Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pretty sure slipped band

Hello all! It's been a long time since I posted.

I quit posting because I have a stalker friend and she will probably get this because she is probably linked on to me but what the heck ~ She is SOOOO psycho ~

Sarah you are a PSYCHO!!! Mind your own business...:thumbdown:

Anyway

I think I may have a slipped band.

I was banded 8/6/05 by Dr Ortiz.

Thoroughly happy with him and everything until recently.

Things have been good up until the last 2 months.

Lots of bping because I can never tell if it will let me eat or not and so when I try and it won't then I have to throw up.

Sometimes it would let me eat, other times not but if I had the band set any looser it would let me eat all day anything.

(I had about 1cc in it)

So I decided to leave it tighter rather than looser.

When it's tighter, I could only eat or drink between noon and 6pm. This was working great for me. I was losing about 3lbs a month. It could have been more had I cut out the carbs that I love : )

I got sick around Christmas twice and that was bad. I think that THAT throwing up screwed my band up.

After that I could only eat solids occasionally.

Now it's worse.

The past two weeks it's been only some types of mushies and Protein Drinks. Still just between noon and 5 or 6pm to avoid reflux as much as possible.

I got very dehydrated the end of Dec - early Jan to where my eyesight was blurry and my eyes were sunken, I was weak, dry mouth, thirsty, my urine was very dark, and I was literally dreaming at night about drinking lots of water!

But I eventually figured out how to fix that.

Get all my Water in through watered down Protein drinks eating no mushies or solids until after I have had ALL my liquid, otherwise the mushies or solids would plug me up for the day.

During Nov till just a couple weeks ago I would joke that I was like a snake. I could eat solids and have a regular meal and then not be able to eat much for a couple of days. The band would just tighten up a lot. The bad part about that is that when I would try to eat I would throw up if it wasn't ready for food that day and so it began to be a lot of bping. Sometimes 10 times a day or more. I was hungry though.

I have also had bad reflux the past 3 mo.

I had all my fill taken out 3 days ago and rather than feeling open, it felt more swollen in my esophagus. I thought this would fix it but NO!

My reflux is worse because whatever is in the lower stomach comes back up into the upper and then sits in my esophagus when I lay down to sleep until I have to throw it up. Even when I havent had anything after 6pm. I still cant eat ANYTHING.

I think I have a slip. The only thing I can keep down is watered down protein drinks.

I tried eating after the fill was taken out and it went down but some came back up. I was so thirsty I drank a lot of water and while I was asleep it came up and even came out my nose! I tried one more time to eat soft solids yesterday and all of it I thew up.

So I only dare drink the watered down protein drinks. It's good enough to keep me going and I feel really good as long as I don't eat.

I can't drink water alone.

I need to know what I should do or who to see to get it checked.

Someone said get an upper GI. Who does that?

I'm not worried if all it is is a slip.

I am worried if there is erosion.

I started out at 179 and now I am at 156.

If I have to take it out, I'll just have to lose that next 20 myself.

I have loved the band though and I will be sad if I lose this tool. But I don't keep ALL the rules. If I did, I wouldnt be here in this situation.

Who do I call?

Have any of you experienced anything like this and it just been an inflamed stomach?

I don't think I'm gonna be that lucky here.

I'm pretty sure it's slipped.

Anybody know how much it costs to have it taken out?

Here in USA?

Mexico?

Hello all! It's been a long time since I posted.

I quit posting because I have a stalker friend and she will probably get this because she is probably linked on to me but what the heck ~ She is SOOOO psycho ~

Sarah you are a PSYCHO!!! Mind your own business...:thumbdown:

Anyway

I think I may have a slipped band.

I was banded 8/6/05 by Dr Ortiz.

Thoroughly happy with him and everything until recently.

Things have been good up until the last 2 months.

Lots of bping because I can never tell if it will let me eat or not and so when I try and it won't then I have to throw up.

Sometimes it would let me eat, other times not but if I had the band set any looser it would let me eat all day anything.

(I had about 1cc in it)

So I decided to leave it tighter rather than looser.

When it's tighter, I could only eat or drink between noon and 6pm. This was working great for me. I was losing about 3lbs a month. It could have been more had I cut out the carbs that I love : )

I got sick around Christmas twice and that was bad. I think that THAT throwing up screwed my band up.

After that I could only eat solids occasionally.

Now it's worse.

The past two weeks it's been only some types of mushies and Protein drinks. Still just between noon and 5 or 6pm to avoid reflux as much as possible.

I got very dehydrated the end of Dec - early Jan to where my eyesight was blurry and my eyes were sunken, I was weak, dry mouth, thirsty, my urine was very dark, and I was literally dreaming at night about drinking lots of water!

But I eventually figured out how to fix that.

Get all my Water in through watered down Protein Drinks eating no mushies or solids until after I have had ALL my liquid, otherwise the mushies or solids would plug me up for the day.

During Nov till just a couple weeks ago I would joke that I was like a snake. I could eat solids and have a regular meal and then not be able to eat much for a couple of days. The band would just tighten up a lot. The bad part about that is that when I would try to eat I would throw up if it wasn't ready for food that day and so it began to be a lot of bping. Sometimes 10 times a day or more. I was hungry though.

I have also had bad reflux the past 3 mo.

I had all my fill taken out 3 days ago and rather than feeling open, it felt more swollen in my esophagus. I thought this would fix it but NO!

My reflux is worse because whatever is in the lower stomach comes back up into the upper and then sits in my esophagus when I lay down to sleep until I have to throw it up. Even when I havent had anything after 6pm. I still cant eat ANYTHING.

I think I have a slip. The only thing I can keep down is watered down Protein drinks.

I tried eating after the fill was taken out and it went down but some came back up. I was so thirsty I drank a lot of Water and while I was asleep it came up and even came out my nose! I tried one more time to eat soft solids yesterday and all of it I thew up.

So I only dare drink the watered down protein drinks. It's good enough to keep me going and I feel really good as long as I don't eat.

I can't drink water alone.

I need to know what I should do or who to see to get it checked.

Someone said get an upper GI. Who does that?

I'm not worried if all it is is a slip.

I am worried if there is erosion.

I started out at 179 and now I am at 156.

If I have to take it out, I'll just have to lose that next 20 myself.

I have loved the band though and I will be sad if I lose this tool. But I don't keep ALL the rules. If I did, I wouldnt be here in this situation.

Who do I call?

Have any of you experienced anything like this and it just been an inflamed stomach?

I don't think I'm gonna be that lucky here.

I'm pretty sure it's slipped.

Anybody know how much it costs to have it taken out?

Here in USA?

Mexico?

I just experienced the same thing I was in the hospital , but the band did not slipp. It was still neatly in place with all the pb and dehydration. The dr. said it was too tight. and when he took all the feeling out. But if u r still sick, and weak please go to the ER , The IV they give u will make u feel alot better.

Sounds very much like my dilated pouch experience. Lots of heartburn, reflux, especially at night in the wee hours of the am. I got defilled completely for 6 wks. Gained around 12 lbs. Have been filled now to a comfortable level at 5.0 and have not had a problem since. The dilation or stretch of the pouch occurs when your new little stomach cannot handle the volume of food coming at it, so it backs up into the esophagus and creates a bulging, which in turn enables us to eat even more food, but with more pbing, vomiting, reflux and etc. I found I got hungry faster than before the stretch and ate more often. Get help for this quickly, or you will develop a slipped band and could lose it as a consequence. Not worth the risk - get it checked out soon. Good luck. Let us know how you are getting on.

Priscilla,

I have had ALL the fill removed and still can't eat anything.

If I so much as chew a small pea sized piece of gum and swallow the spit from it after 5-6pm, I have to bp that up.

It just happened tonight.

I know that I have over eaten at times...

I wish it was just a dilated pouch but I'm doubting that b/c you said that they took all your fill out and you were better.

Was this immediately better or over time?

I got immediate relief and although I could not eat a lot, eventually I could eat more than the suggested 1 cup per meal. I do recall though that because of some stress I was under, I actually pb'd once after the first fill. Now I have had 4 fills and doing really well. Hope your band hasn't slipped - sure sounds strange.:confused:

You can call a local radiology clinic for an upper GI. You'll need to have a doctor order it, but if you have a follow-up doc they can easily order it. I was severely inflamed and I was told to take liquid motrin, 1/2 regular adult dose WITH your beverage (your Protein shake) every 6 hours. Within a couple days I noticed an improvement. If it is inflammation, this will make a difference. GL.

well, I'm off to Mexico to get it removed. It's obviously slipped. I had to cancel my vacation this coming week to go get this done. Wish me luck.

At least I lost 25lbs.

An expensive way to lose 25lbs!!!

Im pretty sure that I was told that the only cost would be the hospital. I was given an estimate of 3500.00 to get it back out. I'll let you know wednesday when I get back.

Hi, I think you should definately get to see a lap band surgeon, they will give you the best advice. I had a problem too, it started with waking up coughing at night and soon progressed to such severe reflux that I was actually having liquid come up at night from my mouth and my nose (sorry for the graphics). I went back to my surgeon and he said I was overfilled and took 1.5 cc out and told me to take prevacid for two weeks. It cleared up immediately for me. He did say that it may be a slip and I asked if that meant that it needed to be removed and he said NO, that does not mean a removal and just means a rest.

Good luck with whatever you decide, hope you get an MD appt very soon.

My band was slipped.

Too badly inflamed to reposition it.

It's gone.

All my fault.

My advice to anyone....follow the rules.

If you start BPing every day, you'd better make that stop.

Even if it doesn't seem to bother you at the time.

I'm here in Tijuana until tomorrow.

Hi,

My name is Amy and I am think you do have a slipped band.

I was banded November 13th 2007. I started out at 233 and am down to 142. However, in the beginning of January I started throwing up constantly, had acid reflux, and was miserable. Went to Dr. on 1/9 and found out I had a slipped band. He removed all of my fill (8cc's) and I go back on 2/6 to see if it fixed itself. I am hoping and praying.

I am so happy to find this thread. I was banded April, 2008 and have reached my goal weight. I was really happy with myself and loved my band.... Then, for the last three weeks I have had horrible acid reflux and heartburn. Today I tried drinking a SlimFast and that didn't even stay down. I have been to my doctor and he took out 1cc----that only leaves 1cc left----problems didn't go away. He didn't seem worried about a band slippage. So if I do have a stoma obstruction----what do I do now??? How do you get un-stuck? I can't exist on water!

Help!

My band was slipped.

Too badly inflamed to reposition it.

It's gone.

All my fault.

My advice to anyone....follow the rules.

If you start BPing every day, you'd better make that stop.

Even if it doesn't seem to bother you at the time.

I'm here in Tijuana until tomorrow.

Let me just say first of all how sorry I am that you had to have your band removed. I hope that you can find another way to maintain your weight loss.

In your post you say that it was all your fault that you didn't follow the rules. If you don't mind would you tell us what rules you broke or what you think in particular caused you to lose your band?? I am currently 10 days post op and I am scared to death of doing something wrong..

Also I just noticed that you had your band removed on the same day as my surgery.. I too was at Dr.Ortiz's clinic the same day as you..small world..

Thanks for your advice..