Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

*YAY* Finally we have our own forum! I was thinking that a bio thread would be a great first start to this forum. I know a lot of us already introduced ourselves under the August thread in the July forum, but now that we have our own space lets start over!

So a little about me, I am 24 years old and from Peabody MA. I am scheduled for surgery @ Lahey Clinic in Burlington on August 14th. Currently I am 5ft 1 and 249 lbs, giving me a BMI of 47, ekkk! I have always been overweight and don't remember the last time I was in the 100's. As of right now, I am still waiting for approval from Aetna, lets hope that comes soon! Well as for me I'm an open book so feel free to ask me anything, I can't wait to talk with everyone. We are going to really need eachother in the upcoming weeks/months!

So I guess I'll be next. My name is Angela and I am 30 years old and living in Union City, NJ. I've been overweight allllllllllllllllll my life. I can't remember the last time I was in onederland either... I was probably about 12! I am 5'6'' currently weighing about 260. I have my last Dr.'s appt. this Thursday 7/16 which they will also give me my surgery date. I am hoping that it will be the first week of August due to work reasons. Then I will wait upon approval from Aetna. Does anyone know how long approval takes?? Whos is doing lapband and who is doing Realize Band? Hope to hear from you all soon!! Good Luck to all!! :thumbdown:

My turn..My name is Jacquie, I'm 31 yrs old living in NYC. I'm 5'4 and currently weigh about 265. I've been at this weight ( my heaviest) for about 2 years and like everyone else hear diets have done zippo !! Last time I saw 1's was about 6 + years ago. I'm doing the lapband and My surgery date has been set for aug 10th @ NYU with Dr. Ren. I've had all my pre-recs for the insurance done and am just waiting for Horizon BCBS to give the approval. I'm both super excited about this change and taking back control of my life but at the same time I'm anxious and nervous.

Adelarosa, as far as I understand approval can take anywhere from 2 days to 2 months, it depends on your insurance coordinator and how quickly she submits the forms and pushes the bariatric nurse from your insurance for a decision. The average at my surgeon is about 2 weeks.

Any good ideas for the liquid pre-op diet? there are like 10 million Protein shakes !! How to chose without wating a small fortune ???

Hope to hear from y'all & be as supportive as I can !!

My name is Kim. I'm 44 years old, 5'1" tall and weigh 200 lbs. My surgery is scheduled for August 17th and I start my pre-op diet on August 3rd (pray for me) :thumbdown:. On August 12th I have to attend a mandatory pre-op class to get more information on what I should expect and also to give the vampires more blood.

I'm so excited about this surgery. I've tried to lose weight for the past 10 years only to gain back what I've lost and then some.

As for the pre-op liquid diet, I've looked into different Protein drinks and have just received a few samples of nectar Protein and I will let you know which flavors I like. And if you have any suggestions on Protein Drinks, please let me know.

Let's all keep in touch and post updates as we go through this transition in our lives.

Hi, My name is Melonie, and I am from Calgary Canada. I am having my surgery in Toronto. I have struggled with weight most of my adult life, but have recently struggled more due to an injury to the cartilage in my knee. I have developed osteoarthritis and my lack of mobility has really fueled my weight gain. I am at my highest weight ever, 5'1" and 258!

I only made my decision last week, and as I am self pay, they gave me a date of august 11th. I was in shock. A lot to get my head around in such a short time, but probably for the best as I would worry too much with a long wait.

Good luck to all of you fellow August bandsters, I am looking forward to seeing how we all get along.

Melonie

I guess me next. My name is Patty, like most who find their self doing lapband I have tried it all. Nothing worked. I was above average weight in High School and have steadily gained. Previously, I could handle my weight...I'm kinda tall, so I "carried it well". However, I lost my mom November 2008 and have since put on about 50 lbs. These last 50lbs have aged me 10 years. I hurt, I can't move, I'm miserable, and cant seem to stop the gain. My Dr and I have a very good relationship, and she bodly told me lose it or die! I would really like to see my future grandkids grow up! I am scheduled August 7, 2009 with Dr. Rodriquez in JZ Mexico. I'm excited and a little scared. I'm not scared of the surger, just that I'll be that small percentage that has a slip or something and the band will have to be removed. I hope this forum grows and remains very active. We are all going to need each other in the coming weeks and months. My current weight is 342.

Patty

kwright:

Welcome!! I just wanted to let you know about my favorite Protein shake I have found so far. I tried unjury but didn't really care for it, my new favorite is one I actualy found at costco! It is called Premier Nutrtion, it is a pre-mixed chocolate flavored shake and has 20 gms of protein! Good luck, and please let me know what you think of the nectar ones!

I am 30yrs old & married to Dana. We have a 4yr old daughter, Lauren & 15 month old son, Tyler. They are a handful, but too much fun! I have been overweight my entire life. I grew up in the South in Birmingham, AL & loved to eat.... too much. I had my initial consult on April 27, 2009 with Dr. Fox in WA where I currently live. I had never worked out or eaten healthy in my life. I weighed in at 489lbs at a height of 5' 8". This gave me a BMI of 74. Dr. Fox opened my eyes when he told me that he was unwilling to do surgery because of my enormous size. Ok... it's time to do something to change my life so that I can continue getting those precious hugs that my kids give me daily!!! I left his office and went to the local gym and signed up. I have gone every night since. I have lost 58lbs so far and Dr. Fox tells me he is willing to do surgery next month. I am hoping to get a date tomorrow at my 3rd appt with him. We will see what he says. I have been loosely following the Atkins Diet with the help of a prescription appetite suppresant (Phentermine). This combo has done wonders for me. Luckily the only med problems I had was high blood pressure, but my primary doc has already taken me off of those meds... my HBP as gotten down to normal from working out and eating so much better (& less). I have never felt better & to think I am still 431lbs. I can't wait to shed 100-200lbs and be a new Jason! I have completed all testing. My last doc to see on July 22 is a GI doc for clearance and then watch the clock tick. Let's Roll.

Thank you to the creator of this forum. It will prove to be very helpful I am sure. This website has brought me a lot of joy & help thus far. I am excited about the future! Nice to "meet" all of you.

Jason

What are you all doing to pass the time??? We leave on vacation on Friday and will return the 24th. I have to start my preop diet, which for my dr is high solid Protein, low fat, low carb. I'll have to start it on the 20th while we are on vacation.

When I get back I'll have a coulple of weeks to wait, and am trying to set up things to do to keep me distracted.

One cool thing I am going to do is go through the 5 or 6 totes of clothes that I own that no long fit. I'm going to discard (donate) the ones that I don't like or are worn. The rest I am going to sort by size in one of my spare closets. It will be exciting everytime I get to move into a new size. I'll be able to see what essentials I'll need while I'm in that size, and what I already have!

I'm also scheduling so time with friends to do stuff that doesn't include eating. We get together from time to time and make jewelery. I have scheduled a time for us to get together and organize our stuff.

Any other ideas out there? I'll go crazy just sitting and waiting!

Patty

Jason, Congrats on your weight loss. I give you a hardy clap of hands for going to the gym. I hate the gym. It's not the gym so much as the "going" to the gym. When I get off work I want to go HOME! My hubby is looking around for some gym equipment that won't break the bank and turning a spare bedroom into a gym for me! He's a sweetie. A real sweetie...he bought me a very nice treadmill once before, for me to hang clothes on. We gave it away. Now he's wlling to do it again! What a man!

Patty

kwright:

Welcome!! I just wanted to let you know about my favorite Protein shake I have found so far. I tried unjury but didn't really care for it, my new favorite is one I actualy found at costco! It is called Premier Nutrtion, it is a pre-mixed chocolate flavored shake and has 20 gms of protein! Good luck, and please let me know what you think of the nectar ones!

Well so far I've tried the nectar Roadside Lemonade and Crystal Sky. They both reminded me of the Optifast vanilla shakes and it brought back bad memories so I had trouble drinking both. To me the lemonade was terrible and the crystal sky was tolerable.

I'm thinking about purchasing the unflavored Isopure and adding it to my Crystal Lite drinks. If anyone has tried this, please let me know. Plus, I think that if I get the unflavored, I can add it to different Soups and get my Protein in that way.

So now I don't feel so bad about the Roadside Lemonade. I thought that I was odd since everyone seems to rave about that flavor. :thumbdown: