Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

URGENT ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE (- quite long post)

What should I do..?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What should I do..?

• Wait it out a few days
    • Go and get an unfill on Sunday

I had a 0.5ml fill 2 weeks ago which takes me to 7mls.

I didnt notice any difference for the first few days, then as is usual with me, I started to feel more and more restricted over the course of the rest of the week. Last weekend I felt a good restriction.

I know that my food is unusual, but this is not what I would like advice about.

This week has been fine...

Monday slimfast for Breakfast, snack and lunch with plenty of hot and cold and drinks, helping of lasagne for dinner

Tuesday slimfast Breakfast, snack and lunch and soome mashed potato and gravy in evening

Wednesday Slimfast for breakfast, snack and lunch and then some chip shop chips and a little fish for dinner. This was followed by a small jar of olives and packet of crisps

NOW THEN...

Yesterday I had slimfast for brekkie, several cups of coffee, some flat coke and another slimfast for lunch.

Then in the evening I put together a little mashed potato and stew in a bowl with the family. I have one desert spoon of the stew (no lumps) and had to wait and wait. I had a swig of drink to see... nope, it had to come up. Then later I tried to drink my cold coffee and I threw it up. Later still we were watching a film (about 11pm) and I had some wine and that wouldnt go down either. We went to bed at the usual time and I took a glass of Water with me. Drank some and promptly had to find an appropriate vessel to get rid of that too. Went to sleep.

This morning, got up and had my coffee as usual... but 2 sips in I had to stop. Its now 1pm and my coffee I made at 9 is still here infront of me... 2 sips less. I have been to tesco and whilst there bought some polo mints. I have sucked 2 and can feel them there and its not comfy if you knwo what I mean, but not bad enough to make myself sick.

So has anyone else had this happen... be absolutely fine and then had a really tight day?

Lifestyle wise, I have been doing a serious amount of heavy lifting and decorating and things for the last 2 days. could that sudenly have an effect on tightness? I dont see that because I only had a problem after yesterdays evening meal and this morning.

If I have to have some out, then I have to call them today and make an appointment for Sunday.

Or should I go with it and see if it settles down? The thing is the lady who does the fills is only about every 2 weeks!! Could be disaster.

Or am I fretting over nothing... At the moment today I have only had 2 sips of coffee and 2 polos... This is obviously not good!!

I guess I need advice about sudden tightness which subsides, or whether I should get some out... I am REALLY lothe to have somethnig out as its taken me since August to get the Fluid in and I have only just started losing again.

I am more worried about dehydration than hunger as I am not hungry.

look any advice would be great to be honest.

Thanks

Bunny

Or should I go with it and see if it settles down? The thing is the lady who does the fills is only about every 2 weeks!! Could be disaster.

If you don't make your appt for Sunday, are you saying the next time you can get in is in two weeks?

Can you make the Sunday appt and cancel Saturday if things settle down?

My doctor's rule of thumb is that if you can't get fluids down, you need an unfill immediately. If you can't progress from mushies to solid Protein within two weeks, you need an unfill.

It sounds like you might have irritated the band area by being slightly over filled, and now you're really too tight. I would call my doctor, if I were in your shoes. Sorry you're going through this.

Good advice, thanks...

I am wondering if its completely necessary because it happend quite randomly just yesterday evening... I have been eating fine since the fills (I always have slimfast for lunch and brekkie and we alwasy eat stews and mashed soft food... just the way we are)

but it was the sudden randomness of it happening last night...

thats why I am asking the question. If I had been like this since last Saturday, firstly I think I would eb dead, but had I managed to survive then I would be tearing my hear out by now.

I think I will book an appointment and cancel if needed.

anymore ideas people? Anyone else had sudden onset tightness? what could ahve caused it?

I also agree with booking the appointment for Sunday and cancelling if necessary. If it doesn't improve, there is no way possible for you to wait two weeks for an unfill.

Sometimes after you pb, your stomach swells a little which causes more pb's, which causes more swelling and it gets progressively tighter. Stay on liquids for now, preferably warm until Sunday and see how you are doing. If you can't tolerate a mushy by Sunday, you definitely need an unfill.

Sometimes you don't need much of an unfill to fix you up again. Perhaps you can just take out half of your last fill and see how it feels. I would stay close to the place of your appointment for an hour and try to ingest a large serving of Water to make sure it is going through OK.

Another suggestion given to me by my fill doctor is liquid ibuprofen (such as motrin). This is usually not an approved med for bandsters so you will need to check with your doctor before considering it. However, it has an immediate effect on stomach swelling and imflamation. I would not use it beyond a couple of doses over a short course of time. I was told that it should only be used in emergency situation with stomach issues.

I would say you are likely too tight, it may have taken that long for the fill to fully kick in. I have had days when I am tighter, though never as tight as you are describing, I have always been able to handle liquids just fine. Sometimes hormones (ie.. monthly curse) can affect the tightness of the band. I know it does for me, but it only lasts a couple days, and have always been able to still drink liquids. If I were you, I would definately make that appointment for Sunday. You can get dehydrated quickly without being able to handle liquids, and you don't want to end up in the ER! A slight defill may bring you a ton of relief. Good luck, and hang in there!

I think you should DEFINITELY make the appt for Sunday. I completely understand wanting to maintain a tight band, because I do, as well, however my perspective is that you are a BIT too tight anyway. You're relying too much on nutrition from some Slim-fast shakes and that is 'fake nutrition' and 'fake vitamins' vs. real nutrition from real sources, JMHO. I got too the tight point that you were at and that tightness out of control... I ended up having to have an emergency unfill, and my doc was very concerned I had a slip. I'd go on Sunday and get a tiny bit taken out. It will definetely be in your best interest.

Thanks for the replies, thought I would let you know that I had an emergency appointment this morning and had 0.3mls removed and can now drink again!

Phew:thumbup:

Thanks everyone.

Bunny

Thanks for the replies, thought I would let you know that I had an emergency appointment this morning and had 0.3mls removed and can now drink again!

Phew:thumbup:

Thanks everyone.

Bunny

That is wonderful news. The tiniest amount removed can make all the difference in the world. I am happy you are feeling better.