Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need encouargement!!!!!!!

It seems I am at a stand still. I was banded on Feb 4, 2005. I started out at 420 lbs. Before the surgery I lost 10lbs, after surgery I lost another 10 within the 6weeks stage of liquids and mushies. So far I am only 388 and I keep going from 388 to 390. I feel like I should be losing more. I just had my third fill a few weeks ago. The restriction is fine but I feel like maybe I should go on a liquid phase until monday and start fresh. Does anyone have any advice?

Guest j. lynn

It seems I am at a stand still. I was banded on Feb 4, 2005. I started out at 420 lbs. Before the surgery I lost 10lbs, after surgery I lost another 10 within the 6weeks stage of liquids and mushies. So far I am only 388 and I keep going from 388 to 390. I feel like I should be losing more. I just had my third fill a few weeks ago. The restriction is fine but I feel like maybe I should go on a liquid phase until monday and start fresh. Does anyone have any advice?

Are you sure you're properly restricted? You might need more a fill. You should be able to eat 2-4 ounces of solid Protein and 1/4-1/2 cup of veggies at a meal and stay full (not hungry) for 3-4 hours after eating.

If you're restricted, how many calories are you getting in a day? Try tracking it on fitday.com for a few days and see how many you're really getting in. Should be between 1200 - 1500.

How many ounces of Water are you getting in? 64 is the minimum. I need 100 ounces a day it seems to lose weight.

How many grams of Protein a day? Goal is 60.

jayme

Well my doctor put me on a 1000 calorie diet. She said that I need to drink at lest 64 oz. of Water a day and 70 grams of Protein. I just recently started working out everyday and this is the last day of my summer classes. I will focus for the next few months on getting my restriction right and my eating habits better and maybe I will see a difference.

Your doing well so far as you are not putting on for a start.If you are anything like me you may need more exercise but not just in an exercise class...maybe more walking as that seems to work magic.Are you finding although you may not be making a chande on the scales you can feel a change in your waist line.????I have found that my fat seems softer and not firm although the scales haven't move for a while my cloths are fitting better.Take care....

OK some tough love here and if any of this doesn't ring true then tell me to butt out. Won't hurt my feelings.

What are you eating? TRUTH TIME!!!

If you are eating high caloric foods then you will stay in that lose gain cycle. You should log everything and I mean EVERYTHING even down to the one piece of candy that you didn't think would matter. It is amazing what we actually take into our bodies in a day.

How many calories are you taking in a day? TRUTH TIME!!!

This is different than what you are eating. The above is just simply listing the foods. This step is putting calories to that food. So the first step is listing the foods. Then find a good book that will teach you the calories of each food. The best one I have found so far is The Calorie Counter by Nastow. You can find it at [ame=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0743464370/qid=1121537955/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/104-9981898-2566344]Amazon.com: Books: The Calorie Counter : 3rd Edition[/ame]

How much exercise are you getting? TRUTH TIME!!!

AT least 30 min a day of activity that gets your blood pumping will be more beneficial than an hour a day for 3 days a week.

Journalling? TRUTH TIME!!!

This I have found has kept me more honest when I didn't want to be. I journal every night before bedtime. I write down my thoughts feelings dreams desires and how I felt about my struggle with weight loss. If I find I am struggling in one area then the journalling helps me get back on track.

Just some hints on how to stay on track when we fall off. And we will fall so don't beat yourself up over it.

Also, don't automatically assume you need another fill. Maybe look at the way you are eating first will help you determine if you need a fill. This is a learning process that we must work at every day. The band is a TOOL and we have to use it every day. It will not lose the weight for us we have to help it help us.

Sorry if I hurt your or anyone elses feelings but sometimes tough love is all that works. It did for me. Know that I say all this with love and compassion since I am also fighting this struggle right along with you.

AND WE WILL WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOO YAA!!!!!!

Also, don't automatically assume you need another fill. Maybe look at the way you are eating first will help you determine if you need a fill.

I agree with Penni on this 100%

Sometimes it is an attitude adjustment we need instead of a band adjustment. Being truthful with your self and accountable is what works. Just because we are eating less doesnt mean it is the right things. In the beginning, eating less the weight does come off but after several months of being banded, eating less just doesnt cut it,I know this very well, trying to get the last few lbs off. It takes hard work and being honest with yourself in what you are eating..making good choices..or the scale plays with the same 2-5 lbs

Penni is right, those little bites of this and that add up..I know this very well too :)

What you eat is important, we can eat around the band. So many rely on restriction to do all of the work, the band only restricts certain foods no matter how filled you are. I could eat soft foods all day long and never feel restriction but give me hard Proteins all day long and I feel restriction..restriction for me comes with the foods I eat and the choices I make..mashed potatoes = no restriction, chicken breast = restriction

ice cream = no restriction , beef= restriction, cheetos = no restriction, turkey breast = restriction..follow me?

The longer we are in this the harder it is, the weight loss slows down so it isimportant to make better choices , keeping track of what I eat helps me tremendously. I can see it in balck & white, then see where I went wrong if I did, then make the proper changes the next day.

Tamiko, what size band do you have, do you have the VG band that holds 10cc's? I have heard from others here it takes more then a couple of fills to get a nice level of restriction with the VG band since it holds so much more. There are several here who have the VG band, do a search in theupper right hand corner on VG band and many threadswill come up that may be helpful to you

Good Luck, dont give up..

Well I have to say girls you can put that boot right up my ass...You both are so very right as what we consume makes the final difference..However for most of us not putting on also counts.Do you ever feel which I do at times even when Iam being good what Iam consuming is naughty?I wonder if is that diet mentality???

Tamiko you will get there..walking and lots of the other passion exercise does wonders..I perfer the other when the option arises.HAH HAHAHAHA

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I am going to see the nutritionist friday 29 of july and get on a better plan. I am not eating meals like I should. I think that is a big part of why I am not losing more weight.