriptions for all of this nonsense, but what kills me is that of all the people i know who've had the band i just can't understand why i'm the only one with all the problems....

this has been a very discouraging ordeal for me. I have lost 32lbs as of today (296 to 264) and feel no excitement or glory about it. This is not worth it. My mother and sister both have bands and have done wonderful as well as two other friends of mine. All of us went to the same surgeon.

My life has been totally disrupted and i am losing money for not being able to work with chronic nausea, or vomiting, or something.

So at this point i will ask those who read this post:

- How long did it take you to return to normal and live life as you did before the band?

- has anyone else experienced an impossible first month only to heal well and regain control of their life?

Have you called your surgeon? If not, you need to and explain how you feel. Having Fluid coming out of your ear is not normal and dangerous. What are you eating at this point? Did you have any fill during surgery? Everyone heals at different rates. You can't compare yourself to your relatives or friends. I remember I felt lousy for a week and not myself until after 2 weeks. The port pain lasted longer. Your stomach is still swollen and your body healing.

But definitely call your doctor. And by the way, was your doctor called when you went to the ER? And if so, what did he say, if not what did they say?

And make sure your are not getting dehydrated. All the more reason to call your doctor.

I agree. Your banding surgeon needs to step in and help you out. Pronto.

I agree, talk to your surgeon!

If you had the Lapband AP it comes prefilled. I have met several people on here who have had the same types of complications, once they've had the Fluid removed they are feeling much better.

Call your surgeon ASAP!

I have a lapband AP (mine is the L) and my doc said it only had a little "primer" in it...which makes sense, otherwise the first fill would just fill the tubing from the port to the band. So I don't think most are "prefilled"....or if so, not enough to count. However, surgeons can (and sadly do) put more in during surgery...and for some people that is just too much for them to handle while healing.

I was told the same as restless, that my band had primer in it. It is definitely not the same as being prefilled. After reading posts on here from people that have had Fluid in their bands at sugery and the problems they've had i'm glad mine wasn't prefilled.

I have the LapBand AP and the primer was there but was definitely not pre-filled. Call your surgeon as everyone says. This is not normal as far as I can tell. I did have stomach flu right out of the hospital after my band surgery and I thought I was going to die. It lasted about 4 days. Check with your surgeon.

hi my name is Jan and i had the same problem as you ,severe vomitting and extreme dry reaching unable to work or function at all went to emergency twice and after heaps of anti nausea medications felt no better wanted to die! In the end had to have band out you must see your surgeon .This is not normal

I cannot reiterate enough what everyone else has said. PLEASE CALL YOUR SURGEON NOW! Was he/she not consulted when you went to the ER? What you are experiencing is not normal. I'm so sorry you are going through this. I hope you get relief and resolve soon!

I feel the same way! Finaly found someone In the same situation. I have the band where it was filled at time of sugery so maybe all I need is to take that out all I know this really isn't normal tried calling my dr but he's on vacation and his nurse never called back ugh! I only been to the ER once but really wanted to go many times agh!