Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Disappointment

Today my wife received the news that tomorrow is her last day at work. They are down sizing and her along with 14 others are all losing their jobs tomorrow. This news is hitting us really hard. She got the warning about 2 weeks ago that this might happen by the end of November but we didn't expect it this soon. This has come as a really hard hit to us since my work at the beginning of September had reduced company wide everyone's salaries by 20% instead of layoffs.

My first reaction has been to eat. Granted I am not banded yet so I don't have to worry about blockage or anything like that but I have been doing so well in preparing for the band. Next I started thinking about weather I should get banded or not since it is a major cost impact that we are going to have to take. Just so many mixed feelings and fears going on right now.

My wife has gotten a call for an interview and thankfully that is on Monday but she also learned that the job she applied for that they had also had over 400 resumes for the same position. We're not talking about a top paying job. We're just talking about an administrative assistant job. The one good part that hopefully will be good in all this is she knows the gal that is interviewing her and is a company that she had done business with for 4 years in an older job that she had.

Right now we're both just praying that God has a plan for us. She is very scared I know and all I can offer up to my wife is my support to tell her that we will make it through this. With our 13 month old son tougher times then we've already been going through this last two months are ahead.

Anyway I just wanted to share this with others. I really didn't know who to talk to but I figured this was a good place to talk.

Thank you for listening.

Hi Florida Pete, Sorry to hear about your troubles. Things always have a way of working themselves out even when we can't see how. Your wife will get another job I'm sure. Go ahead with your surgery and be positive about it. Things will then start looking better. Good luck to you both. Stay positive.

saleel22

Pete, I'm so sorry. I'm sure both of you are in shock. Hang in there, do what you BOTH need to do for your family and make sure both of you are on the same page with things. Ask her how she feels about continuing with surgery plans. Make sure your lines of communication, ESPECIALLY with the sticky things or things you just DON'T want to talk about, stay open. Both of you need to talk about what's going on in your individual heads (yes, Pete, that means feelings too! :) ). Stay open to each other and pull together. If you keep talking to each other about anything and everything during this time, you will weather it fine. Things break down when the communication stops. I'm a huge advocate for communication ALL the time but it's really important when it feels like things are falling apart.

Take care! Let us know how the interview goes. Your family is in my prayers.

Hi Pete, I am so sorry to hear about your wife. Unfortunately, this is something we are hearing way too much of right now. We are in the same boat. My husband was informed on Monday that as of November 1st, his position has been eliminated. Of course, that is my birthday, what a crappy present. Anyways, lets keep our fingers crossed for each other that our spouses find a new job quickly and that we get through this unscathed.

Pete,

I am sorry for the tough times you are going through right now. I have said a prayer. As you stated, God has a plan for you.

What size is your son wearing? Maybe someone who reads your thread has some children's clothes that might fit him. I am sure with a growing child what he is in now won't last long. I personally would rather donate to someone I "know" than to just some random stranger, but my son is seven and long ago those clothes were given away. Let us know.

Fran

Thanks all for the support! I am so sorry to hear of your husbands layoff Susan. It is very scary but we all will make it through this. I know we will.

One thing I have always prided myself on is being a man apart from most men. I have always been very intouch with my feelings and very open about them to my significant other. We have great communication and I really feel that brings us closer together.

We have a plan set fourth to get us through the end of the year if she cannot find a job before then. I am still going to get the lapband mostly because the procedure itself and the immediate expenses around it are being paid for by members of my family God Bless them.

I'm very sorry to hear this. I was laid off, unexpectedly on August 5th. It was the same day I had my UGI and Phsyc Eval. I went to those two appointments, came into work and found out my job as been eliminated. I have been searching for a job since then but haven't found anything. I also thought about the surgery and whether I should have it. I'm not worried about the surgery expenses as my insurance will cover that but I'm worried about the extra stress on my body. The stress from the job itself has been hard on me. I'm not sleeping much and I have lost some of my hair where I now have a couple of bald spots.

We have done everything that we needed to do get this surgery approved and jump through all the hoops to get a date - I don't want to start all over and put it off.

I'm glad to hear that you are sticking with it. We need to remember to take care of ourselves even through the tough times. {{{{hugs}}}}

I am so sorry to hear about these job difficulties. DH and I have finally retired - but DH went back to work almost a year ago just because we were so concerned about our money lasting as long as it will have to. We have been through job losses several times during our careers - each time with 3 kids at various stages of school, and in time of economic difficulties making houses hard to sell and jobs scarce. Sound familiar? It is terribly hard to go through all that. You have not only the worry about finances, but also the blow to one's confidence level and the upheaval of job searching and interviews. The only advice I have is to cherish each other and support each other without question. In 48 years of marriage to the same guy, I will say those hard times made our marriage stronger than ever because we learned to be strong together. We also learned that God has a plan for us and we have to have faith in that. Pete, Susan, and Tamra, you and your families are all in my prayers this day.

Pete and Tamra, I am glad to hear you are going ahead with your plans. This means better health for you in the months ahead and that can only be a good thing!

God bless,

I got laid off a year ago August after working for the same company for 23 years. I was shocked for about 5 minutes, because I'm the family's sole breadwinner, and then really happy I was getting out of that crappy company in a declining industry. Within 4.5 months I had a better job at a better company and I'm much happier. Good luck to both of you!

Pete, I just found this. I'm so sorry for your family's situation. How did your wife's interview go? I hope she gets the job.

My husband's salary was also reduced this year, by about $10,000. And of course the price of everything went up at the same time, so it's a double whammy.

Pete, I just found this. I'm so sorry for your family's situation. How did your wife's interview go? I hope she gets the job.

My husband's salary was also reduced this year, by about $10,000. And of course the price of everything went up at the same time, so it's a double whammy.

Her interview went pretty well. The hard part is like your husband it's $10k a year less then what she was making. Good news is that it looks like she might have another interview next week for another place. No offer yet on the interview from monday but they had already told her that they planned on making a decision by the end of this week.

The best thing that has happened is the gas prices have been dropping!! WOOT! LOL:thumbup:

Hi Pete,

Check out any job fairs in your area. Local TV channel last night was highlighting MANY jobs in the KC area that aren't necessarily advertised in the papers, but contacts are made through job fairs. DH and I were surprised to see there were so many good paying jobs available. These companies were saying they could not find enough qualified people to staff their needs. Seemed many of them were good administrative positions. Might be the same in your area... It would be worth a look.

I just wanted to give everyone an update that was following my wife and I on this. Great news! Karen, my wife, got a job offer on Tuesday for a position that she is really going to enjoy. She's accepted the position and will be starting her new job Dec. 15th. Thank you to everyone for your prayers and kindness. God bless you all!

Good on your wife for getting the new job. Things will start to look better for you both now. All the best.

saleel22

Just realised that you are very close to being banded. Good luck, I know you won't regret it.

saleel22