Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finding a Dr. in the NYC area

I need to find a surgeon in the NYC area, westchester would be goosd also, that takes Aetna. I am starting my research and going to a seminar on Friday. I really want to this process to be fast. I am going to be 40 in October and I am 5'2 240lbs BMI about 43. I cant take it anymore. Its such a task just to walk for 10 mintues. I feel tightness in my back and my knees and feet hurt. Any great Doctors out there?!

I found a good Doctor in NY....Dr Fielding @ NYU Medical Center. Their office # 212-263-3166. Their group has done over 7,000 bands.

Hi, Vikki-

I don't know how far out of the city you would like to travel. I found a wonderful surgeon in LI. His name is Dr. Nick Gabriel of St. Catherine of Sienna Medical Center. The group is wonderful and they are great about answering questions and guiding me through the entire process. There is a nutritionist in the office as well. I found Dr. Gabriel thru the actual Lap Band website. I don't know what insurances they accept, but according to them, they haven't been denied yet. He has also done many procedures. Hope this help! Good luck on your journey.

I did not have my surgery done at NYU, but I have spoken to several people who have. Without exception, they were very pleased with the surgery and the program at NYU and follow-up. I think there are three surgeons in the program. I don't know if they take Aetna, but they do take several insurance plans. You should call them. It's important to have the surgery done at a center of excellence because they're equipped to deal with any problems, and, they'll always be there. I had my surgery done by an excellent surgeon, but at a provate hospital. He moved away and I'm left with no follow up and no place to get a fill. This is a problem for many people, so go to a large hospital with a bariatric unit. Don't go to Columbia Presbyterian. I had a terrible experence there (which is what left me scurrying to another surgeon) and I've spoken to others who have also. Good luck.

Vicki: Nick Gabriel did my surgery at a private hospital before he went to head the bariatric unit at St. Catherine's. He did a great job. He was highly recommended to me by another surgeon. He's a really nice guy and his staff was very helpful. I believe several went with him to St. Catherines. So if you want to have it done in Long Island, I'd highly recommend him.

Hi, Ilene!

I'm seeing Dr. Gabriel now! I'm so glad to hear that you had a nice experience! They don't do fills at St. Cath's? I'd love to hear more about your experience. I'm having a great time now. The girls are wonderful and I enjoy Sheryl. Dr. M is a hoot. LOL

Best wishes to you!

I used Dr. McGinty from St. Lukes hospital. He is the greates doctor ever.

OMG Me Too! You're the first person here that Ive heard of having been banded by Dr McGinty! Besides myself that is.

He's great but the admin staff is AWFUL!

I'm being banded on March 9th by Dr. Fielding and I have Aetna (he is in their network). I have only heard great things about him which is why I decided to go with the NYU group. Your first step if you want to use that practice is to go to one of their information seminars. Here is their website - it will tell you everything you need to know. NYU Thin For Life

Good luck!

thanks for all the Dr info. I am going for the seminar today actually in Bronxville with Dr. D Davis. Has anyone had an experience with him?

Hi there!

I was banded in June by Dr. Ren (NYU weight loss) and I could not be more pleased with with her as a physician. She is very warm and extremely professional. You might want to look into her practice. The only downside is how packed her practice is - if you are looking for something super fast this practice might be too busy for you.

Good Luck!

Thanks,

C