Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Suddenly too tight...again

Has anyone out there had problems with your band tightening suddenly? This has happened to me about 4 times since I was banded Nov. 2008. I can be going along just fine and for some reason, I will feel tighter and tighter until I can't even get Water down. Then I have to have it loosened and I don't lose weight.

I've heard some people say that stress causes this or PMS (sorry guys), but I haven't been able to identify a pattern. Has anyone else had this happen multiple times? It is starting to feel like I can't lose weight unless I am unable to eat anything! It's pretty frustrating and I am worried that this will continue to be a problem.

Does anyone have suggestions/solutions?

Labmom,

This has also happened to me. Just this past Wednesday I had to have .5cc taken out. My last fill was Oct '08 and all of a sudden in Feb I started noticing that I was getting tighter and tighter until I had to see the Dr. He checked the band and yes it was tight. When I asked why, all he could say was that it happens and there's no real reason why.

I will continue with the same of amount of portions until after Ramadan this year, and then I'll go back for a fill in late September.

Thank you for your reply. It is weird that the band suddenly decides to tighten. I'm just glad to know I am not the only person this has happened to!

I haven't even had my first fill yet and I feel like that...just all of a sudden (today) I can barely get food down..no PB or sliming or nasua...just like it's pressure to swallow and feel as if it's just kinda getting to full to quick....hmmm...

The same thing happened to me this week. I'd finally gotten to the elusive sweet spot, was losing weight at a steady pace and feeling great. Suddenly, I couldn't eat more than 3 bites of anything or even get down sips of Water. I thought the problem might resolve itself, but it didn't. I hated the thought of an unfill, but knew it wasn't worth the risk of possible complications. Luckily because I got to the Dr quickly I didn't have to be completely unfilled. No one could tell me what triggered the tightness.

That's happening to me right now! I had a fill almost two weeks ago, and all was fine. Suddenly after a week I can't eat ANYTHING and it's hard to get Water down. I was kind of thinking maybe something was stuck, but it's been 4 1/2 days...i'm glad I stumbled upon this forum. Thanx.

I am glad I found this post. I had my first fill and felt little if any restriction. I was careful not to over eat, at that point I was doing it mostly on will power. 10 days after my first fill, I was at my son's soccer game and was cheering (or yelling)lol, a lot. Immediately after that the next thing I ate (was a sugar free ice pop) was suddenly painful. Could the stress and yelling have anything to do with it? Slippage maybe? Since then I have vomited/slimed (not sure of the difference) a few times a week and a lot of food has gotten "stuck". I can no longer eat meat (even shredded in the magic bullet). I seem to be okay with egg salad and fish, but I don't know what to make of it. If any one has any ideas, I would be happy to hear of it.

Many thanks!

Are you guys getting sufficient (at least 64 ounces) of Water each day? (not crystal lite, not tea, just plain old WATER)?

I was wondering what size band you guys have and how much fill made you have problems.

I don't know what size band, other than the recptionist said AP regular. She said the DR was away and she didn't understand how much fill I rec'd in chart.

Interesting. What does the Water have to do with the band suddenly tightening?

I haven't ever really experienced this phenomenon...because I don't eat Breakfast usually, I drink a Protein shake. But...sometimes even my AM coffee felt a little funky, so I asked my doc about it (he's great). He said HYDRATION seems to be the major culprit. He said if you are well hydrated then the band is loose, if not, then it isn't. In a way, internally, Water is a lubricant (NOT saying it is mucous etc! ) but think how dry your skin and lips can get if you're dehydrated? Internally if we don't have enough water, things restrict and tighten up. Water them and they relax again (this is really generic, not trying to be scientific but just give a visual).

SO he said people who get at least 64 oz of water a day (not all at once either, LOL but spread out) don't usually have the fluctuation issues.

I mentioned this to a friend really struggling and it may have saved her band; she said it changed her life, because she hadn't been drinking much of any water, just other things. She said the first day she got her 64 oz was almost miraculous.

My restriction now is very consistent. AM/PM doesn't matter,

I think it's worth at least a try if you are fluctuating widely and haven't been getting the water in.

Hydration is a big factor, as Restless said. But, fluctuations DO happen, for no reason sometimes. PMS is a big factor, I know every TOM I have major tightness. On those days, Breakfast is a can of chicken broth HOT. The salt pulls the Water in, and I can usually eat better those days. But, sometimes not... that band has a mind of its own sometimes.... :rolleyes2:

Yep, unfills have been part of my life.

After I was banded in 06 I went as high as 2.8 cc's then started going down. All the way to 1.0 cc's. Then I tried to go back up but could only get to 1.4 cc's. I have the smaller band, I believe it's 10 cc's.

Then just in December of 08 had a Gallbladdar attack on new years eve eve. Sent me to the ER after 4 hours of contstant stabbing pain. Got the Gallbladdar out on New's Eve and all my Fluid out in a few days after that.

Now looking back, my dr says the Gallbladdar problems could have made it tighter.

I'm starting to get filled again, just went last tues and went up from 1.2 to 1.6 and am dying again. Can't drink much liquids. After I left the dr's office I was fine and the next 2 days, then all of the sudden, closed up like ft knox! Yes TOM is here.

I'm going back tomorrow to get an unfill.

It is extremely frustrating. I think total I have had 15 fills/unfills. I thought it would be less work. Especially now since my insurance changed and isn't covering the fills as of Jan 09. Just this year I've already had 4 visits.

My dr is very watchful on fills and I haven't ever gotten more than .5 cc's.

So yes it can happen. In my case, it's never calmed down on it's own. I even waiting a month one time thinking it will get back to normal, trying to tough it out. But by that time I did loose 20 lbs (I think lots of Water weight), but it came right back after they took all my Fluid out and I felt like crap from not eating.

Some people are very sensitive, myself included and others are less.

But I agree, if your in pain and can't get any food down and not even liquid, go back for an unfill. I'm 3 years out and only down 30 lbs, but I'm not giving up!

And I do agree with the Tool side of it. I think for me it's part of my body and part of me not following complete directions.