Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How does maintenance work?

OK, this just hit me, 8 months to the day after banding! I am clueless how maintenance with the band works. I am familiar with the Weight Watchers maintenance plan of eating more when you lose and less when you gain. But so far with the band, I am eating at my appetite and losing slowly, but losing. I am now 2/3rds of the way there.

So, those of you at or near goal, how does it happen? I know my doctor doesn't like to do fills often, "chasing the dream" as it were. But do you get a bit unfilled if your weight goes too low or is too low unlikely with proper restriction?

I have 2cc in a 4cc band. I am seeing my surgeon next week for a possible fill and will ask him then, but I am curious and, I realize, uninformed. :)

Thanks!

Denise

I keep checking back to see if someone has answered you and so far no....

I will say my understanding (and I am FAR from maintenance!) is that we will just keep on keeping on. Once I've lost all I want I figured I'd just make a little different food choices...

I have read that some people plan to get all restriction removed but to my thinking if I do that, why bother with the band? I can LOSE fine, it's keeping it off that's been the challenge for me personally.

Some get a LITTLE unfill so they can add back in favorites that may have been off limits when totally restricted....but then some don't ever get that much restriction to begin with.

I think the answer, honestly, is very individualized. I think it's kind of a non-issue. But I would love, like you, to hear from successful bandsters who have lost and kept it off a while, if they did something special, tinkered with their fills, or just went on with life.

It's a good question, hope someone who actually knows answers you! :D

for me, weight loss just eventually petered out. I didnt hit a "goal" so much as just stopped losing (a bit over 12 months ago now) so to maintain, absolutely nothing changed. I didnt eat more or remove fill or anything. But then I never went on a super low calorie high Protein diet, I ate how I wanted to for the rest of my life.

I've recently had .2 ml removed from my band coz I got inexplicably tight for a while, it relieved that totally and has left me quite unrestricted. I had a rebound gain of about 3lb, which means I"m just at the top of my normal 4-5lb range anyway, so to all intents and purposes, no gain.

But I sure wouldnt want any more fill gone. Its much harder with really loose restriction, but I feel its important to gain those skills gradually, since living with tight restriction for ever more doesnt thrill me either.

I know that Chickie has no fill at all and has maintained really well, but by and large, when you remove fill or bands, you get weight regain.

The most important thing I think is I havent let up on my exercise schedule one single bit. That is for life as much as good eating is.

Maintenance will always feel somewhat like a diet. You simply cant eat whatever you want whenever you want to and only exercise when you feel like it and stay thin.

Thank you both for your replies. I am thinking it will all become clear when I get there, which I am very much looking foward to!

Maintenance will always feel somewhat like a diet. You simply cant eat whatever you want whenever you want to and only exercise when you feel like it and stay thin.

Well said Jachut. You really hit the nail on the head.

I am stuck right now and really needed to hear that I need to move my you know what!

Cocoabean, Just stay with this forum and keep plugging away. I am 1 1/2 years out and have a follow-up appointment at the clinic. I will never stop going there. I will be seeing the nutritionist and following-up with her also, because I need the discipline.

It's different for everyone. I know I could not handle being Un-banded, but that is just me.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches