Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Docs CAN change their minds about the band

I saw a new GP for the first time yesterday. While she was palpating my belly she noticed a bump and asked me about it. I explained that it was my Lap-Band port. She asked me to tell her about my banding experience, how much I had lost, etc. I did. And then to my amazement she said, "You know, I was extremely skeptical about these surgeries, but I've been converted. They work. I've seen it over and over. You did the right thing." Yippee! Anyway, I thought everyone should know that there's at least one doctor out there (other than the bariatric surgeons) who's come to see that the band is a great tool. If only I had known about her a year ago, maybe my insurance would have covered the procedure!

Thanks Zoe-

I had a similar experience. I went to my OB/GYN and he had a similar reaction to your GP. He didn't really know much about the lap band, but he told me that he was glad that I didn't get the bypass because I don't need to lose 100 lbs.

He saw that I had lost 13 lbs. at the time of my visit and asked of my experience and how it all worked. At the end, he thanked me for my information and felt like he could recommend it to patients who asked for his opinion. He was glad that I was open and honest with him so he could pass my experience on to others!! It felt good to not be judged or looked down upon--but thanked!!!:laugh

I am so luckily to have a wonderful PCP who actually mentioned WLS to me years ago. Of course, then I was not willing to listen, but in the back of my mind his "hint" remained and I truly think it was "placed" there for future reference...if you know what I mean! Anyway, he is 100% for WLS and has been a real supporter/backer and laision with my insurance company. I was approved and my insurance will be paying and I truly believe it was because of his influence. I wish eveyone could experience a doctor like mine....I owe him my life....

My original PCP was part of a group, and one of the members of that group was totally against WLS of any kind. I remember about 2 years ago I asked her for a referral for a weight loss surgen (hmo at the time) and she falt out refused to even hear my reasons for wanting surgery. The group has split and the doctor that I stayed with was all for the surgery however she is terrible at charting and almost cost me insurance coverage of the band. There were no documented weightloss efforts on my part, even though there was a document of my cholestrol comming down 60 points without meds (due to diet). She did sit down and write a letter explaining that it was a charting error and she amended the chart to support her claims, but the insurance company was stll sceptical. I was finally approved for surgery and I made an appointment for some general labs and a last check-up before surgery when she said that I would have to provide her with a list of meds that I could not take and she would look them over and make a few notes in my chart. (previous charting expierence was bad remember??) Then she said that if she prescribed something that I should not have just let her know and she would call in something else, I guess I was hoping that she would put some effort into researching this proceedure and the after effects and limitations, but that was not the case. I called a lady that runs a RNY support group and ask if there was a WLS friendly PCP in our area and she gave me the name of my new doctor.(80% of his patients have had some form of WLS) He wants to see me 2 weeks post-op and then every 3 months for the first year to check my progress and do some bloodwork. When I was finished with my first visit he patted me on the back and said, it is great that you love yourself enough to do this, congratulations on a new life. I felt 100% better leaving that visit like I had an advocate to help me with all of this. It is nice to see that there are doctors out there that do care. ~Mandy

When I got the referral to my surgeon, my GP was away on holidays, so I saw one of her associates. After surgery, when it was time for my regular check up with my GP, I was scared to death to tell her about it LOL. She's a very opinionated doctor, but that's one of the reasons I trust her with my health.

She said to me, pretty much what your GP said to you. It felt amazing, knowing that she was behind me on that. She's also started referring people to the surgeon I used, as I was so happy with him.

Yep, both my GP and my GYN have been very impressed with the band because of my experience. I saw my GYN the other day after not having seen her for 4 years and she was blown away. :) She said she has a friend who has been thinking about RNY but who is scared, and I told her to tell her friend about this site. Hope she visits!

i went to my pcp very apprehensive of what he would say and to my amazement (which i should have known because he has been soooo supportive in everything i do) he was all for it. he explained to me that he has patients now that have gone through it with his help and he has seen amazing results. he told me to keep him informed of the progress and his entire staff has helped me with getting insurance approval and referrals. i love it when you can find the right pcp and you can feel totally comfortable telling and asking them anything :)

My internist is just floored @ my success. My plastic surgeon told me the other day that I look like a kid. I almost kissed him. His only experience has been w/bypass who have had good experiences.

My PCP was interested in the Lap Band. When I asked her about a referal, she did, but really didn't know anything about it. So everytime I go and see her she is amazed at my weight loss, and has done lab work and can't beleive that it is all good. I was her first lap band patient that she has worked with post op. So I am teaching her alot about the band. :) and I am loving to show her the results.