Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Realize Bandsters please come in...

Ok so I was banded on June 26th, and to date I have only lost 12lbs but alot was due to my doctor being very conservative with fills therefore I never got any restriction off the bat like most last month I got my first "stuck" episode so I figured ok I am going to get restriction from now on, ok he had already put in 8ccs for a total right?????

Well I go back today I lost 7.6lbs which was good I thought (I could lose more if I were to exercise and really eat good) but anyway we did another barium swallow because I am still eating like close to 2 cups of food and NO PBing for the last 2 weeks. Did the swallow and everything looks good no stretched anything, well I swallowed the barium and it went through so fast and my eyes were popping out thinking back to my last fill I saw the liquid almost do a complete stop before going through and now after the 8ccs I am back to the same NO RESTRICTION, restriction meaning it went right through...I am confused so they put 2ccs in and then only did it go down alot slower but not as slow as last time do you all follow me still? MEANING I am suppose to have a 9cc band and he tells me I have 10ccs in my realize band. I am so confused and thinking maybe something is very wrong, could it be I have a leak how come it went right through so easily again this time if it was at very good pace at 8ccs damn this is so discouraging seriously. Any others share the same experience of filling more than what thier band is SUPPOSE to hold?

I have read multiple times that you can be filled over the limit if necessary, going over 9cc's is entirely possible.

Did your doctor extract the saline currently in the band to get a measure of how much you have in the band? If not, I would ask him to do this next time to ensure that you really have that amount in the band. It would also help to diagnose a potential problem such as a leak.

I have the realize band and lost 30 lbs since March which I feel sucks. I was told I have a 9cc. band. So far I have had 3 fills and now I have 5cc in my band and still can overeat. What is wrong with me. I want to feel that sweet spot and don't.

Thanks ladies YES he is doing the unfill to measure it exactly on the next visit, however I don't think I will make it to the regular scheduled appt. because I am unable to to eat and only drink little I have lost another 6lbs in 4 days this can't be right ugh all I want is restriction that full filling when eating small portions this is challenging I tell ya but when I get there I will so be happy.

Thanks ladies YES he is doing the unfill to measure it exactly on the next visit, however I don't think I will make it to the regular scheduled appt. because I am unable to to eat and only drink little I have lost another 6lbs in 4 days this can't be right ugh all I want is restriction that full filling when eating small portions this is challenging I tell ya but when I get there I will so be happy.

Wow, it sounds like you went from no restriction to overfilled. However, the fill level when you are close to your sweet spot can be changed dramatically by very small levels of fill. It sounds like you not only found it but passed it by.

If you can't eat and are only taking in liquids, you should schedule an appointment right away.

I didn't do this when I got too tight and over a 3-4 day period I went from uncomfortable to an inability to even drink. My stomach got irritated from my attempts to eat anything and swelled. When I went in for my emergency unfill, I was absolutely miserable. I had a 4 hour drive and I was hating life every single moment of that drive. Also, because of the irritation in the stomach, I had to be unfilled by a larger amount that took me to no restriction within about a week. Waiting too long set me back.

When you do get an unfill, ask for a very small one and plan on staying near the office for a while. Make sure you can drink a large bottle of Water before you leave, even if it takes 30-60 minutes.

One more thing, my fill doctor gave me some advice when I was in for the emergency fill. I will share it with you, but ask your doctor as well because this goes against what they usually say. She said that if you ever get to the point where your stomach is so irritated again, an adult sized dose of liquid children's Motrin will reduce the swelling. I mentioned that it was on my list of never take medications. She said that you should never take it regularly, but in the case where you have a lot of stomach swelling, one or two doses will help and causes no long term damage. However, it is never to be used regularly.

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you Heather...

Ok just got back he would NOT unfill me. Reason is we did a barium swallow and it went through kinda fast to him and well to me too, he says that I may not be chewing good BUT I SWEAR I chew so much its not even funny! And he said I take too big of drinks "never gulp" he says. Ugh I am doing all the wrong stuff and instead of experiencing the getting sick I just rather not eat and he said that is a big NO NO!!! So today I have to try and eat something and I will. So I am at 10ccs still and hopefully will "learn" how to eat right and slow down..but I swear the eggs I ate yesterday were the size of maybe a kidney bean and I chewed it good so who knows what is going on with me. I have restriction it's what I wanted but dag nab it....Thank you everyone!!!!

OMG I have the same exact problem but i am at 7cc's. I was vomiting alot and the doctor wouldnt take any out either. it's been about 3 weeks now and it's alittle better. i cant eat Breakfast at all. i am not losing much weight either. this sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Missy123c,

My Doc explained the other day that because we lay down at night the Water which is normally in our legs is in our upper body giving the band a false sense of a larger fill. Therefor it's sometimes hard to eat in the morning until we level out. I'm at 3cc's on the realize band and I feel a little restriction but only in the morning.

GOD Bless!

(Remember Yesterday is History, Tomorrow's a Mystery, and Today is a Gift. That's why they call it the Present)

Well I know earlier I wrote after my last fill but thank God I finally got my sweet spot - I can only eat 2oz of food at a time and can't wait until my weight falls off.

Edited by Hartsdream
I need to change my weight loss my ticker and it wont let me why

Well it seems I have been complaining too soon. Since my last filling I have had no hungry and I can only eat 2 oz. at a time. Yes sweet God I finally feel its working !!!!!