Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone, I'm new :)

Hello Twenties!

I've actually been reading the message boards for a while now but this is my first time posting. I'm 21 years old I'll be 22 in june, and I am considering having the lap band done. I've done so many diets, even had a personal trainer, and lost some weight but not a significant amount. I weigh 187 lbs, and my goal weight, according to the charts, is between 115-123. My dad had he surgery done on the 17th of december and has lost almost 30 pounds since then. I want to have it done, but at the same time I keep telling myself i could lose it on my own, yet ive tried so many times but just cant seem to discipline myself.i know that this is not the easy way out, i just feel it would force me to be disciplined. its hard..i was wondering if anyone could give me their opinion on whether or not i should do it, or things to expect..anything like that, i would really appreciate it.

i came to the decision to get banded after i sat down and made a list of all the times i tried to lose weight. after seeing on paper the years i spent trying to get in shape and failing i realized i didnt want to waste any more time being overweight.

everyone is different and everyone has a different experience, and its a personal choice - maybe you could speak to the surgeon your father used, it might help you make up your mind when you hear what they have to say.

Hi There!

I too am considering the surgery. It's something I really want and need. If I can just use the surgery as a tool I know I'll be able to make progress and feel good about myself. My biggest concern/worry is that I won't qualify for the surgery. I am going to see my primary care doctor on 3/9! That day can't come soon enough. I have no idea what her reaction will be which makes me so nervous!

I can't say enough good things about lapband surgery. I was banded on 1/16/09 and have since lost 35 lbs. I have energy to do things like walk my children to school every morning, take 3 mile walks for fun, wrestle with my kids, and get my house clean. I know that sounds so lame, but I had zero energy before. The quality of my life has changed so drastically in the last month it amazes me. My husband had the surgery 2 weeks after me and has had similar results. After spending years dieting we decided to take charge of our lives and not look back. Like I said, it's the best thing we have ever done. My only regret is not having it done sooner. Good luck with your journey!

Thanks for your replies everyone. Right now I am in the process of getting insurance approval. I've already had a consultation and hopefully it works out. laurr925, i've also decided that i don't wanna spend anymore time being overweight. so i hope things go smoothly.. mrsebg its really cool that you have lost so much in such a short time! thanks again for your replies :w00t:

Honestly it's an amazing tool if you know how to use it. Keep in mind that you'll have change your life as well (exercising, changing eating habits). So long as you do that the band will make you a happy person!

Honestly. I'm so ready to make changes. Thats why i think the band would be so beneficial, because it would force me to become disciplined.