Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

very slow digestive system...has anyone else experienced complications from this

<TABLE class=tborder id=post1209250 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_1209250 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #c9ced4 1px solid">I was banded in June 2008. Everything seemed fine and on track until December 2008. I began experiencing problems and kept going back to the surgeon to have my band unfilled. I would feel ok a few days then go back to being sick again...excessive vomiting, dehydration, and minimal infrequent bowel movements. I have been through many tests the last few months, an upper GI, endoscopy, and most recently a GES..gastric emptying study. It's been determined my digestive system is working too slow. The purpose of the band is to keep the food in the stomach longer so you feel full, but mine seems to be to the extreme. I am getting backed up and theres no where for the food to go but back out the top. A gastroenterologist ordered the GES test and I have to go back for my follow up, but they suggest I take a medicine to speedup digestion...its called REGLAN. They said i had to sign a legal waiver before it could be prescribed though as it has major side effects including involuntary muscle reflexes and suicidal effects. Needless to say I will be refusing to take this medicine. I am scheduled to see my band surgeon to see what his opinion is, and I plan on having my band emptied for now. I have lost 93 pounds in 10 months, too fast really, as I can barely eat, and have never gotten beyong the soft foods stage. I was just curious if having the band has caused this effect on anyone elses digestive system. I did not have this situation before being banded. I dont know if emptying the band at this point will help my digestive system.

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #c9ced4 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #c9ced4 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #c9ced4 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #c9ced4 1px solid">user_online.gifreport.gif </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The FDA has given Reglan a black box warning. Use only if there is no other choice but I don't blame you for not taking it now. Do more research about it and ask if there is an alternative medicine. There was a similar drug called Propulsid that they took off the market years ago. You have lost a lot of weight in a short amount of time. I think a complete unfill is in order. See what your doctor says, but your whole system will need time to heal. Good luck.

I believe I have a similar problem. That started about the same time. I suffer from Constipation and excessive gas that leads to times where I can eat like a pig to time that I can't even get down Soup or Water. They say its gas because they did a fluro a couple times and can see the lower stomach full with gas. Right now I am pretty loose, but I still have problems. I'm very frustrated. I haven't lost any weight since my last fill that was back in late february (I believe). My doctor's office just keeps telling me to take over the counter gas medicine to control it, but it doesn't control it. I've tried every type there is. I don't know what to do. I've also asked if I should go and see my regular doctor to see if there is anything, and they said not, they can't help. Its just gas.

It is frustrating that no doctors seem to know what to do with us...even the surgeons who do the banding aren't sure what to do when a problem or complication arises. I'm not sure if I ever would have gotten banded if I had known that no one could help us with a post op issue. I get tired of the people in the surgeon's office rolling their eyes, telling me to tough it out, or acting like they don't believe my symptoms, then just telling me anything to placate me to get me out of the office. We are the ones with this band inside of us, we know when we don't feel right and something's wrong. Dr's need to start listening more instead of dismissing us. They really dont know all the answers, and should admit to that. I realize everything has side effects, but people who are downright miserable need help and to have their issues addressed.

I had very similiar problems with my band and still do. My stomach just isn't taking to the band that well. It's a continuous process of going in and out fills and unfills. I think that everyones body is different and they all react differently. I just had my band completely unfilled because my stomach was so inflammed that it wasn't allowing for any fluids to pass through. I lost over 30 pounds in 2 months. Although that was great i was completely miserable. It was totally not worth it for me. My advise to you is have it unfilled for a while and let your stomach have a little break. We put our bodies through shock each time we have an adjustment and it can't be good. Since my unfill yesterday I fill almost 100% better now and my stomach is thanking me for it. It can always be re-filled. I'm sure this didn't help much but thought it might be helpful to hear somebody elses perspective. Hope you feel better. Take care.

Winthrop, I'm sorry to hear of all you have been through. I am glad to hear getting a complete unfill has made you feel better. If I may ask, how much was in your band when you decided to get a complete unfill? And what size band do you have? I too can tell that anytime I received a fill or had a bad bout of vomiting, that my stomach was injured/traumatized and needed time to heal. It is odd how everyoness body's/stomachs react differently. Thank you all for the suggestions and support.

I have a 10CC band and at the time I had 7CC's in it. That was after 3 adjustments and me going back the third time to have an unfill because it was too tight. It's been an uphill battle. My stomach hates the band. Now my band is completely empty and I'm starting all the way back at square one. But I can eat and drink right now and lord knows that's more important to me now. I realized how important things like Water were to me and how I take simple things for granted. I hope you figure out what's wrong with you. Good luck.

I also have a 10cc band, I never did get more than 4 cc's in it. I am down to 1.5 cc's now, I am hoping an unfill helps but I hardly have anything in it now, I dont know how much of a difference I will notice if the bans is empty. Thanks for the information.

I lost track with how much I have in it, but I would say I am aroun 6cc in a 10cc band. Lately I have had a burning sensation at the bottom of my throat. It is usually when I am taking some meds. The only medication I took before the band was prolosect. I've started taking that again, I take constant gas medications, I'm staking stool softeners/laxatives. I've tried to take Fiber pills but can't get them down.

Uggg. I get a side ache when the gas is bad. But I dont' sit around and fart or burp a lot. So I guess that is my problem, that the gas is not passing. I've read up on the gas medicine and it doesn't relieve the gas, I guess it make all the little tiny gas bubbles into one big gas bubble so it is to make it easier to pass it. I don't think that works for me though. I don't know.

I don't want to have a complete unfil, but I'm thinking I need it. I was hoping that it would get better. I actually have been doing better since my last until which I believe it was alost 2 months ago, but this last week has been bad.

Hi All -

It is interesting in reading your posts. I had surgery August 07 and over the last 6 months or so I have had random spats of really bad stomach cramping and burning sensations. I have read other posts of others having the same problems and those people ending up getting their band removed because no doctors could help them. I went to the gastrologist and he wants to do an endoscopy, but I don't want it. Because I don't think it will find anything.

I really don't think there is a problem with my band - I think it is what you all are saying! Our stomachs have changed the way they digest food, and we are feeling that wrath. I stared taking Fiber pills that others have suggested and that helped a few times.

BUT...

I started reading about alternative therapies and tried eating pineapple when I start getting the pains. It has helped incredibly to curb the pain! It makes me pass alot of gas, but that is what I think is causing the pain.

I started reading that pineapples have a enzyme called Bromelain that aids in breaking down Protein. I am going to really start paying attention to what is triggering the pain. If it is when I eat Protein, then I will go back to the gastrologist and let him know what I have discovered. I think I maybe on to something.... :) (at least I hope so because I DO NOT want to loose my band!)

More info on pineapples: Pineapple - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bromelain: Bromelain - What You Need to Know About Bromelain

If anyone would like to experiment with your stomach issues and pineapple - feel free to share your experiences with it here so we can all know if it is working for all or us or not!

I saw my family dr yesterday, whom I hadn't seen in 6th months. She seemed very concerned of all my band issues. She said she would do her part to help me. I spoke to her about REGLAN, she said its been around for a long time and used a lot. She said if I was 85 I shouldnt take it, but she felt I would tolerate it ok and that it can be stopped if any side effects occur. It still makes me leary to take it. She ordered all types of bloodtests, which the band surgeon never does. I am to have the following blood tests done: METAB PNL, COMP....TSH....CBC W/AUTOMATED DIFF...B12 LEVEL....and Iron SERUM. I know that TSH is for thyroid issues, which I have and see an endocrinologist for, and B12 and IRON, but does anyone know what the other tests are looking for? My dr mentioned something about potassium too. I told the dr I was getting no nutrition and basically living on dairy, which is about the only thing I dont throw up, and that I have bouts of Constipation, then severe diarrhea, and a lot of dizziness. I am getting very little Protein or fiber. I have almost constant stomach pain, like a burning, which some others have mentioned here also. I will have to try the pineapple and see what happens. I will have to drink pineappple juice as I doubt pieces of actual pineapple would stay down for me. I see my band surgeon in a few days, but he really hasn't been very helpful. He's a surgeon and knows that part, but doesn't seem to know what do do with issues afterward. I wish he would associate with other dr's to help patients follow through with issues afterward. I feel like most dr's are guessing here. After almost passing out twice at work, I am extremely concerned. I dont know if I almost passed out due to dehydration, or my electrolites and potassium levels are way off.

When I was banded I knew that being banded was hard but I thought that meant hard to lose weight, more effort required. Not so, banding is hard because of what folks are writing here. The fills, unfills, restriction problems, gas, Constipation, pain, esophageal spasms, reflux, pain, all of it. THAT is what is hard about the band.

I realized that I learned to accept this as a way of life, it is what it is.

Then things got worse in a hurry and with an unfilled band I was on liquids for 4 months. That's when I had enough and revised to a sleeve.

I guess my point here is that if you can't get these problems resolved you really need to consider removing the band or getting a revision. I have a sleeve now and a sleeve is like a band that actually works without all the risks and complications. NO STOMA! Just a tiny little stomach. I waited too long and now I have esophageal damage. Don't make the same mistake I did. Don't sit on this, get something done.

Unfortunately, I tried to wait on the band and kept it for 7 months. I have irreversible espophagus damage and must take a muscle relaxer the rest of my life. If you are having problems as I did early on, please think about what you are doing and make informed choices.

Good Luck and God Bless..........

Private Dancer7

What causes the esophagus damage? Is it vomiting? I haven't had an easy time with my band, though not as bad as what people here are describing, but I do not want to cause any damage. Since getting it done in December 2008, though, I still have pain. The surgeon tells me pain is "normal". Had I known that it was normal, I wouldn't have gotten it in the first place! I though reduction in hunger was normal, ability to eat less was normal, but no one said pain was going to be a daily part of my new life once I had a band. Hmmm.

lompocbander: Pain is not normal. Pain is your body's way of saying something is wrong. Pain with the band is not normal. Pain with getting stuck is obvious and short lived and you know what you did wrong. You are correct in saying that the band is promoted as a tool or device that reduces hunger and allows you to be satisfied with less healthy food. Your part of the bargain is to eat healthy foods, eat slowly, chew, don't drink with your meals, don't eat foods you cannot tolerate and exercise. PAIN IS NOT PART OF THE BARGAIN. DO NOT TOLERATE IT. AND FIND ANOTHER DOCTOR - YOURS IS AN IDIOT.