Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are your hobbies?

I crochet and scrapbook. I have tried just about every craft out there but these are the two I still do. Use to do alot of sewing(had my own bridal business for years) I'm teaching my two grandaughters to crochet right now.

I knit, paint, make mosaics, and hand-build with clay, but my biggest "hobby" is my job as a teacher!

Sigh, Im just so not crafty. I like being creative but i dont want my house full of crafty crap, lol. My decorating style is very minimalist so I dont know what the heck I'd do with a million scrapbook albums. My style is more of the 14 matching leather albums style.

But I am putting togehter my teaching portfolio and just had to do a fairly detailed visual arts diary (doing a teaching degree) I can do those sorts of things pretty well if I have a reason to do them.

I had a home business making hemp diapers for a few years, I made some pretty gorgeous creations and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Nowadays, its running and when i do get a chance, I just love a bit of home decorating - I have a fairly keen design eye and given the budget can put together a fairly impressive room - but sadly, its the sort of talent I only get to indulge once every couple of years. I like really modern, graphic decor which doesnt fit in well with patchwork and cross-stitch and such.

For the spring, summer and fall - it is gardening! I love playing in the dirt - and I mean all aspects of it - weeding, ripping up sods, transporting truckloads of soil by wheelbarrow, designing gardens, uprooting and repositioning plants/shrubs/trees, etc. Hard physical labour that has my hands calloused, my skin bruised and scraped, my nails a mess, knees permanently stained with dirt...just love it!

Other things - reading...reading reading reading. I average 2 or 3 books a week (well written literate thrillers or mysteries, but almost anything except romance, westerns and self-help).

Baking - I can spend hours in the kitchen baking. And really, being banded hasn't changed that at all - I still enjoy it. I just give the baked goods away.

Needlework of all sorts - xstitch, hand quilting, knitting, crochet, crewel, needlepoint etc.

I used to be 'into' photography - decades ago, but gave that up. Now I'm lucky to take a picture of anything once a month!

But no interior design for me - I look at mags and see rooms that just have a nice atmosphere/appeal to me, but have no idea how to recreate it, so I admit my rooms are just 'blah'...nothing special or artistic because I just don't know how to pull it together. I don't have that 'eye' for decorating...sigh.

Edited by tapshoes
typos...

For the spring, summer and fall - it is gardening! I love playing in the dirt - and I mean all aspects of it - weeding, ripping up sods, transporting truckloads of soil by wheelbarrow, designing gardens, uprooting and repositioning plants/shrubs/trees, etc. Hard physical labour that has my hands calloused, my skin bruised and scraped, my nails a mess, knees permanently stained with dirt...just love it!

Other things - reading...reading reading reading. I average 2 or 3 books a week (well written literate thrillers or mysteries, but almost anything except romance, westerns and self-help).

Baking - I can spend hours in the kitchen baking. And really, being banded hasn't changed that at all - I still enjoy it. I just give the baked goods away.

Needlework of all sorts - xstitch, hand quilting, knitting, crochet, crewel, needlepoint etc.

I used to be 'into' photography - decades ago, but gave that up. Now I'm lucky to take a picture of anything once a month!

But no interior design for me - I look at mags and see rooms that just have a nice atmosphere/appeal to me, but have no idea how to recreate it, so I admit my rooms are just 'blah'...nothing special or artistic because I just don't know how to pull it together. I don't have that 'eye' for decorating...sigh.

O.K Tap I need you to come landscape my yard for me please:rolleyes:. I love to decorate cakes but haven't done it for a couple of yrs. Used to love to read but need new glasses. I love to do different types of arts and crafts, but once again haven't for a few yrs. When I was managing quick stops I worked all the time and stopped doing what I loved. I haven't gotten back into doing them again. I don't like to knit or crochet or sew.

Jachut..:).I need you to come decorate my home for me. I have tried but it is a train wreck!lol

I like painting the crafts I make if it needs painting. I want to start to scrapbook. I have all the pictures from my parents after they passed away. I want to use those and make a scrapbook for my sister and brother and all the grandkids. I literally have boxes upon boxes from them. Not counting all the slides and old 48 reel to reel films.

We live on a farm and raise Call Ducks, have horses and three labs. I love to be outside even if it is cleaning stalls! I don't do housework, so I clean outside. LOL If stuck in the house I knit baby blankets for Stanford Neo Unit. They are always needing blankets since every baby is given a blanket to keep. Need something to do? Look for how you can help in your community.

I take piano lessons. When the urge to eat gets to be unbearable, I just pull up my piano stool and start banging the keys!

:eek:

Luckily I have a digital piano and can turn down the volume (I kinda stink). LOL, but it's all good!

This is an interesting thread. I am definitely not crafty either. I wish I were, but I am just not.

I love animals and spending time with them. I also enjoying going jeeping in the woods. And of course, my main hobby is technology. I love the newest, geekiest stuff I can get my hands on.

Susan, I do some crafty things, or use to, but I too love my animals and spending time with them. We just got back from the dog park and two of them are sleeping next to me. I love taking them and they get so worn out they sleep all afternoon!!! Even the puppy is zonked out! LOL

My dogs love the dog park! They have a huge lake there, and as soon as we walk through the gates, they head straight for it. It is all we can do to convince them to come out of the Water. And, like yours, ours absolutely crash for the rest of the night when we get home.

I play the piano too, I just go put a CD in it and turn it on! I wish I had that talent to really play.

Blklab, I see you and I are the same age. It's a lot harder to learn to play paino now! I took lessons for over 4 years when I was a kid and thought it was all going to come back to me, picturing myself playing a piano bar (yeah..right!..lol).

I have to really practice a LOT! It's fun though. I am about 1 1/2 years into my lessons this time around and still don't feel comfortable enough to play a tune for someone, but I'm getting there. :eek:

I'm hoping I can play well enough down the road to volunteer playing at a hospital, church, etc. :smile2:

For me it's photography, that's my true passion in life. I LOVE IT! I can do all kinds of other crafty things as well. Scrap booking, crochet, floral arranging, jewelry making and oil painting. Here's a few of my photos...

post-265563-13813138537575_thumb.jpg

post-265563-13813138538019_thumb.jpg

post-265563-13813138538477_thumb.gif

post-265563-13813138538975_thumb.jpg

post-265563-1381313853922_thumb.jpg

I enjoy gardening, reading and cooking. After an afternoon of gardening there's nothing I enjoy more than relaxing with a good book (murder mystery, historic/paranormal (vampire, fae, highlander) romance...).

In lieu of days and days of working out at the gym, I've decided to take belly dance and salsa lessons (salsa w/hubby). As my surgeon strongly suggests that the key is to keep active. Find something you enjoy (swimming, hiking, badmitton, dance....) and go for it. He says that most people stop working out due to bordom - his words, "spice it up". Can't get much spicier than belly dancing - can't wait. Yep, I've signed up and am ready to shake my "BIG" soon to be smaller belly.:eek:

Bashful, those are really beautiful, you are good!

Maryrose, you plan and I will sing, I can sing! Really I can!!!